• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who would win this series?

Who really is the top pro?

• Total voters
But the evidence says otherwise. I know they don't often play in the same tournaments, but when they have MJ comes out on the short end. Here's a sample... Ricky by 2, 5, 3 and 7 in each of the rounds. Oh yeah... home area advantage no working either.

Charleston Classic

.. you do realize Charleston, SC is nowhere near where MJ lives right?

.. you do realize Charleston, SC is nowhere near where MJ lives right?

3 1/2 hours is "in the area"... I travel more than that at least once a month to play... but whatever. I wasn't the one who brought the "regional" thing into play anyways... but "nowhere near" just shows you don't have a good grasp on geography.

But the 10 touring guys rarely take places 1-10

Actually, a review just now of a the NT events this year... those that will draw the most top talent in the same field... you'll find that only a couple of folks not listed as touring pros ever crack the top 10.

In events where there may only be 5, then of course you'll get top locals in the mix.

Again... I like the sentiments and all, but the fact simply don't support the argument.

MJ has never played well in Charleston either. Looked at his track record there.

MJ has never played well in Charleston either. Looked at his track record there.

Was that a joke? I only looked at this tournament specifically over the past 6 years, but I'd say winning it 4 times and and top 5 the other two is pretty good. I'd take that track record any day of the week.

5th, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st

Was that a joke? I only looked at this tournament specifically over the past 6 years, but I'd say winning it 4 times and and top 5 the other two is pretty good. I'd take that track record any day of the week.

5th, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st

Of course it was a joke.

I would guess the number of times a top regional pro beats a touring pro happens quite often.....I think Brinster has beaten every top touring pro out there for instance. The point is that the PDGA glamorizes the tour when in reality theres just as much talent that CHOOSES to not tour anymore. I could probably make a team of non-touring regional guys who could easily match/compete with the touring guys...even on neutral ground.

Nobody on your list is currently in the same class as Ricky, or several other guys for that matter. There are 5-6 elite players that are at a much higher level than everybody else in the world. To use your example of Brinster, he's played in several big tourneys this year and his best finish is 8th at the Masters Cup. Ricky has won 3 NT's and other A tiers against the best. MJ while also a great player squeaked in the finals at Worlds last year on courses he had a tremendous advantage on. He lost by 12 throws to McBeth but also came in behind Will & Ricky. Long, tough wooded courses like they have in CLT make for a greater home course advantage than big open courses seen at many other tour stops. The ratings inflation is a whole other can of worms and really doesn't matter in this poll when the results clearly tell the story.

3 1/2 hours is "in the area"... I travel more than that at least once a month to play... but whatever. I wasn't the one who brought the "regional" thing into play anyways... but "nowhere near" just shows you don't have a good grasp on geography.

Lol wow you're upset about this, calm down. 3.5 hours isn't near where MJ lives, I don't care where you travel to it's not like MJ is waking up some days and driving down to Charleston to play some disc golf. I doubt he gets down there to play beyond the weekend of the tourney all year.

I live 3 hours from Charlotte where some of the best courses in the world exist and you know how many times I've been down there this year... twice. You know why? Because I don't live anywhere near Charlotte. Though I guess since I'm so close I'm a Charlotte, Wilmington, Richmond, Boone local and I play all the courses in those places on the reg so I know them so well.

Clearly you're the one who doesn't have a good grasp on geography. Courses 3 hours from your house aren't your local courses, that's just trying to shape the facts to fit your argument.

Fact of the matter is he doesn't need that point. I think in a nutshell he was stating MJ lives in close enough proximity that he can and does play this tourney on a regular basis. A touring player may swing through and play it once, if ever.

There is absolutely no evidence that any of these regional players are on the same level as the top few touring pros.

I guess it all depends on how frequently you are traveling three hours to play disc golf. If you do this on the regular, then you might have developed a different outlook on whether or not it is worth it to travel that far to play a round or two.

I personally have never traveled three hours to play disc golf, so I would have to say that it is definitely not your local area once you are that far out. I know many others on this site have traveled far beyond three hours to play different/new courses, and they do this quite often. Hence, guys like mashnut and tallpaul with hundreds of courses played. Pretty cool that they have been able to do it IMO.

I would have to agree with New and say that Charleston would not be considered local for MJ.

Lets simplify this. MJ plays SC tourneys on a regular basis and has for years. The Charleston Classic is one of these events, and he's played it for years. One course is a legendary temp course thats only seen once a year. Touring guy hears great things and decides to play said tourney. MJ or any other player in his position should have a clear advantage over touring players that decide to play this particular event. Especially if you throw in Trophy Lakes which plays all around ob water throughout the course which makes it tougher for someone who has no experience on it or a limited number of rounds played.

Like HH said... the regional thing has NOTHING to do with the spirit of the poll other than to suggest there are guys who stay in their region (you define that however you like... I could care less) who might be able to compete with the top pros... I say that's a nice sentiment to hold onto the but the FACTS simply don't bear it out.

Some else said MJ rocked worlds last year... he did for a round. Others said he had an advantage... I didn't not and really don't even subscribe to any home field advantage really. I can play a course maybe twice and feel comfortable with what I'll throw.

So less focus on the regional crap and more on the poll please. Regionalism is only a factor of how much money you're willing to spend for a cool DG brocation. My next one is to Des Moines in 3 a month... 6 or so hours away.

Guess I should proof-read my forum post... On second thought, neah. I proof-read my professional correspondence and technical manuals, but as I get older, it's seems my thoughts exceed the speed of my fingers...

I'll do better in the future... :doh:

Latest posts