• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's a good tailwind driver?

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
It's been windy here lately and whenever I throw my drivers (Wraith, Destroyer, Beast) with a tailwind, they don't fly very far and just fall to the ground at an unacceptable distance.

What are some good tailwind drivers and at what weights?

Well, Dustin, you might want to stick with what you are used to, but a lot lighter. More understable in essence, but the light weight will allow the wind to carry it further. 160 Valk is pretty sweet for some kited hyzer flips.

More understable discs with a tailwind fly more overstable; in theory, then, an understable disc with a tail wind will fly farther. It seems to work for me.

I agree with the lighter disc theory. I use a 150 talon and it glides forever especially from an elevated tee. Normally I use 174-175 overstable and they seem to nose dive too early.

So from my bag of discs and according to what has been suggested, I should drive with the following for a tailwind drive:

Understable: Sidewinder
Understable with lower speed: Stingray
Soft putter: Pro Rhyno

I don't have any lighter weight discs, so I will probably give these discs a shot before purchasing a lighter weight disc.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

139 gr. Cyclone, I know it's old school but with a straight or hyzer favor tailwind it rocks.

For annhyzer favor tailwind I use 149 gr. DX Destroyer. (best yet with 25 mph wind, 561 ft.)

Tailwind discs...

To my experience, light Understable rules with tailwinds, really stretching out that flight arc. Monarch and Roadrunners both are quite fab for me in a tailwind, if we are just talking max distance...

in a tail wind i throw a 166 wraith or a 167 teerex(on innovas site is says the teerex only gos down to 170 but i have a 167). both of these discs are beat in and if thrown in anything other than a tail wind they will turn over after 100' or so.

sometimes on total bombs i will throw an anny with a 169g destroyer for a huge s curve for max distance, far but unaccurate as hell.

I saw a guy throw a 167 Champion Valkyrie about 490 feet with the wind on a cold day at Robert Morris in Michigan. Valkyries have that glide, the only disc I've seen that is similar is Wraith.

Westside Underworld is my current tailwind driver. It flips up flat and glides far!

It's still gliding...

still...

I struggle downwind. Because of that , I experiment a lot. Lately, I've done well by going down in both speed and weight. A 156 Breakout goes far in a tailwind.

Queen if you can place it confidently. 169 teerex if I have to be more cautious.

Pro or champ valk for shorter lines.

Latest posts