• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 United States Women's Disc Golf Championships May 21-23

I normally like watching the FPO but this is so GD boring. Oh and this course is putting me to sleep. Nothing about this is entertaining

It would have been much more entertaining to see two rounds at the first course they played, I think the scores might have been tighter. Although PP's putting really stood out this weekend. An absolute clinical performance from the green.

great detective work

hoping for a future ama

looks like its been months since d-wayne logged in last tho so i aint goin to hold my breathe

Lol...

As soon as i heard him say his name, i knew i had seen that on here somewhere.

I've got a weird memory for things like that. I can't remember to tell my mom that her brother called yesterday but if it's the name of a random poster i saw a year ago... I'm your man.;)

Looks like PAR was rated 955 for R1. . . 929 R2 and 952 R3.
Looks like a good par rating for the FPO field. . not THAT many FPO players rated over 950 so you can´t really call the courses EASY, only ten women played under par in the tournament.

Looks like PAR was rated 955 for R1. . . 929 R2 and 952 R3.
Looks like a good par rating for the FPO field. . not THAT many FPO players rated over 950 so you can´t really call the courses EASY, only ten women played under par in the tournament.

Just curious, where do you see the round ratings before they become official? It looks the DDO is the most recent tournament on players' rating history on the PDGA website.

Just curious, where do you see the round ratings before they become official? It looks the DDO is the most recent tournament on players' rating history on the PDGA website.

I just took the PDGA Unofficial Results from the PDGA site..sure it´s not official yet but i dont think they will change THAT much

Pretty good payouts this year.

Pierce's 1st place ($4400) is her 4th highest ever prize payout behind 2020 DGPT Champs (2nd place), 2019 Pro Worlds (1st), 2017 Pro Worlds (1st).
King's 2nd place ($2750) is her 4th highest ever prize payout behind 2020 DGPT Champs, 2021 TX States, 2021 DDO (all 1st place finishes).
Ella Hansen's 3rd place ($2100) almost precisely doubles her career earnings.
Gannon's 4th place ($1750) is her 2nd highest ever prize payout behind 2020 DGPT Champs (5th).

It was probably mentioned on here somewhere, but does anyone know why Heather Young did not play?

It was probably mentioned on here somewhere, but does anyone know why Heather Young did not play?

She didn't play OTB either and played a WGE event in Knoxville on the 8th, so I assume that is just at home taking a break from tour until whenever. Looks like her next event on tour that she's signed up for is Worlds, then she's hitting all the major events from then out.

From the perspective of only watching the CCDG post-production and knowing nothing about the logistics of putting a tournament together like this...

...this tournament was not good for either the PDGA or the FPO (sans Paige). After watching the coverage, I agree with all of her pre-tournament complaints. They should have picked one course and stuck with it...but I don't know which one, because they all felt like the same sort of blah... Just a bunch of 250-350 Par 3s with maybe four total Par 4s and no Par 5s. None of these three courses were worthy of a "major" tournament, and they de-valued it even more by not giving the women the time and space to be able to practice them all.

Beyond the courses though, watching the coverage was tough. I was really surprised by the lack of consistency in the circle. Paige dominated this tournament because she can throw far more accurately than anyone in FPO (Cat and Hailey are the only two who can consistently challenge her there it seems) but also because she didn't miss a single C1 putt. I'd be curious to see how many strokes she gained on the field in that area alone (someone who knows where to find the stats, help me lol), because everyone else on the feature cards seemed to struggle with putting besides her.

Lastly, congrats to Paige. She put on an absolute clinic from beginning to end, and no one in the FPO field can beat her when she's at her best.

From the perspective of only watching the CCDG post-production and knowing nothing about the logistics of putting a tournament together like this...

...this tournament was not good for either the PDGA or the FPO (sans Paige). After watching the coverage, I agree with all of her pre-tournament complaints. They should have picked one course and stuck with it...but I don't know which one, because they all felt like the same sort of blah... Just a bunch of 250-350 Par 3s with maybe four total Par 4s and no Par 5s. None of these three courses were worthy of a "major" tournament, and they de-valued it even more by not giving the women the time and space to be able to practice them all.

