• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Bug spray have you had the most success with? Old remedies welcomed also!

I made the mistake of throwing a bottle of that 100% DEET in with my tent bag many years ago. The cap came off and some of it leaked out. The DEET ate holes through the tent in several spots. Had to go straight to the garbage.

And yes, definitely have to be cautious about your surroundings when applying it. I always make sure to take my watch off when spraying it on my arms (and keep it off until I have a chance to wash my arm). Also I always make sure to spray away from discs - I had a buddy that carelessly sprayed some DEET with one of his discs nearby. The entire flight plate got pitted with tiny little dots.

Eye glasses, sunglasses, fishing tackle, the plastic adjustment tab on some baseball hats....

Mosquitoes are attracted to warmth and sweat. So if you were playing a game then most likely you were sweating and your blood was warming up which is what mosquitoes look for. The best way to repel mosquitoes is to use a product that contains DEET. It may have a bad reputation now but it has been working for years and there is nothing that shows it's a bad chemical. OFF is the best choice since they have a variety of products. They have some products for when you're in the deep woods. This contains a higher amount of DEET but they also have products for children and family which contains a lower concentration of DEET. In all honesty if you don't want to wear anything, the best way to prevent getting bit by a mosquito is to stay indoors.

i'd rather be safe than sorry. good info here. http://www.naturallivingideas.com/deet-dangers/

organic-natural-bug-spray-repellent-badger.png

For a non-deet alternative, this stuff works well, and it smells amazing. Eat a bunch of garlic, and spray this all over and you should be good for all but the worst of mosquito situations.

More kudos for the mega necro bump! :hfive:

I just got back from REI, picking up some permethrin for my trip to Pittsburgh next week. I am always far more concerned with ticks than mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are annoying, but ticks scare the bejesus out of me. Years of disc golf have finely honed my hand speed, obtaining the level of mosquito ninja. Usually the word gets out via the very few survivors and his buddies rarely bother me. :rolleyes: :p.

Ran across Picaridin while shopping. I wonder if anyone has experience with this product. Here is an interesting link on it vs. DEET.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent

organic-natural-bug-spray-repellent-badger.png

For a non-deet alternative, this stuff works well, and it smells amazing. Eat a bunch of garlic, and spray this all over and you should be good for all but the worst of mosquito situations.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that one - will have to compare with "bug soother" that we use next time I need more bug spray. Bug Soother also works well and smells fantastic!

Bug-Soother-Group.jpg

Sorry for the large pic, I don't know what I'm doing.

In Texas, we have some ticks, but they're not a huge problem. Probably because of the bats that love 'em. Anyway, below is a list of essential oils that bugs don't like. I like to spray Listerine or Walmart's Equate equivalent on everything since it has eucalyptus oil in it, it's cheap and it doesn't smell bad if you get the mint. I cover my clothes, all skin, shoes and even my bag and cart in the stuff. Carry it along too. Spray the ground you're resting at and the mosquitoes won't bother you. Of course, DEET works best, but I prefer a more gentle approach to my tender hide.

Mosquitoes: Citronella, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, basil, clove, thyme, lemongrass, geranium, and lavender;
Fleas: Cedarwood, citronella, eucalyptus, tea tree, lemongrass, lavender, orange, and pine;
Ticks: Rose geranium, juniper, rosewood, thyme, grapefruit, and oregano.

In fact, looked up the Bug Soother and it's essential oils. Go to Walmart, Equate mouthwash that's "like Listerine" and a cheap spray bottle they sell there and you're set... at a much lower price point.

One more note... if you're in the south, the Tiger Mosquitoes that ravage us at dawn and dusk don't care what you smell like or if you're covered in DEET. The noseeums in Florida on the coast only care that you exhale CO2. Beyond heading for the 19th hole, I don't know what you do about those pests.

I spend a wild amount of time out on the mountain and haven't found a single spray that actually works. Even the 100% deet stuff just ruins your clothes and they still bite you.

We are experimenting on the course with natural plants though- growing mint and lemon balm around the tee boxes, which we will weedwack before leagues or tourneys. It will take a while to grow enough to see if it works or not but it's worth a shot imo.

I have resorted to dryer sheets tucked around the edges of my baseball cap a few times while working on the course. My legs and the back of my arms still got tore up but they weren't in my eyes or gnawing on my neck.

OFF Deep Woods has always worked for me. It will leave stains sometimes on my hats but I have to clean those anyway because of how sweaty they get. Mosquitos and Deer Flies are my enemies & this spray keeps them away.

Carlic. You can eat it and you can brush your skin with it. Simple and cheap. Keeps basicly all living creatures away from you.

I spend a wild amount of time out on the mountain and haven't found a single spray that actually works. Even the 100% deet stuff just ruins your clothes and they still bite you.

We are experimenting on the course with natural plants though- growing mint and lemon balm around the tee boxes, which we will weedwack before leagues or tourneys. It will take a while to grow enough to see if it works or not but it's worth a shot imo.

If its warm enough where you are, throw a few citronella plants in too.

I take a leaf off them and put it in my pocket.

As it is 90+ here ( feels 100+), I decided to play a round to see how bad it was. I don't think I've ever sweated so much, but a bonus of all the sweat was no Ticks (one was on my shirt, but it bit that, not me), even on a course that is heavily infested with them. So apparently sweat works well against Ticks, but the exact opposite for Mosquitos and Gnats.

Ran across Picaridin while shopping. I wonder if anyone has experience with this product. Here is an interesting link on it vs. DEET.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent
The best product I've found is Sawyer with Picaridin. I attract mosquitoes like nobody else I know. Lots of people say that, but I have ridiculous problems with them. I can be in a group of four or five people and I'm the only one getting bitten, and I'm being eaten alive. This stuff shuts them down for me. It doesn't damage materials. And I haven't seen a tick on my body since I started using it.

d4c9b0f2-9428-4c30-a70f-d64e1735d564_1.725044a6055629fbcf7ee745b9456ac8.jpeg

Latest posts