• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where to go from here

However, don't be afraid of that Gazelle. Learning to throw a disc that requires a bit more nose down than a Roc, but not so much that's it's hard to throw is a good thing.

I may need to look into getting a new Gazelle then. Mine is one of my original discs from when I played back in high school, about ten years ago. It is really, really beat up and not in amazing shape. Would you suggest getting another Gazelle or is there another comparable driver that would create the same, if not better, effect?

I may need to look into getting a new Gazelle then. Mine is one of my original discs from when I played back in high school, about ten years ago. It is really, really beat up and not in amazing shape. Would you suggest getting another Gazelle or is there another comparable driver that would create the same, if not better, effect?
How does it fly?

You can get a new one if you want, but the beat up one will probably be better.

The only discs that might be slightly better than a new Gazelle are the Polaris LS, DX Cheetah or maybe a D Cyclone. They'll be easier to control than a new Gazelle up to 320' or so, but if your Gazelle is beat then it's probably just as good.

How does it fly?

You can get a new one if you want, but the beat up one will probably be better.

The only discs that might be slightly better than a new Gazelle are the Polaris LS, DX Cheetah or maybe a D Cyclone. They'll be easier to control than a new Gazelle up to 320' or so, but if your Gazelle is beat then it's probably just as good.

It is pretty beat. I know it has at least one notch from hitting something years ago. I have always just assumed that had something to do with my inability to throw it. However, recent discussions here have revealed my incredibly poor (but improving) form is more to blame. Once I graduate from the putter/mid rounds, I will pull it back out and give it a try.

Okay, another round of questions. I went out to the same course again today to build upon my progress from a few days back. Overall, it was a huge success and I can now throw my mids just shy of 300' as I actually birdied twice today and I usually only average one per round even with drivers.

Yesterday, I sort of fell in love with my new R-Pro Roc. I started out throwing it today, but starting leaning toward my D Buzzz, mainly because I could drive it farther. Should the Buzzz have slightly more glide than the Roc or would that simply be an issue with my form still? I felt that I could drive the Buzzz slightly farther, but I really enjoyed the control I was able to put on the Roc, especially on long approach shots.

Do these two discs differ in this way or am I simply not throwing them consistently still? Thanks!

Sounds about right. I beleive a Buzzz is slightly faster but probably the same glide.

Okay, another round of questions. I went out to the same course again today to build upon my progress from a few days back. Overall, it was a huge success and I can now throw my mids just shy of 300' as I actually birdied twice today and I usually only average one per round even with drivers.

Yesterday, I sort of fell in love with my new R-Pro Roc. I started out throwing it today, but starting leaning toward my D Buzzz, mainly because I could drive it farther. Should the Buzzz have slightly more glide than the Roc or would that simply be an issue with my form still? I felt that I could drive the Buzzz slightly farther, but I really enjoyed the control I was able to put on the Roc, especially on long approach shots.

Do these two discs differ in this way or am I simply not throwing them consistently still? Thanks!
Congrads on the progress!

Buzzzes are easier to throw farther than Rocs, especially on a lower line. What you're seeing is normal.

Last edited:
This experiment has been very enlightening in terms of the range and capability of my mids. On short courses such as Jimmy Porter (longest hole is 485'), do you often drive with mids? I would venture that even when I pick my drivers back up, I will prefer my Buzzz for at least 5-7 holes, and probably more as I continue to stretch the distance. I have played rounds with several guys and they almost always use drivers except on super short holes (<250').

So, in summary, on a typical par 3 course, how many holes would you drive with a mid?

I started on the same journey your starting about three months ago, discing down has drastically improved my game.

As to answer your question, it really depends on the course. If the hole is a wide open 330ft shot I will hyzer flip a DX Kite. If there is a hole that is 330ft but tight tunnel shot, I may throw a fairway driver like a Leopard or Express and keep in more on a line drive. So to be fair it really depends on how much room or what line you need and the distance.

As an estimate though I would say I throw mids on 5-6 holes a round. At my home course I throw 3 drivers a round.

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear others have benefited from discing down as well. Given my progress, I am hoping to add the fairway driver back into the lineup in the next couple weeks. But I can't say enough how happy I am to be driving the mids to the pin. I was literally struggling to push my mids past 150' just a week ago. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this conversation.

Add those discs back in and have some fun; just dont forget if things start feeling a little off to play a putter and mid only round every once in a while.

Latest posts