• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

I would rather watch post-production videos personally. With only one or two cameras, live coverage of disc golf is pretty boring. Also, I highly doubt live coverage provides any additional exposure for the sport. I assume tournaments are only watched by people who are already fans of disc golf anyway.

One reason why live video shouldn't be a real high priority. Good to have, a nice benefit for disc golfers out there (PDGA members or not), makes it feel a little more prestigious for the players.....but not really furthering the PDGA's mission a whole lot.

I would rather watch post-production videos personally. With only one or two cameras, live coverage of disc golf is pretty boring. Also, I highly doubt live coverage provides any additional exposure for the sport. I assume tournaments are only watched by people who are already fans of disc golf anyway.

This!

And not only this, a non-disc golfer is much more likely to watch 30 - 45 min of edited high quality content w/ commentary than 4 hours of watching people walk.

This!

And not only this, a non-disc golfer is much more likely to watch 30 - 45 min of edited high quality content w/ commentary than 4 hours of watching people walk.

Right.

Well, there's a place for both....but if they're thinking about publicity and catching the eyes of non-disc-golfers, the post-produced videos would seem to have much better chances.

Live's benefit for devoted fans is the same as for fans of any spectator sport---to watch while the outcome is still uncertain. It shouldn't be dismissed.....I just doubt it's real high on the priority list.

What makes you thing they didn't "think this through"?

Live coverage is not making anyone money (I'd guess at best it's break-even for the broadcaster). Ad revenue off-sets costs for Smashboxx...I don't think the PDGA sees a dime of it. In fact, I'm pretty sure the PDGA is paying for Smashboxx to cover events, not getting paid for it. So live is costing the PDGA money, and whether they derive any benefits from the expenditure is open for debate.

Priority for hosting Worlds should first and foremost be course quality (followed closely by good staffing). I'd rather see Worlds contested on the highest quality courses the host area has to offer with no coverage than played on inferior courses that have superior cell signal.

I love live coverage, and am just as disappointed as anyone that this can't be covered, but it's putting the cart before the horse to say that live coverage needs to be a priority when awarding hosting rights to any event. Maybe when we reach a point where multiple outlets are vying to pay to cover Worlds (like we see with most televised sports), signal quality should take precedence.

I think the PDGAs media budget has been known to pay for such things. For me, that's a good use of my membership money, but not for everyone, as you can see here. I suspect the non live is more about signal, see upthread, than lack of planning. I'm pretty confident the PDGA knows about it and made a decision.

As long as the post round vids are actually done in a timely manner. It really sucks trying to dodge spoilers for several days. Also, even if I haven't gotten spoiled, the post-pro vids are decidedly less dramatic for me.
This!

Blah non-disc golfers. Are we really gonna base the coverage on what people, who don't even care about our game, "might" do. The post-pro vids will still be there for those people to watch...

It is pretty stupid, IMO, to not have either of the two biggest events of the year live streamed.

The fact that we are upset that an event isn't being shown live and rather will be available for viewing with a week of the event says a lot about how much our sport has grown.

I need to win the lottery tomorrow night. I would start two endowments(is endowments the correct term?). One for bench installation at any course that wants them( my chunky brothers out there know what I mean;)). The second would be for media...

Terry has said that there isnt great Cell Coverage so live wouldnt be able to happen. He talked about doing just live commentary and no video but he wasnt sure if he could even make that work.

First. I agree with whoever said that the main priority should be course quality. As the guy who produces all the live coverage, I want to see a great battle on great courses.

Second. Even the DGPT doesn't always take into account signal quality (See Waco).

Third. I too think that recorded coverage is not as exciting as live. There is something about watching it happen that is "lightning in a bottle" that can not be reproduced with post recorded stuff. Even if you avoid the spoilers, it isn't the same.

Fourth (tangent). Spoiler averse people... Ugggh. If the video doesn't come out the next day, I no longer worry about your precious spoilers. People were REALLY pissy at us for posting our TUESDAY NIGHT podcast that was titled, "Ricky Wysocki - Beaver State Fling Wrap-Up". Because we had the reigning world champ on the week before he defends, the guy who the week previous aced a hole to win (and did happen to win BSF). They assumed the title spoiled it, even though it wasn't explicitly stated he won. It isn't our job to find out when everyone puts out their video footage. Spoiler warning - We will have a lot of videos at SmashBoxx this week. I kinda want to post fake & true spoilers all week long everywhere I can.

Fifth (final). SmashBoxx isn't going to be live that we know of. There is one or 2 more things that we are going to try while we are there to possibly help the signal, but we are not confident. But we will do nightly wrap up shows and podcasts. Possibly some FB live stuff and other social media.

mcBeast wins... jk
just a reminder to use this [^spoiler] if you are posting about the results this week, please

Last edited:
yeah that would work better... also I thought it happened over the weekend :eek:

First. I agree with whoever said that the main priority should be course quality. As the guy who produces all the live coverage, I want to see a great battle on great courses.

