• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Wizard, the Greatest Putter Ever vs. the judge

Wizard or judge

• Wizard

Votes: 113 72.0%
  • Judge

Votes: 44 28.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry about that. On DGC it showed the specific type (S,SS,SSS) in parentheses and didn't have anything for one of the models so I thought it just went by Wizard.

I think I'm going to try SS in 173g so I can compare it head to head with my 173g Classic Blend Judge.

Thank you for clarifying the plastic differences!!!

I noticed the predicted flight path of the Wizard (for whatever that is worth) was a bit more left than the Judge which had me a bit worried...I am more of a point and shoot type putter instead of finesse.

Glad to hear it will eventually straighten out!

Yep, I'm down with as firm as possible.. at about 173.

That sounds like me...whatever I decide I like I want to make sure it's easy to get more of the same model, plastic, weight, color, etc.

My Wizard will only be used for putting so I'm hoping 173g SS is going to be the sweet spot for my putting style.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

TripleB

If you put a fresh wizard up against your judge your going to be disappointed by the overstabiliy and lack of glide. Drive with the wizard until it's nice and beat up then do your comparison, my guess is that will save the wizard from plastic pile of death haha.

Threw and held a Wizard recently for the first time. Feels to me it is quite the bit like a P1x. i.e. Medium bead, rounded nose. Wizard maybe a little flatter. Felt good. May mess around with them a little more just for fun.

I agree, I think they have similar profiles, and they feel similar as well. I thought the D-P1x was more towards the understable side compared to wizards when driving, but I think they both qualify as neutral-ish. Like others have said, wizards just need a little breaking in.

If you put a fresh wizard up against your judge your going to be disappointed by the overstabiliy and lack of glide. Drive with the wizard until it's nice and beat up then do your comparison, my guess is that will save the wizard from plastic pile of death haha.

Prior to the Judge I used the Ringer...I am hoping the Wizard flight might be between the two.

As far as glide, I'm hoping the less glide will force me to be a little more aggressive with my putting. When I miss it's usually short for fearing of sending it too far by the target (old ball golf fears). I'm hoping the low speed/glide numbers will take that fear away.

Thanks!

TripleB

A fresh Wizard will probably have some fade for you, even on inside-the-circle putts, if you're just trying to "tap it in." It won't feel the same, but a P2 is a very popular putter that I find has lower glide and is still low fade if you're trying to lay one up. Feel is just a matter of sticking with a putter for several rounds and getting used to it, in my experience. And Wizards like to be slammed into the chains, in my experience.

My kind of thread. I have tried so many different putters. Every MVP/Axiom putter and plastic. Every variation of the Aviar, challengers, judge, even the other gateway putters and guess what. The Wizard always wins out. Always. Thankfully for me I ran across a great deal and got a bunch in the feel and flex I like.

I had one of the wizards and a warlock in medium. I was scared to carry them for fear of.beimg arrested for a concealed weapon.

There are people on these forums who would like to arrest people for not carrying Wizards.:rolleyes:

What about the hards lol, they were ceramic plates lol.

I think they stopped selling the hards and only had the mediums when I was trying out wizards. I thought the medium was rock solid, it was hard for me to imagine the hard ones. Truthfully I dont think Ive ever felt the hard ones.

Prior to the Judge I used the Ringer...I am hoping the Wizard flight might be between the two.

As far as glide, I'm hoping the less glide will force me to be a little more aggressive with my putting. When I miss it's usually short for fearing of sending it too far by the target (old ball golf fears). I'm hoping the low speed/glide numbers will take that fear away.

Thanks!

TripleB

You need to get doubt and fear out of your putting routine. Do not search for a putter that minimizes the distance of your misses - search for a putter that feels the absolute best in your hand and increases your ability to make a confident stroke every time you putt.
You are doing yourself a disservice if you are thinking at all about making or missing a putt when you address your lie and begin your routine. Empty your head, lock in on the spot you're aiming at, and trust your mechanics to repeat the correct motions to get the disc to hit your aiming point.

Thanks!

TripleB

A lot of what you are talking about is more about mechanics, like Broken said.

Honestly, I don't buy the magical Harry Potter esque moment of when you find the perfect putter and the air around you starts glowing gold and all that nonsense that sometimes gets spouted. I never actually had that with even the Wizard. I made a conscious choice to stick to Wizards, practice with Wizards, and throw Wizards and get better with Wizards.

So just pick a putter, buy 10 and practice, practice, and practice. When you go through a putting slump, just keep practicing until you come out. I switched around to a lot of putters before really making the choice to nail it down. The key to putting is practice, not the "right" putter.

You need to get doubt and fear out of your putting routine. Do not search for a putter that minimizes the distance of your misses - search for a putter that feels the absolute best in your hand and increases your ability to make a confident stroke every time you putt.
You are doing yourself a disservice if you are thinking at all about making or missing a putt when you address your lie and begin your routine. Empty your head, lock in on the spot you're aiming at, and trust your mechanics to repeat the correct motions to get the disc to hit your aiming point.

Yeah it's completely true. When I said newer Wizards fade more than I like, it still doesn't matter on short putts. Even on say a 30' putt a new Wizard will drift like 4" left for me at the end of the putt compared to a straight/beat one...enough for me to see and notice, but the putt still goes in. It's such a small fade and so late. I imagine if I am putting 50' or more it'd get more and more noticeable. Inside the circle it doesn't matter really at all what you are putting unless there is a lot of wind or you are comparing a Wizard and a Firebird...but if you putt them hard enough they should both go in.

That being said, Wizards are a great putter for feel and flight, and I do not think at all that they have low glide. They go so far on throws. And they are cheap to buy a lot of with X-outs for practice. I used to have to aim right to account for fade on a putt for even 25-30' putts. Over time my technique improved so now I can putt 40'+ pretty much dead straight. You just have to get the right disc angle and a fairly aggressive putting stroke, and you can make most putters go straight for a long way, even without risking long comeback putts.