• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 PDGA Pro World Disc Golf Championships: Monterey Bay, California

Every time I checked the scores, Doss was like 20 to 40 under..so what did he finish at?

Pdga site says +66.

Watched in person from 9am til it was finished. Got to see the lead mens and lead womens groups do the semi's and finals. It was a blast. Nate was in PRO form and no one was going to get too close to him if he had anything to say about it. Every time someone picked up a stroke on him, he would just throw a huge tee shot and park it. It was enough to discourage anyone from coming too close.

Will was playing very well, but had some bad throws that kept him from capitalizing when he was rallying. He also must have got REAL bad poison oak on the back of his neck at the start of the week. It must have been very annoying to deal with during this tournament. You could literally see the huge boils and blisters and they looked itchy as hell. His composure and professionalism can be seen every time he steps up to the pad. Great job Will.

Josh Anthon is a rough guy, but he has won a lot of respect from me over this last week of watching him play. He is NOT bothered by the pressure and this DG stuff just seems like another day in the park for him. I will say that on the final 9 holes he did get pretty upset when someone's camera made a bunch of noise as he was putting in a 10 footer. It bothered him and he missed the shot, so he didn't hesitate to let them know whats up in front of over 200 spectators. He also rolled a few shots as good as ANYONE. First at De La Vega, he parked hole 10 by rolling his putter over 350 feet. Nate laughed after he did that and said he wished HE had a putter that could do that. Then today I saw the impossible at Pinto Lake. Anthon parked another roller with his putter or mid on hole 3! This hole runs all along a hillside with more than a 30° slope and has a super tight corredor of trees too. His roller has to set up on a 30° hill side and roll along it over 400 ft to the pin. AWESOMENESS!

Page Pierce was my pick to take the ladies side. She has worked more on her game and it shows all the time. Every time I see her play, she seems to get a little better. Today on the final 9, she drove hole 1 farther that everyone... Farther than Nate-Will-or-Anthon. She then went on to hole 2 where she proceeded to out drive the men again. Some of this is luck, because the drives go through a lot of trouble (trees, OB, crowd), but she ended up farther and it is making a huge impact on what we think is possible for women's disc golf. I was more interested in the girls group due to the fact that the lead was closer and a battle was taking place. This is good.

Sarah Stanhope was super impressive this week. I spoke with her after the final and asked her if she has been secretly working on a backhand. She said she has been working on her backhand drives and she has worked more distance from those shots as compared to her forehand. She drove many holes backhand that I would have thought she would choose a forehand on and they surprised the hell out of me with their accuracy. She also told me that she is going to be working on her backhand approach shots (something she seems to feel uncomfortable with at the moment) and to look out for more improvement. Go Sarah!

Thanks to the players and staff that have such a huge love for this game and made all this possible. TRUST me that everyone involved with this PDGA Worlds is a DG fan first and foremost and carries a passion for our sport that can even make Liz Lopez cry. :)

PDGA dues will go up up up. Where else is the money gonna come from?

The budget they posted says they have half a million in cash "profit" from last year sitting in an account, waiting for the new board to decide what to do with it. That's part of what made this latest election so important. The new board will have to decide what to do with all of the excess cash from the recently emerging revenue stream. Will they buy more ads on CBS sports, develop more mobile apps, get the website up to par, funnel the money to companies (which they may even own) in their own communities, or something else?

@ MARZAC 2...great reports this week. Sarah S. Is working on backhand approach shots. She has been looking for an understable mid and fairway driver for this purpose. She throws with such force that DX Stingrays continue to break when they hit trees for her.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see her on tour more next summer and she becomes a monster on the womens side. She posted on her facebook last night that both Paige and Val were in a zone and just played awesome all week. We'll see Sarah back on top in no time.

jenb - The budget they posted says they have half a million in cash "profit" from last year sitting in an account, waiting for the new board to decide what to do with it.
The real amount available is about $150K. The remainder is simply a three month operating reserve that is the minimum recommended for good fiscal management in a business, profit or non-profit. A Board committee will oversee the application of the $150K over time primarily as suitable grassroots development ideas emerge.

