• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

I wonder what's happening with DGP.tv. They don't really cover much disc golf anymore. IIRC, didn't the PDGA front the money for their media truck and all? If they just walk away with it, what does that say to the dues paying members of the association?

Yes I said "Terrible" and yes I've seen the Disc Golf Planet coverage. I was a paying member from the beginning. Yes Crazy was well Crazy but the camera work was much better. They used more stable technology, they actually had a control room where a director would tell them when to switch cameras correctly and the footage was lightyears better. Terry makes due with two DSLR cameras and ****ty wireless, he does not have half the system DG Planet did. You can say the commentators were bad but the disc golf, the stuff I actually give a damn about was way ahead of the crap being put out by Smashboxx. The truth is I wouldn't have a problem with it if they said they didn't want to pay for a better service and went with a cheaper streaming option. I get it DG is not a money making machine. But don't sell it as the "Best Coverage" ever when it is a sub-standard product with broken promises and sub-par results.

I tbink your memory of the DGPtv broadcasts is a bit fuzzy.

You make it sound like that **** wasnt terrible too lol. IMO it might have been worse when it came to actual round coverage.

Just to pile on a little more, it also seems like a really bad business decision to not have more edited rounds available. Pretty much the only money being made off of these videos is the sponsorship/advertisements, obviously advertisement is more effective with more people watching, and people are more likely to watch a few days after the tournament than a few weeks. Also, compared to the cost of shooting the video, the cost to edit and post it seems pretty minimal.

I tbink your memory of the DGPtv broadcasts is a bit fuzzy.

You make it sound like that **** wasnt terrible too lol. IMO it might have been worse when it came to actual round coverage.

I remember quite well. It wasn't perfect, but we cant expect perfection without a major money influx. The only thing Smashboxx has going for it is Terry being a better commentator. But really all that is besides the point. The idea is to take a step forward from what we have had in the past. Spin18 was supposed to be the future and if this is any indication then that future is bleak indeed.

I wonder what's happening with DGP.tv. They don't really cover much disc golf anymore. IIRC, didn't the PDGA front the money for their media truck and all? If they just walk away with it, what does that say to the dues paying members of the association?

I think your pretty far off on that. I know dgptv was awarded a grant for worlds and usdgc last year iirc. PDGA financials are public record. You can see exactly how much they payed dgptv and everything else they do with member fees if you want instead of just spouting off and speculating

What other media company that provides live coverage of a sporting event promises and delivers edited/commentary versions of that live event for free viewing later?

Dynamic Discs at GBO, PDGA at Worlds, Discraft at Memorial, Vibram at Maple Hill Open.

Allow me to revise my comment here:

What other media company that provides live coverage of a sporting event (other than disc golf) promises and delivers edited/commentary versions of that live event for free viewing later?

Would you also be complaining that CBS hasn't put out an edited version of the Masters or the Super Bowl online for everyone to watch for free? The reason that some do the turn around edited video release is because they couldn't do it live to begin with.

What other media company that provides live coverage of a sporting event (other than disc golf) promises and delivers edited/commentary versions of that live event for free viewing later?

Would you also be complaining that CBS hasn't put out an edited version of the Masters or the Super Bowl online for everyone to watch for free? The reason that some do the turn around edited video release is because they couldn't do it live to begin with.

The point is, edited footage on youtube is a HUGE part of the disc golf scene right now. I can literally go to any tourney or league and start talking about a specific video where "mcbeth threw his destroyer blah blah blah...." and people will know what I am talking about. When I throw a nova, people instantly ask me how I like it and if they can try it BECAUSE THEY SAW PAUL THROW IT. I would go so far as to say that edited youtube coverage is the single most important contributor to the popularity of disc golf in the last 2-4 years.

The point is, edited footage on youtube is a HUGE part of the disc golf scene right now. I can literally go to any tourney or league and start talking about a specific video where "mcbeth threw his destroyer blah blah blah...." and people will know what I am talking about. When I throw a nova, people instantly ask me how I like it and if they can try it BECAUSE THEY SAW PAUL THROW IT. I would go so far as to say that edited youtube coverage is the single most important contributor to the popularity of disc golf in the last 2-4 years.

I don't know anyone who decided to start playing disc golf because they saw a tournament youtube video. Us DG nerds love it but we were already DG nerds.

Let me again point out that Royalhghnss is the originator of edited vids with commentary, ie Central Coast Disc Golf.

Try to keep up here: SpinTV/Spin18 has promised unprecedented coverage of all its events and specifically the USDGC. On their own web page, there is section for final round lead card edited vids. They failed to deliver it and apparently decided on the final day that Jomez should film only player reaction shots, not the actual round, again, failing to deliver the promised content.

The reason behind the turnaround vids is because the technology is not there to provide Watchable live coverage that doesn't freeze, cut out or go down, or stream like it was filmed in the 1980s. I watched part of the live footage, live, and it was painful and unwatchable - even in HD it's grainy and hard to see. IMO, the current technology just isn't there. The live coverage peaked at about 6,000 watching in real time. Check out the number views the edited rounds are getting.

Also, comparing SmashboxxTV or DGPtv to PGA or SuperBowl coverage is just stupid.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who decided to start playing disc golf because they saw a tournament youtube video. Us DG nerds love it but we were already DG nerds.

Heck, I've never once heard anyone mention a disc golf tournament video--and I move in lots of different segments of the disc golf community.

Only the super dorky tournament peeps do that. The players who hang out with the guys who can throw and want to be Mcbeth.

Its the most annoying player out on the DGC. Name dropping pros like they are best friends lol.

Heck, I've never once heard anyone mention a disc golf tournament video--and I move in lots of different segments of the disc golf community.

Well if David Sauls hasn't heard anyone mention it, then it must not happen! The oracle had spoken!

I hear the young kids mention them frequently. By kids I mean < 21.

Only the super dorky tournament peeps do that. The players who hang out with the guys who can throw and want to be Mcbeth.

Its the most annoying player out on the DGC. Name dropping pros like they are best friends lol.

If only we were all as cool as you...

The kids who talk about videos and pros can be inexperienced and annoying, I guess, but since you're a 'promoter of the game', I'm sure you coach 'em up and bestow your knowledge upon them to help them out, right?

I didnt say people "started playing" because of youtube videos. I'm saying a lot of new players (these days) get their first taste of what is possible with a disc from youtube videos. Because of ****ty attitudes like the one i've quoted here, for a new player a youtube video is a lot easier to find than a league or club. Until I found my first putting league I didnt know anybody in the disc golf community. Now most of my good friends are disc golfers. Before that the only time I saw someone throw advanced shots was on youtube.
Enthusiasm in disc golf seems to bother people who are a bit insecure.

Well if David Sauls hasn't heard anyone mention it, then it must not happen! The oracle had spoken!

I hear the young kids mention them frequently. By kids I mean < 21.

Oracle is capitalized when used as a title.

Lol at the name droppers. Im not talking about kids watching YT. They dont sit on every tee talking about how they throw this destroyer like mcbeth blah blah or love the Prodigy XYZ1234 bc cale throws them well around here etc.

These players never seem to be very good either. Im not one to get excited over famous people. Hearing people talk about videos ive seen already re: hardly famous DGers within this niche group is just well.... That'

Latest posts