• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] xXx or Trident?

I have both but carrying both is a waste. Not enough difference in them IMO. The XXX I think is slightly more of a meathook and I can get it maybe another 20-25 feet distance wise but they are very close. The trident is just more of a utility mid while the XXX is closer to a utility driver.

Duckbutter-at 350 max distance you probably won't get anything out of a trident or xxx that you don't get out of the spirit except better plastic. The stiletto is kind of in a whole new category of it's own. Still doesn't sound like you would have a need for that either.

I have both but carrying both is a waste. Not enough difference in them IMO. The XXX I think is slightly more of a meathook and I can get it maybe another 20-25 feet distance wise but they are very close. The trident is just more of a utility mid while the XXX is closer to a utility driver.

Duckbutter-at 350 max distance you probably won't get anything out of a trident or xxx that you don't get out of the spirit except better plastic. The stiletto is kind of in a whole new category of it's own. Still doesn't sound like you would have a need for that either.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. You are right, at 350, all the Spirit does is HOOK and that's why it has it's one spot in the bag. If I ever get tired of the EVO plastic maybe I'll look into the XXX.

Love my Opto Trident for Mid range right to left action.

Almost lost it this morning trying to use it as a Forehand roller - gotta work on that in the field before I take it to Dela Hole 4...

I also tried to use it to hyzer bomb hole 2, uphill and far to the left, but I threw it too flat and it never faded correctly. I think I need a longer OS driver for that one, maybe XXX or Firebird, or just be a better thrower.

I've been playing with these discs for a week or so now and I just want to clear up the stats on these things.These are the stats that I think the disc feel like when thrown.

The Trident is a Speed 5,Glide 3, Turn -1, Fade 4

The XXX is a Speed 7,Glide 3,Turn 0, Fade 5

Some of the disc golf stores has the Trident listed as a 7 and the XXX as a 9.These two discs are not in the speed range that is listed on those sites.

There is also a big difference between the two. Depending on the distance of the shot both of these discs deserve a spot in the bag. You'll be glad you have them in there.

I've already saved par 4 times with both discs. 3 times with the XXX and 1 time with the Trident. These things are great. :thmbup:

Love my tridents, couldn't get by without em. I shelved a mega stable red 175 domey goldline because it overlaps with my Flick. I bag a 166 flat opto, go to forehand mid that will not turnover, and is amazing for shaping lines. Feels like 7 2 -1 4. Great for tommies that you want to break slightly right.

I'll just revive this:
I'm getting back to mids and wondering if a trident would cover the OS slot. Or is there too much overlapping with XXX? We have a handful of 165-169 Gl tridents in local store and wonder if these are more versatile in lighter weights? Thx.

From my experience with both, they dont overlap very much. The XXX has an earlier fade and a more pronounced fade. The tridents were pretty straight for more of the flight with a strong fade at the end, but not a fade where it dumped hard left (RHBH). Both of the ones I threw were GL and both were upper 160s FWIW.

Great, thanks. Then to next question: are they easy to control? I mean, they def don't feel like a mid but do they fly like one? Trying to find something OS to throw on 250-350'.

Great, thanks. Then to next question: are they easy to control? I mean, they def don't feel like a mid but do they fly like one? Trying to find something OS to throw on 250-350'.

IMO the Trident was more like a fairway, id say closer to the flight of a teebird with a lot of beef at the end. The XXX I had was more like a long mid. The trident for me was easier to judge distance with (because it wasnt as beefy as the XXX throughout the whole flight).

IMO the Trident was more like a fairway, id say closer to the flight of a teebird with a lot of beef at the end. The XXX I had was more like a long mid. The trident for me was easier to judge distance with (because it wasnt as beefy as the XXX throughout the whole flight).
So a beefy, slower teebird? Sounds good :thmbup: I use XXX along with my tb's on 350+. Ofc for some utility shots too.

Last edited:
Oh. Well. Need to think about it again then. I can get my XXX as far as tb but it needs a huge flexshot. Maybe I'll look for other options then.

I pretty much just gave up on the ol XxX. I never really had any shots for it and I had that rare occasion when I would use it as a tomahawk or forehand shot.

Now my Trident is finding much more uses. The Trident has pushed out my Stalkers and the XxX. The Gold Line Trident is starting to beat in a little and it's getting a bit easier to get some distance on it. It's great for forehands,Forehand rollers,Flex Shots,Skip shots,spike hyzers and the lot. I may end up getting one in Opto as well.

After reading all the posts here after deciding which one to chose, I think I'm going with a heavy Opto Trident first. It sounds like at least if your going to get one first try the Trident. As far as OS driver spot I think for my arm, the Villian does that just fine.

Really like my XXX and use it quite a bit in the wind RHBH and thumbers. But.......just played around with a trident last weekend and was really impressed. Tough call man, good luck choosing!

I am curious about the trident, i think ill give it a try and see if it has a place in my bag. If anyone has one theyd like to trade let me know.. preferably under 170g.

Tridents are fantastic utility discs. I use it as one would use a massively overstable midrange (220-300) since Latitude doesn't really have a super overstable mid. The XXX is usually just kept at home and only brought out when it's crazy windy or I know the course I'm going to will need a huge thumber.

Latest posts