• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Memorial Championship

I agree, seems like a reach to chastise them for this. The thing that sticks out to me though, is that Koling's comments about courses are always related to how unlucky he got.

Also, you can pretty much tell when Jerm is about to hit a putt, because he will overstate how difficult his lie for his putt is.

Furthermore the disc golf courses are not conspiring against Big Jerm (as much as I wouldn't mind if they did). On hole 17 he goes on and on about how skippy this hole is supposed to be, even though throughout the round he's commented on how grabby the course was playing. I knew before he even threw that he wasn't going to have a good shot based on his whiney comments about how the hole wasn't getting the skips it should. He threw it waaaay too wide and he actually did get a bit of skip, as Sexton pointed out, but he took no fault for throwing it about 50 foot to wide.

I don't necessarily agree with you here, either.
Honestly, I think you guys are hearing what you want to hear, for whatever reason.

I'm not saying Koling never has "whiney" moments, but he and Sexton are equally self-deprecating and point out where they have made poor shots or decisions.

SmashCutt

So this year Steve Dodge asked that I NOT do SmashCutts for the general public. BUT... I am going to be doing them for our Patreon supporters at any level. (patreon.com/smashboxxtv). And they should usually be up about 2 hours after a round. This one was up about 9:30 last night or so.

I am going to post this unlisted one to give everyone a feeling of how I plan on doing them this year.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=aHDLBY4IgVU

Straight DG. No commentary. Pure as the driven snow. All 18 holes right away.
Hope you enjoy.

I think you're reading too much into it. They also referred to another one as an X-in when it pulled in a weak side putt. Every basket has unique characteristics and to expect them to not mention those things seems a little silly.

I can't remember specific examples, but I feel on numerous occasions they talk about/mention when other baskets chain-through or pole-out or something. I think it just sounds clever to X-out so that's why they said it, just like how you noticed an X-in...I just don't remember that part. Mach X's are my favourite anyways.

I play a lot but nothing compared to these guys, and I know that Chain(out)stars and baskets of that style can't handle hard putts from 10'. Ricky is the best putter out there and he still rebounds out occasionally from in close. Nikko does it all the time. Mach X's have firmer chains and while they'll absorb that, a low/mid weak side hit like Austin's will push out often, but in the middle or strong side it'll get absorbed no problem. If I know that they know that. Maybe it's a high level pro thing where it's easier to blame external factors than your skills, to keep your confidence/mental game.

I don't like all the sponsor/brand conspiracy theory, I don't think there's anything there at all. Koling tours with Austin, different sponsors, and mentions what discs Austin is throwing pretty often.

Last edited:
So this year Steve Dodge asked that I NOT do SmashCutts for the general public. BUT... I am going to be doing them for our Patreon supporters at any level. (patreon.com/smashboxxtv). And they should usually be up about 2 hours after a round. This one was up about 9:30 last night or so.

I am going to post this unlisted one to give everyone a feeling of how I plan on doing them this year.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=aHDLBY4IgVU

Straight DG. No commentary. Pure as the driven snow. All 18 holes right away.
Hope you enjoy.

Awesome, dont see why someone wouldn't want them posted

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Probably because I don't want to put ads in them. I thought about doing the Picture in picture thing as early as last year when I saw it at the Ryder Cup and on WWE Smackdown, but decided it was too much a PITA if I want to get the videos out ASAP. I was finally able to find a way to do it in the broadcast this year with some fun triggering stuff.

I think you're reading too much into it. They also referred to another one as an X-in when it pulled in a weak side putt. Every basket has unique characteristics and to expect them to not mention those things seems a little silly.

So....they're calling X's flukey? Yes, that is just pointing out a "unique" characteristic. Not disparaging at all. (for the record, I think X's have the truest target.)

Jerm has done this a few times on other commentaries, but never says anything about spit outs on Discatchers. Just something along the lines of "hate to see it, but it happens."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Probably because I don't want to put ads in them. I thought about doing the Picture in picture thing as early as last year when I saw it at the Ryder Cup and on WWE Smackdown, but decided it was too much a PITA if I want to get the videos out ASAP. I was finally able to find a way to do it in the broadcast this year with some fun triggering stuff.

