• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Which high speed driver after Leopard.

Can't argue with all the Sidewinder recommendations.

The DX Teebird suggestion is good too. I know you were leaning towards premium but, DX TB's are sweet fliers.

I'd also throw out there a DD Escape in the mid 160's. For me the flatter ones have been a bit less stable and they glide.

Sidewinder is the logical choice. Other favorites in that class to me would be a lightweight Opto Saint or Discmania S-Line CD2. The CD2 is one of my favorite 9/10 speed drivers. Dead straight with a little fade, seasons into a beautiful hyzerflip or turnover disc. So underrated.

There are a lot of great recommendations here. I would add the Vision (8,6,-2,2) in Opto plastic. It's a great disc for flex shots. Mine is 168g but they have them lighter if that's what you're looking for. They don't get a lot of love I think but it's always in my bag.

Most of the 150 class guys around here and a lot of the ladies throw Opto Diamonds. They are stable and their light weight makes them very workable and glide for days.

If she needs/wants a heavier wt., stable to understable discs to complement the Leo, I'd also suggesting stepping up a speed past her Leo with a light wt. Biofusion Escape maybe Opto Fury. It should take some headwind when fresh but will quickly season to add some easier distance (15-20%) than trying to push the Leo to a point her where her accuracy breaks down.

I see a lot of Sidewinder recommends, I sometimes bag a fresh star that will do wide 400' s-curves. I've also got a 150 champion sidewinder that does a slight hyzer flip for 380' laser less than 10' off the ground. She better have some snap or a SW is just a hyzer disc for someone 250-300' consistently with an old Leo, IMO.

If your wife is legitimately throwing 300' with a Leopard (or any other disc, for that matter), then the Valk is the next disc to run with. She should have plenty of power to get a full flight out of it.

FWIW, I'd like to see a female (not named Paige, Cat, or Val) throw a Leopard 300'.

Last edited:
Too much of a step up. Go up to a Speed 9 -- Roadrunner or Sidewinder.

Agreed. Leopard to high speed driver is quite a leap. I wouldn't go past speed 10, since the Leopard is only around 6.

From Innova, Roadrunner and Mamba would be worth looking at. From other companies you could consider a UB Procul, MVP Amp, Axiom Virus, or a Westside Hatchet. I believe all of these discs are run in the 155-165 range.

The TL/DR version: Sidewinder or FD

I think I might actually have some useful feedback, although I don't think it's going to be all that different than what's already been stated. My longest (level) shots in no wind are at about 280-300'. If there were no wind, the Leopard would probably be all I need, but this is reality, so sometimes I need higher speed discs.

People keep saying 'Sidewinder', and I mostly agree with that. A Sidewinder was my first real driver. It was a beat-up 170g champion and it was great, until I lost it. I replaced it with a Starlite (159g) Sidewinder, and immediately saw a noticeable improvement in distance. It' a good disc. In fact, the Starlite one i have is such a mellow flyer, that I could probably leave the Leopard at home, and still be able to shape the same shots with it, while ALSO having a disc that handles headwind a good bit better.

However, also maybe consider a Dynamic Discs Witness. I think it falls neatly between Leopard and Sidewinder. Both my husband and I liked this disc so much, we both got one (both in Lucid plastic). I only gave mine up when he threw his in a lake, and I had other options. So now he's bagging the one I had. It fills the same slot in his bag as a Sidewinder. I seem to recall mine was low-mid 170s in weight.

If I had to pick ONE 'perfect' disc though...Fairly recently, I added an 174g Discmania FD Jackal in S-Line plastic. I bought it used, but had I purchased it new, I'd have aimed for something like 165-170g weight. Otherwise, this thing is amazing. It will fly straight for days, with a minor fade at the end. It will hold an anhyzer line well, and do a fade about like a Leopard or Sidewinder, but it also holds a hyzer line pretty well, and its glide beats pretty much every other disk I've ever thrown.

I recently picked up a 172g TL in Star plastic, to compare to the FD. They are very similar in most respects, but I think the FD edges it out in Glide.

I started playing this year, and went through a LOT of discs (mostly used), to see what I liked. I had an Eagle, Teebird, Firebird, Saint, Assassin, Thief, Witness, Destroyer, Sidewinder, Dragon, TL, FD, Dragon, Archangel, not to mention discs that were ridiculously too fast.

What I BAG is a Leopard, Sidewinder, FD, and Thief. Leopard and Sidewinder are understables, FD is stable, and Thief is mildly overstable.

So, assuming she has no interest in an overstable fairway driver, my recommendation is the Sidewinder and/or the FD. And If I had to pick just one... the FD. And if you can get it mid 160s weight, all the better.

Sidewinder is a great mold, and a natural step up from leopard.

However, if rim thickness is a significant concern, I'd lean for RoadRunner over SW. I never realized that RR was a speed 9 disc because the rim is so small. Maybe it's just me, but in the hand RR feels like a speed 7 or 8. Def has the distance potential of a speed 9, though, especially if you're into working the flippy discs.

She's not really powering up the Leo as it stands. If she's going to step up in speed, base plastic is about the only thing that she'll see consistent results from in the way of more distance. I'd have her start with a DX Leo and Gazelle in the low-mid 160's. Speed 6 gives you about the greatest percentage increase in distance from premium to base in my experience.

Last edited:
Another nod for a sidewinder. DX has a ton of glide. If premium plastic is sought not Champ go with Star or G Star.

Sidewinder, Opto Diamond, or 150 class Neutron Inertia.

DD Breakout, or a Lat64 Jade if she likes 150g stuff.
If her leopard is heavier maybe try a saint or vision

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually had a sidewinder out in the garage. She didn't get much snap and spin on it. I imagine she'll need to practice with it some. She's been throwing Dx 150 Leopards for probably a decade occasionally cycling in a glide every so often. I'm not sure of the side winders weight. Maybe I'll grab a 150 next time I go past disc golf zone.

Oh if it's a 150 class DX Leo then that changes things a lot. I'd then be looking at something like a lighter River from Lat64 or an Underworld (I don't have as much experience with what weight/plastic on this), or maybe an S or G line FD. A star Sidewinder could start out substantially more stable than she is used to....but a worked in Sidewinder would still be a good option for her once she is used to the slightly larger rim.

Latest posts