• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] what weight

laerton420

im a newbie (7mo.),55 and I love this sport.i have been trying different plastics and discs,i have had problems from the start with everything I throw just turning over into the ground,the heavier and more overstable the worse they were.so I bought a few blizzards at 138gm,146 gm.....they worked well at first,but as ive gotten better they seem to be too "flippy",so now I think I need to get me some 150-160gm discs,
am I on the right track here,heavy discs seem to much for me no matter how hard I throw them,and the light is too flippy.....oh,,,yea,im talking about drivers and mids.any advice would be helpful

try something between 155-167 for a relatively light driver. If you are having trouble with it turning and burning, try a slower driver, say something around speed 6-8. For mids, i would say 165-170 would be suitable. Form is also a critical factor as well. I suggest try and look in the technique and strategy section of the forums, as well as some vids on youtube or something.

Stability of the disc itself matters more than the weight but both come into play. Save into a strong head-wind (10-15 mph), there are very few discs that you can not get to flatten out if thrown properly so until you develop your form to know the difference, suspect form over the disc.

I agree the it is not only the weight of the disc but the speed, stability, and how you throw them. Try throwing your discs very veeerry flat from start to finish with the nose down, your hand the same height from the ground from start all the way through your follow through, throw the disc level with the ground not too high up, and only put your energy and acceleration into the last millisecond of your throw which will help you throw farther and with more spin. Don't try to float the disc or even an understable disc will hyzer out on you, try to rip it with explosive power but always with 100% control. Your discs will really soar unless it turns a little too much, then you can throw it a little higher and it will bomb.

Yes lighter discs will float more but instead of focusing so much on weight just try to find any discs that turn over juust right and fade back just a little at the end for you to have a long flight. Wide rim drivers will probably all fade too much. Try a 160ish gram star valkyrie, sidewinder, or beast.

Last edited:
There are lots of good molds out there in 150 class. Teebirds, Leos, Rocs, Avairs, and most other Innova molds.

I'll also recommend a Comet. A nice light X plastic one. If you have things going on with your form they will let you know. Having them around for the last year has done a ton for my game.

There is a thread in the bag section on sound strategy for building a complete bag. If you haven't read it give it a look.

i have found 160 to 165 to be the place where i get discs to behave according to flight numbers at 300 ft. for mids i like a little heavier for possible wind and its easier to get them up to speed, so i throw in the low 170g area. one of my longest drivers is a blizzard wraith, but its a 160g blizzard and it glides out real nice. with the lighter blizzard stuff, you realy have to concentrate on a perfectly level pull with good snap at the end. you cant run up like a bull in a china closet. and forget about throwing into the wind with blizzard. i still think blizzard plastic is a great way to find more distance for players with less power. i could throw my blizzard beast with out much effort to 300, but trying to push further it would get unpredictable for me.

Last edited:
I like my mids heavy (most are 175 and up), but my drivers are mostly in the 163 to 167 range. I also have a 149 StarLite Valkyrie and a 150 Star Teebird. I can usually get more distance out of those two lighter drivers, but only in certain low wind or downwind conditions.

I like the low-mid 160s for lightweight drivers. That's the magic range for me. 150 class (which can usually mean anything 159 and below, including 140s etc.) was too flippy and can't handle much wind at all.

You should be able to throw heavier mids though. 165-172 should be okay.

I'm guessing you are throwing 300 feet or so? Buy a Champ Roadrunner and Pro Leopard around 165 grams. Should fly nice and straight and beat in slowly.

I'm guessing you are throwing 300 feet or so? Buy a Champ Roadrunner and Pro Leopard around 165 grams. Should fly nice and straight and beat in slowly.

^this. I think that the op meant fading out into the ground not turning, especially since he mentioned that it was worse with heavier and more overstable discs. I feel like the RR or Leo in the 160's should be much easier to control and just as long as something fast blizzardy and way light. As for mids 175 and up

To add to the choir here, I'm 44, 150 lbs, and have been playing for 2 1/2 years, and my distance drivers are 150-162 grams (throw 320-360'). My fairway discs are 160-170 grams, while the rest of my discs are near max weight.

I do keep a couple of heavier overstable drivers on stand by for windy days.

I think everyone can use 170+ putters. 165+ Mids, and 160+ Drivers. If you like to go lower with blizzard or air discs that is an individual choice. I have plenty of them I break out on calm days. It is harder to use light discs in headwinds so I think whatever you carry for those situations are best to keep above 170. Light weights do help with lower arm speeds but what helps even more is getting out to play and finding what lines you can use for which discs. Basically field work. That gives you many benefits including beating in your discs and gaining confidence with those discs.

Latest posts