PDGA dues will go up up up. Where else is the money gonna come from?

This probably won't happen. They would loose way to many members who just like to play random tournies all thoughout the year. Those that have hard time paying the price as it is.

First of all, I want to thank everyone who tuned into the broadcast. We honestly couldn't do it without you.

Second, I want to apologize for my "sniffling". With the extreme dry conditions and all the dust that was getting kicked up from the spectators and players my sinuses were killing me. The microphone that we have is very sensitive so that we can pick up all the sounds from the play and players, and I didn't realize that I was doing it until I got a text from someone. At that point, I made a concerted effort to push the microphone away and take care of my snot issue. :)

This was my first time doing commentary for DGPL and I was really thrown in at the last minute. Normally Terry does the broadcast, but with him playing (and cashing) someone had to tell you guys what was going on.

I have not had a chance to go back and watch any of the replay yet, but I plan to and hopefully take some notes as to what I can do to improve in case I am needed again in the future. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is always welcome for me or the broadcast.

Thanks for tuning in. This is Jonny *sniffles* Van Deurzen signing out. :)

Congrats to the winners. Glad Jon Baldwin got a win, really cool guy. :clap:

He also must have got REAL bad poison oak on the back of his neck at the start of the week. It must have been very annoying to deal with during this tournament. You could literally see the huge boils and blisters and they looked itchy as hell. His composure and professionalism can be seen every time he steps up to the pad. Great job Will.

He has that skin condition on back of his neck at USDGC last year when I was there so I guess it is some kind of skin condition. But hell, he plays GREAT! He has great future for sure! Kudos to Nate and his 3x!

He has that skin condition on back of his neck at USDGC last year when I was there so I guess it is some kind of skin condition. But hell, he plays GREAT! He has great future for sure! Kudos to Nate and his 3x!

OK thanks. I didn't ask him about it and just assumed that since 80% of us that played or volunteered the courses got poison oak, that he had it too. :doh:

He got lucky if he didn't get it. It was everywhere! :gross:

Congrats to the winners. Glad Jon Baldwin got a win, really cool guy. :clap:
Jon dominated from wire to wire!! He played Pinto on Tuesday with only one OB penalty (on #2 which is highly probable if you are driving and not laying up half way) that day!!

First of all, I want to thank everyone who tuned into the broadcast. We honestly couldn't do it without you.

Second, I want to apologize for my "sniffling". With the extreme dry conditions and all the dust that was getting kicked up from the spectators and players my sinuses were killing me. The microphone that we have is very sensitive so that we can pick up all the sounds from the play and players, and I didn't realize that I was doing it until I got a text from someone. At that point, I made a concerted effort to push the microphone away and take care of my snot issue. :)

This was my first time doing commentary for DGPL and I was really thrown in at the last minute. Normally Terry does the broadcast, but with him playing (and cashing) someone had to tell you guys what was going on.

I have not had a chance to go back and watch any of the replay yet, but I plan to and hopefully take some notes as to what I can do to improve in case I am needed again in the future. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is always welcome for me or the broadcast.

You might not be the right one to talk to about it but I would very much like to see a mobile compatible stream so I can watch on my iPhone or iPad. Please and thank you!

Thanks Sniffles!

Jonny you did a very nice job. I appreciate the time you put in to doing the coverage. I would have had a ton of trouble keeping up a steady dialogue/monologue for those 5 hour rounds! I really enjoyed following worlds this year, so thanks.

Something else I found interesting with worlds is that out of the Top 10 Mens Open finishers only Bradley Williams played above his rating on average over the full 5 rounds according to the admittedly unofficial ratings.

I would have thought that the top finishers would of had to play above their ratings to do so well. Just thought it was interesting.

I think you have to wait and see the official ratings. I believe Nate averaged at or above 1050 for rounds up to semis when I looked at it.

awesome worlds. congrats off to the winners and i gotta give it to discgolfplanet this time. they really worked out their previous kinks to get a good broadcast this time.