• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your putting style

Which pro is closest to your putting style?

• Total voters

seedlings

* Ace Member *
TLDR: which pro is closest to your putting style? For me it's KJ (sans making lots of putts).

I started putting staggered, from belt buckle, straight line toward the basket. What I found was nearly every putt that was from the tree line (and deeper) would not allow a staggered stance, and forced a straddle. So then I was like, 'why not always putt straddle?' And since switching, it is extremely rare when I am obstructed and must putt staggered. Almost never.

I also push putt because I hit metal more often, it goes best with straddle, and doesn't travel as far past basket.

Last edited:
No clue. I don't watch enough coverage to know what any of these dudes do when they putt. I wouldn't be able to pick most of them out of a lineup of disc golfers...But mine is something of a push/spin, I suppose. I chose "Other."

When I was figuring out how to get the disc to the chains from about 25 feet, I copied Dickerson.

Staggered stance, create power from the back leg, exaggerated follow through, and I don't create a ton of spin.

Other...I tend to straddle putt and I modeled it somewhere between Barry Schultz and Nikko's

Inside 30', I kind of prefer straddle as I seem to throw more straight with a straddle/push putt. Beyond 30', it's hard to get enough power without some kind of jump putt, so I stagger/spin putt.

I used to be pure spin with technique similar to Paige and Simon, but I've started bringing the disc a bit lower and giving it more air somewhere between Paul and Eagle, quite similar to Brodie I'd say.

Oh boy, depends on the day. I try to emulate the motion of Rick (being intentional with following the whole body through), but think my overall stroke is pretty generic (a La McBeth). Some days, when the groove isn't there, I will try to work in a straddle, but it's not consistent.

Bent-arm spush putt. I don't think any of the top pros' putts look like mine.

This may partly explain why they are pros and I am a hacker. :rolleyes:

Cross between Ricky and Paul. I would consider Ricky a Splush though. Kind of a grey area. I mean everyone spins it, how much is the question.

I would say I lean Ricky more but with more of slight hyzer like Paul. I use to putt like Kevin and still can and do from different lies. I also putted like Eagle/Simon more of a high spin high power, but I went away from that style as well as it was making more 30 foot comebacks then I enjoy to have. It's great when it's on but I hated 3 putting every so often so no more high spin.

Unlike Paul though my nose angle is flatter to a fraction down. I just feel like it catches weak side better. Also I can be a little more aggressive and not have 25 foot comebacks.

I've been on a Cam Todd pterodactyl style recently.

I putt like Catrina Allen. Anything outside of 20' is a miss.

attachment.php

I've been on a Cam Todd pterodactyl style recently.

I almost put Uli/Kona as an option. But 2022 they'll probably putt differently again.

Unfortunately Garrett Gurthie I guess. I spush hyzer putt with neutral putters.

I really tried to jam them in with flat spin putts but something about rolling my wrist over to get it flat was aggravating a nerve in my neck so I couldn't really practice enough. Just started hyzer putting with a clean natural release and actually got decent.

I've tried different techniques but mostly settled on mostly push style where I bring the disc low, with some action involving the non-index fingers fanned on the bottom of the flight plate to deal with hyzer angle to keep it flatter and add spin. Seems similar enough to Ricky's style, although initially was trying the low 'reach back' like Conrad. Largely came about after practing stradle putting for a bit.

When I was figuring out how to get the disc to the chains from about 25 feet, I copied Dickerson.

Staggered stance, create power from the back leg, exaggerated follow through, and I don't create a ton of spin.

Love the pace Dickerson puts on his putts. He's got the sticky sauce.

The poll doesn't allow for multiple selections ... ??

My universal style is probably more like Calvin's - staggered stance, a slight spring upwards from the forward foot, disc comes up and out. The straddle putt is intentionally modeled after Barry Schultz'; it works well and I use it if laterally obstructed or there's OB or other danger past the basket. In headwinds I'll go to a dead flat spin from a staggered stance; I've seen Simon putt that way. From 50-75' it probably more like Paul's (?), staggered, pronounced forward weight shift, disc come out from my waist, maybe with a bit of anhyser ala MJ.

I guess my selection should be "Other(s)".

I really like the way Paul loads his weight downwards and not back. I also find the tip of using your left thigh as a sort of backstop for your downswing. It's a little lower than I would usually go, but something about that extra bit loads your body in just the right way.

This clinic is terribly filmed, but I think it is one of the best I've seen on putting. Paul's knowledge was sort of expertly focused by Sexton when they were on the road together.

My style is closest to push Nate Sexton. Of the ones on the list I guess KJUSA is most like push Nate. Or maybe Calvin whne straddle putting.

eagle McMahon is a spin putter imho, not "Spush".

I don't like the term "push" -- I use "hybrid" style when teaching it.