Second. Even the DGPT doesn't always take into account signal quality (See Waco).

Third. I too think that recorded coverage is not as exciting as live. There is something about watching it happen that is "lightning in a bottle" that can not be reproduced with post recorded stuff. Even if you avoid the spoilers, it isn't the same.

Fourth (tangent). Spoiler averse people... Ugggh. If the video doesn't come out the next day, I no longer worry about your precious spoilers. People were REALLY pissy at us for posting our TUESDAY NIGHT podcast that was titled, "Ricky Wysocki - Beaver State Fling Wrap-Up". Because we had the reigning world champ on the week before he defends, the guy who the week previous aced a hole to win (and did happen to win BSF). They assumed the title spoiled it, even though it wasn't explicitly stated he won. It isn't our job to find out when everyone puts out their video footage. Spoiler warning - We will have a lot of videos at SmashBoxx this week. I kinda want to post fake & true spoilers all week long everywhere I can.

Fifth (final). SmashBoxx isn't going to be live that we know of. There is one or 2 more things that we are going to try while we are there to possibly help the signal, but we are not confident. But we will do nightly wrap up shows and podcasts. Possibly some FB live stuff and other social media.

Someone posted above about increasing wifi, I don't think solves it, you need data signal right? There are numerous DIY inexpensive antennas that can be made to increase cell signal. They might not solve the problem, but it seems like a good enough experiment to try. You might be able to make 18, one for each hole. And yes, they're that cheap.

Last edited:
The fact that we are upset that an event isn't being shown live and rather will be available for viewing with a week of the event says a lot about how much our sport has grown.

Which reminds me, when can we expect to see videos of 2011 Pro Worlds in Santa Cruz?

First World Problems folks.

Anyone remember dots?

Until the live quality matches that of the post produced, next day stuff, I won't bother watching. Glad there is no live coverage.

People demand live coverage -- for free or at most a minimal fee! -- and if you can't give that to them then you better not talk about something that has already happened. Talking about disc golf is fun. Acting like it hasn't happened when it already has and not talking about it is the opposite of fun.

I kind of love the idea of posting random spoilers.

On another note, I've always read/heard that when it comes to hosting worlds there aren't a lot of bids annually that can supply quality courses + quality staff, so it seems unreasonable to add "strong signal" as a third requirement. Lots of people working hard and most of them for nothing (or at a personal/club financial loss), so it is what it is.

Until the live quality matches that of the post produced, next day stuff, I won't bother watching. Glad there is no live coverage.

Well, I am going to go out on a short limb and say, "You Sir... are an sad, ignorant dick-bag." The fact that you are "glad" there is no live coverage of an event that thousands of people want to watch live shows that you have almost zero regard for other people. Frankly, I feel sorry for you. I hope that you get the love and adoration that you are currently lacking in your life that makes you such a miserable person. If you ever need me to, I will hug you, no questions asked.

And guess what, live will NEVER reach the quality of next-day. It may get close in terms of quality of resolution of the video, but the cost for things like hi-def slowmo, motion graphics, or shot tracker is beyond what will be available to us for at least probably 10 years. And even when we get to the level that they are at NOW, they will be upgraded to 4K or whatever is beyond that.

Pro Worlds is a money-losing venture. You cater to a bunch of people who have no interest in buying anything you have. Most have no interest in the local scene because they are focused on playing during the day, and resting at night. If you are lucky, you can get the 500-1000 spectators throughout the week to buy some goods.

In the future I know that the PDGA will take live-streaming into account. But it would be a "scale tipper" in that if all other things are equal. Thankfully year after year, the signal is spreading and becoming more unlikely that we see this. Next year we already know that Green Mountain has fantastic cell coverage.

I'm curious. What exactly is a dick-bag? Is it an old style jock strap like I wore in high school? Is it Richard with a skin condition? Is it a bag that has Fredrick's of Hollywood written on it? Just curious.

I'm curious. What exactly is a dick-bag? Is it an old style jock strap like I wore in high school? Is it Richard with a skin condition? Is it a bag that has Fredrick's of Hollywood written on it? Just curious.

I always just assumed it is a bag full of dicks.

Thanks to all covergae - live, post production, etc.

Why do ppl complain so much about something that is free to watch? dont like live? dont watch it. dont like post produced? dont watch it. pretty simple.

I was never a big fan of live in the beggining. like others have stated normally when the live is going that is prime time disc golf time for myself as well so i am prolly out playing. however one sunday at work i got stuck working the afternoon and it was the last day of jonesboro. OMG the intensity of watching live was awesome. I never realized the excitement of not knowing what was going to happen next. Ricky and Simon battled that out that day and I was on the edge of my seat watching. So i definitely think we need live in the sport.

But again being able to watch some much disc golf for free is awesome so thanks again!

Latest posts