• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which event do I play?

Which event would you play if you were in my position?

• Total voters

eric40817

* Ace Member *
Im in a pickle and I'm looking to DGCR to help settle this. There are two tournments happening on August 6th that I'm interested in playing. I can only be in one place at one time so I need to decide. Here are the details

DETAILS:
Tourney 1: Trilogy Challenge at Cross Farms in Tolland, CT. One round. Travel time there: 1.25hr Cost: $30

Tourney 2: 9th Annual BlueBerry Jam at Flatrock DGC in Athol, MA. Typical 2 rounds. Cost: unknown (reg isnt up yet). Travel time: 35min

FACTORS TO CONSIDER:
-I've never played a TC, and I would love to. Havent ever been to Cross Farms. Twice as far as Flatrock. Only TC event somewhat local to me.

-I've played Flatrock. Half the distance which is great. Dont get to play a TC though.

That's a no-brainer in my eyes. A "real" tournament always takes precedence, especially when if it's less travel time. I've also heard really good things about the blueberry jam, I think you're going to have a ton of fun there. I'm bummed that I never made it to that one before I left New England.

Really depends what you are looking for and how much time you have.

If you want a more casual event that does not last as long, go to the TC. If you want a more serious competition, go to the PDGA tournament.

Personally, if time allows, I would almost always pick the PDGA tournament. However, the shorter 1 round events typically fit my schedule better.

Are the events fundraisers or for profit?

Do you care?

Neither really as I play MA2.

Looks like Ayer is only about 45 minutes from you...

Play the actual tourney, then have fun at the challenge in July.

Yea its about an hour to Devens, maybe a little less. I didnt even see that event listed... good to know thanks! I might consider that one

Really depends what you are looking for and how much time you have.

If you want a more casual event that does not last as long, go to the TC. If you want a more serious competition, go to the PDGA tournament.

Personally, if time allows, I would almost always pick the PDGA tournament. However, the shorter 1 round events typically fit my schedule better.

Time isnt really a big concern for me. Very rarely am I pressed for time on the weekends. If I am its usually known in advance.

That's not an answer to either question I asked but I'm wondering why you think it's an answer?

It is an answer, at least to the way I read your question. 1. I assumed you meant fundraiser tournament, like ones that raise money for a charity like the Wounded Warrior project. 2. I was thinking profit in the sense that I would be competing to receive monetary rewards. Neither are such type of fundraising event. I will not be accepting a profit/cash prize. Is this not what you meant when you asked your questions?

It is an answer, at least to the way I read your question. 1. I assumed you meant fundraiser tournament, like ones that raise money for a charity like the Wounded Warrior project. 2. I was thinking profit in the sense that I would be competing to receive monetary rewards. Neither are such type of fundraising event. I will not be accepting a profit/cash prize. Is this not what you meant when you asked your questions?

You were assuming the question was asked from the player perspective. I understand how that can happen and my question was not clear about who's profits I was referring to.

I shall be more specific. Is the TD profiting or are the proceeds being used for charity or non-charity but still fundraising purpose; course improvement, general park improvement, etc.

I pay a lot of attention to where my dollars go so the destination of event proceeds is relevant to me. Thus I asked if you care one way or another where the money goes.

You were assuming the question was asked from the player perspective. I understand how that can happen and my question was not clear about who's profits I was referring to.

I shall be more specific. Is the TD profiting or are the proceeds being used for charity or non-charity but still fundraising purpose; course improvement, general park improvement, etc.

I pay a lot of attention to where my dollars go so the destination of event proceeds is relevant to me. Thus I asked if you care one way or another where the money goes.

Gotcha. I actually dont know about the BlueBerry Jam but I'm willing to bet at least some of the money goes to the course. I'm sure what the structure of a TC is like from that persective but I *think* TD make money from running the event. I could totally wrong on that. I dont mind TDs making money off of events - its work for them prior to and during the events. But I'm also all for a good charity contributions. Thats why Im playing the Wounded Warrior event at Maple Hill. To answer the rest of your question - its something I would think about, but it wouldnt be a deciding factor.

Im leaning toward the BlueBerry. I like playing two rounds for various reasons. Its more than one, and I have a chance to redeem my stupid mistakes on the second round. I've just never played a 1 round event, or a TC and thought it would be cool to check out.
I just remembered how much I hate going to CT too lol.

I just remembered how much I hate going to CT too lol.

I hate CT too.

The trilogy challenge as well as all the different manufacturers "formulaic events" have profit margins. In all cases it's up to the TDs running them to decide where that money goes. Sometimes they let everyone know and sometimes they don't.

this is a question that nobody else can answer for you...... all of our answers are what "we" would do if in your position, you are the only one that knows what you really want and what you are looking for in a playing experience. just go with your gut make your decision and then stick to it. either way, all will turn out fine.

Tourneys like TCs are really nice values for the money IMO. I'd go to the TC and do some course bagging in the area afterwards since these events are usually really quick.

We had a Trilogy Challenge I went to out here last summer, it was OK but really nothing special. I would play the Blueberry Jam were I you.

As someone who has played Blueberry Jam many times over the years, this is a no brainer. Sean and Helen put on a great tourney and because it's non-pdga it is also a great party. Be sure to check the streams for free beers, fill up on free fruit, cook a mid-round hot dog at the hole 3 fire pit, and enjoy blueberry sorbet made by Helen. It is also typically a potluck style lunch, so make something good :) For those out there who haven't made the trip to their amazing private course, it's worth the drive.

As someone who has played Blueberry Jam many times over the years, this is a no brainer. Sean and Helen put on a great tourney and because it's non-pdga it is also a great party. Be sure to check the streams for free beers, fill up on free fruit, cook a mid-round hot dog at the hole 3 fire pit, and enjoy blueberry sorbet made by Helen. It is also typically a potluck style lunch, so make something good :) For those out there who haven't made the trip to their amazing private course, it's worth the drive.

Blueberry Jam !!!!

Played both courses and Flatrock is the better choice.

We had a Trilogy Challenge I went to out here last summer, it was OK but really nothing special. I would play the Blueberry Jam were I you.

Thank you guys. This is kind of what I was looking for - people who have played TCs and have feedback on them, and people who might have played BB Jam. I was leaning toward the Jam tournament, and after reading Dylan's post, Im sold on BB Jam. That sounds like a blast. I met Helen when I played there for the first time last week and she seems like a really nice lady.