Hmm, the sponsors get what they paid for, which is ads to be aired during the live broadcast. Therefore they are getting what they paid for. If they want exposure during smashcutts seems like a little more money is needed. Kinda like when I watch a show called ink master. If I watch it live, i have to watch the 4 or 5 commercials during breaks. but if I go to On-Demand after the episode has aired, There is maybe 2 or 3 commercials the whole show. So all because you pay for sponsorship for live, doesnt mean it automatically includes you into post live distrubition.

but thats just me haha. i just like having coverage before the next round starts.

I can't remember specific examples, but I feel on numerous occasions they talk about/mention when other baskets chain-through or pole-out or something. I think it just sounds clever to X-out so that's why they said it, just like how you noticed an X-in...I just don't remember that part. Mach X's are my favourite anyways.

I play a lot but nothing compared to these guys, and I know that Chain(out)stars and baskets of that style can't handle hard putts from 10'. Ricky is the best putter out there and he still rebounds out occasionally from in close. Nikko does it all the time. Mach X's have firmer chains and while they'll absorb that, a low/mid weak side hit like Austin's will push out often, but in the middle or strong side it'll get absorbed no problem. If I know that they know that. Maybe it's a high level pro thing where it's easier to blame external factors than your skills, to keep your confidence/mental game.

I don't like all the sponsor/brand conspiracy theory, I don't think there's anything there at all. Koling tours with Austin, different sponsors, and mentions what discs Austin is throwing pretty often.

Yeah I agree. I'm pretty sure Koling was just adding some color commentary. Apparently people can't make jokes or represent their brands lol. Its pretty well known that the Mach-X rewards good putts and punishes bad ones and that is what he was playing off of...

I agree, seems like a reach to chastise them for this. The thing that sticks out to me though, is that Koling's comments about courses are always related to how unlucky he got.

Also, you can pretty much tell when Jerm is about to hit a putt, because he will overstate how difficult his lie for his putt is.

Sometimes it sounds like that is what he is trying to do but Ive also heard him set up his next shot by having you think he is about to nail a long putt just to get denied. I can't remember what tournament it was but he goes on about how his amazing drive just opened the door for a long eagle putt on a par 4, then as soon as he putts he goes on to say "and that door has quickly shut" because it wasn't even close. lol

I think I could listen to him and Sexton commentate on any sport. They have good chemistry together and the witty banter always makes me laugh.

I don't necessarily agree with you here, either.
Honestly, I think you guys are hearing what you want to hear, for whatever reason.

I'm not saying Koling never has "whiney" moments, but he and Sexton are equally self-deprecating and point out where they have made poor shots or decisions.

Sometimes it sounds like that is what he is trying to do but Ive also heard him set up his next shot by having you think he is about to nail a long putt just to get denied. I can't remember what tournament it was but he goes on about how his amazing drive just opened the door for a long eagle putt on a par 4, then as soon as he putts he goes on to say "and that door has quickly shut" because it wasn't even close. lol

I think I could listen to him and Sexton commentate on any sport. They have good chemistry together and the witty banter always makes me laugh.

I can't imagine it would be an easy task to commentate your own round and I will admit my previous interactions w/him probably subliminally affect my judgement.

Its not too bad to make a cut of your own with your finger on the ff button and just hit it a number of times between shots/holes. Ive watched the first two rounds like this so far.

Oh yeah I get that they're just trying to be empathetic and I am fine with that. But when you call it an "X-out" it sounds to me like they are taking a dig at Discraft.

My impression is that he WAS taking a dog, but that he meant it humorously and as a play on words more than anything else...

What we have, even if not perfect, is far better than having some sort of referee. (And, it's bound to get better now that the bright light of on-line video is shining down.)

I think if we were to abandon self- and group- enforcement the game would change for the uglier. It would no longer be the player's job to follow the rules, it would be the marshal's job to catch players breaking the rules. There would be many times as many infractions. When faced with a bad lie the smart thing to do would be to throw from a good lie when the marshal wasn't looking.

The self-policing follows the tradition of golf ball golf, where the honor system is in effect and the other player(s) on the card act as 'representing the field'. I'm generally okay with that, but I'd like to see some sort of marshal or referee/arbiter on each hole or with groups who could second a call (like with the Nikko example) when others don't see it for whatever reason.

As another example, I have always wondered how many of Feldberg's foot faults on his step-putts would be called by other players if they felt they would have an official there to back them up...

Latest posts