• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] What's the difference in these discs?

caveman62

Semi-newbie and have a hard time with distance and throwing level. I think I did what a lot of newbies did and thought, "I just need faster discs"! Yeah, no.

I tend to throw on a hyzer and finally found a disc - flight rating 8 6 -3 1, that I can get to flip up so I get a lot more distance out of it. So I bought 2 more. Same brand, same make, same flight numbers, but I can't get them to flip. I think it's the plastic used and the new ones seem a tad heavier . I don't see that the discs show what plastic is used. How can I order more of the ones I WANT?

The orange one is the one I love and keep using. The gray one is the one I can't get to flip.

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 86
  • grey.jpg
    grey.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 84
I think you're right! New discs and heavier discs are both more overstable than similar used (beat-in) and lighter discs. If you throw the new one into a couple trees, it'll lose it's stability pretty quickly. I don't think the Retro line is one that holds it's stability very well (gets understable quicker than something like Opto or Gold). Good luck out there!

The red disc is made from opto plastic. The grey disc is retro. The grey disc should break in and give you the flippy/understable performance you want. It won't be as durable and will get banged up quickly.

The hard truth is that even new discs that are made from the same plastic may not perform the same when new, and their performance will change during their lifespan. Some molds and plastics are more reliable than others, but purchasing discs for a specific shot can be frustrating no matter how long you've played. You'll notice players who prefer particular molds discussing parting line heights, dominess, and runs when pursuing their ideal disc. Some have learned to make the irregularities work for them. Part of the game is knowing your discs, and sometimes changing your release angles to accomodate their current stability.

My wife throws Diamonds a lot. I messed around with hers to the point that I now bag a couple myself.

Optos (like your red/orange one) flip up from hyzer and turn over and drift left and will maybe pan out a little at the end if I give them some height.

I picked up one in the retro plastic (like your gray one) and not only is it flatter but the parting line height is significantly higher than the optos. New, it would pop up from hyzer to flat but wouldn't turn over for me. It was just a flip to flat laser beam of a disc. That lasted for maybe three rounds and now it is really flippy and turns over so much that I have to be very careful with it or it will cut hard and roll.

I'm sure if you throw that gray one a bit it won't take long before it flies like your other one.

Weight can make a difference also....make sure your discs are as close to the same weight as possible.

Do yourself a huge favor and throw that retro Diamond into the nearest trash bin. That plastic is absolute garbage, and it doesn't AT ALL represent how any specific mold is SUPPOSED to fly.

As mentioned, those retro/prime/origio discs tend to be really flat. The plastic is also super hard, and has horrible durability. Discs made in that plastic seem to be very overstable and glideless.

Grab another opto Diamond. You can even get an air Diamond (lightweight) if you really want something flippy.

Do yourself a huge favor and throw that retro Diamond into the nearest trash bin. That plastic is absolute garbage, and it doesn't AT ALL represent how any specific mold is SUPPOSED to fly.

As mentioned, those retro/prime/origio discs tend to be really flat. The plastic is also super hard, and has horrible durability. Discs made in that plastic seem to be very overstable and glideless.

Grab another opto Diamond. You can even get an air Diamond (lightweight) if you really want something flippy.

^^This. I've had the same experience with Retro/Prime/Origio discs. It's a great putter plastic but horrible for drivers. Buy an Opto Diamond.

Each to their own, but I've had pretty good luck with Retro drivers: Saint and especially Trident. Retro Tridents can take a beating and retain their over-stability.

Thanks all. I couldn't find that disc in opto in my local Play It Again Sports so ordered a couple more being VERY SURE that they are opto. I'll let y'all know how that goes. And, I guess with the retro I'll throw them into a bunch of trees (or maybe run them over with my car a few times) to see if they'll flip.

I'm a lover of DX drivers, so I'm not some base plastic is awful guy.

....but the prime/retro stuff is awful. Everything that I've held is board flat and dumpy overstable. And then it beats to this place where if you throw it on a lot of hyzer, it just fights to the ground and doesn't go anywhere. But if you throw it with a bit less hyzer, it flips into a throwler.

stick with the Opto Diamond for awhile. great disc for learning form. never thrown Retro, but my Optos hold their lines very well over time.