• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Bug spray have you had the most success with? Old remedies welcomed also!

nature's best bug repellent: Fern oil

Just rub the underside of fern leaves on your skin and bugs won't come anywhere near you. Doesn't leave behind much residue either.

The underside of leaves? That could be a lot of leaves:)

I've had decent success with the new Off! Clip Ons....it's not the best thing in the world, but I clipped it to my bag when I needed to and while I won't say it kept all the bugs away, it definately thinned them out quite a bit...

I eat more than my share of garlic and am rarely bothered by mosquitos. In fact I'll be having some tonight in my fajitas. (If you're chopping green chili, you gotta chop in some garlic.)

If you remember those monquito repellant pills they were garlic but in such a high concentration that you would smell like garlic when you took them. It clashed with my Old Spice.

Yes, I agree with about the Garlic! Since you mentioned it, I guess I haven't been eating or taking much Garlic lately. I also take the Garlique (Gar-Leek) pills, There really is something to that.

Yes, I agree with about the Garlic! Since you mentioned it, I guess I haven't been eating or taking much Garlic lately. I also take the Garlique (Gar-Leek) pills, There really is something to that.

I've found that garlic actually works better than Off! when repelling vampires as well.

If you want to have no bug worries at all. Try some of this stuff!
Its like 98% pure DEET. Its insanely strong but has a low odor. Not for use on small kids, animals, etc....
I used it this summer, I just sprayed some on my bag and my baseball cap and had no worries, other than it was so strong it bleached my ball cap!:)
418XZGfXzwL._SS500_.jpg

Heres a link for you.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B000GUN9KW

I got some sunscreeen that's like mostly citronella...total hippie product. I wouldn't have bought it except it was late season and marked down form like $12 to like $6 and it's the perfect size to carry out discing..

\/\/

I've had success with all listed items, including the burning log and dryer sheets. They have all failed at willow. I've covered myself with deet and still went home with bug guts in my hair, ears, and mouth. My suggestion is to find a course like this and go there early in the season. Bugs will no longer be a problem and friends will be amazed by your zen like coolness under the bug bomb.

Mosquitoes are attracted to warmth and sweat. So if you were playing a game then most likely you were sweating and your blood was warming up which is what mosquitoes look for. The best way to repel mosquitoes is to use a product that contains DEET. It may have a bad reputation now but it has been working for years and there is nothing that shows it's a bad chemical. OFF is the best choice since they have a variety of products. They have some products for when you're in the deep woods. This contains a higher amount of DEET but they also have products for children and family which contains a lower concentration of DEET. In all honesty if you don't want to wear anything, the best way to prevent getting bit by a mosquito is to stay indoors.

If you want to have no bug worries at all. Try some of this stuff!
Its like 98% pure DEET. Its insanely strong but has a low odor. Not for use on small kids, animals, etc....
I used it this summer, I just sprayed some on my bag and my baseball cap and had no worries, other than it was so strong it bleached my ball cap!:)
418XZGfXzwL._SS500_.jpg

Heres a link for you.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B000GUN9KW

I use the same Maxi Deet only I get a bottle of Repel (40% deet) pour half of the Repel into an empty Repel bottle and then split the Maxi Deet between the 2 Repel bottles. I spray that stuff right on my skin. No bites, no problems.

I was skeptical when my wife told me, but it works...
Put a dab of Vicks vapor rub behind each ear, inside of your arm/elbow, & behind your knees.
Sweat activated & it works...

This early summer... wet ground saturation and heat

Start with @30 percent deet aerosol. If bothered hard, a little 100% Repel pumper in my bag. Pants more often and long sleeves making appearances. Accepting slowing pace and not idiot sprinting to not get sweaty. Most of the folks I play with the move pretty slowly anyhow. Wide brim hat often as usual. No ankle socks.

I do need to consider battling gnats harder. Gotten annoyed enough this year to start to think a headnet is reasonable. This is central Iowa, not reasonable. People would assume I had a condition, phobia or eccentric. None good.

This early summer... wet ground saturation and heat

Start with @30 percent deet aerosol. If bothered hard, a little 100% Repel pumper in my bag. Pants more often and long sleeves making appearances. Accepting slowing pace and not idiot sprinting to not get sweaty. Most of the folks I play with the move pretty slowly anyhow. Wide brim hat often as usual. No ankle socks.

I do need to consider battling gnats harder. Gotten annoyed enough this year to start to think a headnet is reasonable. This is central Iowa, not reasonable. People would assume I had a condition, phobia or eccentric. None good.

Gnats don't care about deet. There's actually a very good repellent that's all natural and made in Iowa called Bug Soother. Works fantastic against gnats. I believe HyVee should carry it. If you can't find it, then get the topical pain killer called Absorbine Jr. Just a dab behind each ear and they will stay away for hours.

I wear a head net when the mosquitos get bad enough around here. Don't like applying deet around my face.

High Deet concentrate will for sure melt plastics.

Years ago on a camping trip, I put on some heavy spray at a particularly infested campground. Later that evening i went for a ride on my bicycle.

Thin, plastic handlebar tape on bikes was common at that time. My hands actually melted through the yellow pastic tape on the handlebars down to the bare metal.

Certainly caused me to think more carefully each time I apply the stuff.

High Deet concentrate will for sure melt plastics.

Years ago on a camping trip, I put on some heavy spray at a particularly infested campground. Later that evening i went for a ride on my bicycle.

Thin, plastic handlebar tape on bikes was common at that time. My hands actually melted through the yellow pastic tape on the handlebars down to the bare metal.

Certainly caused me to think more carefully each time I apply the stuff.

I made the mistake of throwing a bottle of that 100% DEET in with my tent bag many years ago. The cap came off and some of it leaked out. The DEET ate holes through the tent in several spots. Had to go straight to the garbage.

And yes, definitely have to be cautious about your surroundings when applying it. I always make sure to take my watch off when spraying it on my arms (and keep it off until I have a chance to wash my arm). Also I always make sure to spray away from discs - I had a buddy that carelessly sprayed some DEET with one of his discs nearby. The entire flight plate got pitted with tiny little dots.

Last edited:

Latest posts