• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

If it's not bothering anyone on the card I don't think it's a courtesy violation

My friend was very annoyed and probably missed the semi's in the 2011 Am Worlds because he was so upset. (I know silly) 3 of his cardmates in the 6th round were all friends. Smoking was banned in that Worlds but they all decided it would be ok if they smoked. They didnt listen when he asked that they stop. So what do you do when it is only bothering 1 person on the card and the other 3 ignore that person that is annoyed...like if all three are swearing and kicking bags?

And a way, way, way easier angle. Tons of room to work with compared to the teepad angle.

Stop trolling my posts or you aren't going to get that sweet glidy understable PD back. My Valks are getting jealous.

Pretty funny that Holly, someone who competed in the USDGC and is sponsored, comes in here and says something and everyone just twiddles their thumbs and continues talking about courtesy violations.

Why? She competed in the performance division and she is just a person. Great girl and proud of what she has done for the sport but why would we stop a discussion for anyone? Additionally, just because he is not a well known player. Chuck K has done an incredible amount for the sport. Way more than Holly in her young career. I would make time to read his posts well before those of any current sponsored pros.

My friend was very annoyed and probably missed the semi's in the 2011 Am Worlds because he was so upset. (I know silly) 3 of his cardmates in the 6th round were all friends. Smoking was banned in that Worlds but they all decided it would be ok if they smoked. They didnt listen when he asked that they stop. So what do you do when it is only bothering 1 person on the card and the other 3 ignore that person that is annoyed...like if all three are swearing and kicking bags?

What if all 3 are taking "fun shots", or allowing mulligans?

Doesn't matter, call them out. Issue the violation, move on. Call the TD.

No one likes to be "that guy", but usually people have more respect for you if you call them out on something they know is blatantly wrong. And if they don't, then it's their problem, not yours.

Why? She competed in the performance division and she is just a person. Great girl and proud of what she has done for the sport but why would we stop a discussion for anyone? Additionally, just because he is not a well known player. Chuck K has done an incredible amount for the sport. Way more than Holly in her young career. I would make time to read his posts well before those of any current sponsored pros.

It was in no way a slight on Chuck. Honestly, it wasn't even a slight on the discussion. I have tons of respect for Chuck, he has been incredibly helpful in every interaction I've had with him.

I just think the nature of this forum is intriguing at times. I would think her posting would have sparked more interest than it did.

Pretty funny that Holly, someone who competed in the USDGC and is sponsored, comes in here and says something and everyone just twiddles their thumbs and continues talking about courtesy violations.
What did it add to the discussion?

or is your comment just part of a neckbeard white-knight flirting ritual?

/tips le fedora

According to the internets, both qualified on score. Juliana was in 2001, probably at the Toronto or Rumble Town, while Des qualified at the 2003 Mad City Open.

The Women's World Champ (and US champ) used to get invitations to play the USDGC every year. But that was also when it was one division, one champion. Also receiving invites back then were the MA1 Worlds winner, the USADGC winner, a state coordinator selected player from all 50 states, and a handful of sponsors exemptions.

With the advent of the Performance flight, all of those invitations (except MA1 World Champ...pretty sure that's how Laputka got in) were shifted to the Performance side. The only way to earn your way into the Open flight is to qualify at a qualifying tournament. The obvious purpose is that Open flight is for the best of the best who earned their way in against the best opposition possible (by playing Open or on the same courses as Open), and Performance flight is for "the rest".

/tips le fedora

He was just pointing something out. I don't think it deserves an accusation of flirting. Did you really add to the discussion? Why not just say nothing?

It was in no way a slight on Chuck. Honestly, it wasn't even a slight on the discussion. I have tons of respect for Chuck, he has been incredibly helpful in every interaction I've had with him.

I just think the nature of this forum is intriguing at times. I would think her posting would have sparked more interest than it did.

Perhaps it illustrates that her heat has cooled over the last 2 years. There was a time when a Holly post would have generated 100's of responses. Maybe no one cares anymore. We are all ADD, its hard to keep up the momentum she had a few years ago.

He was just pointing something out. I don't think it deserves an accusation of flirting. Did you really add to the discussion? Why not just say nothing?
Because its irritating seeing people fawn over a post that adds nothing to the discussion. Substance over source and all that jazz.

/tips le fedora

The Women's World Champ (and US champ) used to get invitations to play the USDGC every year.

Correct, and 3 of them (Juliana, Des, and apparently Elaine) also qualified based on score at qualifier tournaments. That's all I was saying.

I think Juliana is the only woman to ever cash. But now you have the "well Paige would have cashed with her score in the Open flight" asterisk.

/tips le fedora

I was making an observation. The point was about a sponsored pro making a comment, not about it being holly. It could have been Nate Sexton, Jared Roan, or Val Jenkins.

This is correct, thanks Russ.

Perhaps it illustrates that her heat has cooled over the last 2 years. There was a time when a Holly post would have generated 100's of responses. Maybe no one cares anymore. We are all ADD, its hard to keep up the momentum she had a few years ago.

I think I stepped into hot water without realizing it. I was making the point about a pro in general, not Holly specifically.

Which, for something like the USDGC, doesn't seem that crazy of a stretch.

Its basically going to take a call being missed that costs somebody a tournament before it changes... I'm not so sure if 'chairgate' was enough even though those strokes could have won McBeth the tournament.
it is a pretty crazy stretch in my opinion. there are 5 marshals each year at the USDGC's then 2 PDGA officials in Andrew Sweeton and Mike Downes. Each Marshall has anywhere from 3 to 5 holes they are responsible for. There were 34 groups in this years competition. you would need at least 20 Marshalls on hand and they would have to walk non stop all day to cover 34 groups. there are at least 20 groups on the course at any given time once the event is in full swing. It is hard enough getting 7 marshals who are certified current officials and have 4 days to offer to volunteer for free.

I am also dyeing to hear an elaboration on this "I'm not so sure if 'chairgate' was enough even though those strokes could have won McBeth the tournament"

I didn't think the comment (which was a bit crass) or Holly's response warranted further comment.

Correct, and 3 of them (Juliana, Des, and apparently Elaine) also qualified based on score at qualifier tournaments. That's all I was saying.

I think Juliana is the only woman to ever cash. But now you have the "well Paige would have cashed with her score in the Open flight" asterisk.
I didn't realize Paige would have cashed. what were here actual scores? all you see on the USDGC's site is Over/Under their projected score.

I credit your comment to your immaturity.

You strike me as the type that would meet an amputee and shout "Holy **** dude, what happened to your leg??"

No couth....

You would be right to credit my comment to immaturity.

I would not strike you with an amputees leg unless the amputee gave me permission.

Couth is for louthers.

what were here actual scores? all you see on the USDGC's site is Over/Under their projected score.

Enn5W9L.jpg

I was about to post after Holly's post but had to finish up the latest batch of TD reports for the ratings update.

Regarding the Performance Flight versus Open Flight, I think the perceptions reflect the somewhat warped values we have has a society. We tend to be more excited about the "best" overall rather than those who excel the highest above expectations. Paul and Will could be expected as potential winners based on their past performance/ratings, so what's the surprise in either of them winning?

On the other hand, no one really knew who would rise to the occasion and play way above expectations in the Performance Flight. In theory, that should be more exciting to watch or at least track. And yet, there seems to be a general disdain among many for the format which showcases those personally excelling. I get it, but it's sad to see how people react in general. In Dr. Phil mode, perhaps Performance Flight is more in our face hinting at our personal failings to excel since those players are more like us versus superstars like Lebron, Brady or McBeth that seem out of our league for comparison?

Last edited:

Latest posts