• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Dye Technique works the Best.

I am just starting to dye discs. I am having a little trouble which dye technique works best. I have tried mixing the dye with rubbing alcohol and then painting it on. The dark colors like black don't take very well and end up looking purple. So obviously this technique is not working very well. I have heard about boiling the dye and letting the discs soak, but it looks like it bleeds through the vinyl alot. What is the best technique?

DON'T boil the dye mix! Get the pan/ pot to where you can touch the sides for a few seconds at LEAST. You want it warm, not blazing hot. That will take care of the bleeds, and you can do multiple dips. Better to dye slow and low than quick and DONE, because this medium is permanent.

What type of disc did you attempt to put black on?

I am just starting to dye discs. I am having a little trouble which dye technique works best. I have tried mixing the dye with rubbing alcohol and then painting it on. The dark colors like black don't take very well and end up looking purple. So obviously this technique is not working very well. I have heard about boiling the dye and letting the discs soak, but it looks like it bleeds through the vinyl alot. What is the best technique?

I haven't had any problems with black. I initially boil the mix. Rit has salt in it and you want to dissolve it. After that I use the fairly common method of looking for whips of steam but where you can still keep your hands on the pot. At about 10 minutes I check the darkness. If it still looks blue then I'll turn the stove on high for about 30 seconds to get the temperature up. I've never needed to go more than an additional 5 minutes for that to work.

If you keep getting bleeds you may want to change your vinyl. I haven't had one issue with Oracle 651. You can get it for about a dollar a yard.

yeah, i keep mine in 2 liter bottles and juicy juice bottles. i've had a few of them over a month. i just add more dye powder and water as needed