Beyond the courses though, watching the coverage was tough. I was really surprised by the lack of consistency in the circle. Paige dominated this tournament because she can throw far more accurately than anyone in FPO (Cat and Hailey are the only two who can consistently challenge her there it seems) but also because she didn't miss a single C1 putt. I'd be curious to see how many strokes she gained on the field in that area alone (someone who knows where to find the stats, help me lol), because everyone else on the feature cards seemed to struggle with putting besides her.

Lastly, congrats to Paige. She put on an absolute clinic from beginning to end, and no one in the FPO field can beat her when she's at her best.

Which parts of her "pre tournament complaints" did you agree with? Why did you agree? What sort of courses do you think are worthy of a FPO major? In what way did these more technical course devalue this major? You think a single course played multiple times is a better test of a golfers skill set? You think with practice time, Paige's advantage would have been slimmer?

I am just curious to hear a bit more. I did not really get much of your post.

Which parts of her "pre tournament complaints" did you agree with? Why did you agree? What sort of courses do you think are worthy of a FPO major? In what way did these more technical course devalue this major? You think a single course played multiple times is a better test of a golfers skill set? You think with practice time, Paige's advantage would have been slimmer?

I'm just a noob-idiot on this stuff, but these courses didn't strike me as particularly technical? The fairways were mostly gargantuan. There were a few holes where OB was in play, but not that many. I think I remember a fair number of holes where PP completely whiffed on shots, I mean fairly large shanks, and came away with fairly pedestrian pars. Heck, one hole she early release shanked twice in a row and only had to make an edge of circle putt for par.

That's not by any means saying Paige played poorly, that's not my point. Just that being out of place on your tee shot was usually quite recoverable.

The courses did have some elevation to them, but aside from that, the gaps you needed to hit seemed pretty large. Compared to the way OTB looked, it seemed like it played similarly (just much shorter).

Compare these courses to, say, Dogwood. They seemed less technical by multiple notches to my (again, noob-idiot) eye.

Looking back, I wasn't clear - thanks for challenging me! (I mean that seriously BTW, not as a joke). I'd have to watch the two interviews (both on the podcast and at the tournament) for the full list. I'll see what I can remember off the top of my head (shouldn't have said "all" - mistake #1 for me) and try to address your questions.

I know one of her specific complaints was playing three different courses with one dedicated day of practice doesn't allow them to showcase their full skill, since they have to either focus on one course fully or split their time amongst the three. She also mentioned something along the lines of "you never see that in a men's tournament." I agree with her that if you want the players to play their absolute best, minimizing the number of things they have to prepare for (making their job easier) is the way to go; in this specific example, fewer courses and more dedicated (courses closed to the public) practice time would have possibly contributed to better play and a closer tournament. On the flipside, to answer another one of your points, I don't think a single course played multiple times is a better test of a disc golfer's skill set, so this major opting for multiple courses allowed a better chance for the best player to win, which happened. I do think with more practice time and/or fewer courses, she would have won by a slimmer margin.

I might be spoiled by where I grew up and what courses I prefer watching disc golf coverage on, but I always compare courses to Idlewild. I know every course isn't Idlewild, but to me that course has a little bit of everything - distance, technicality, elevation, water, thick woods, high grass, etc.. I know technical courses don't translate well on camera, and I'm not familiar at all with the courses that were played this weekend, but when I watched the videos they didn't look too technical (the last video is freshest in my mind right now, that had a lot of open space). But my gripe with these courses was the nearly-complete lack of Par 4/5 holes. There's a different mentality off the tee when you know you don't have to reach the pin with the first shot. Again, it may have again led to an advantage for Paige, considering she can throw 400' when the rest of the field maxes out around 350'.

I think I at least answered all your points? I appreciate my first lesson in "don't throw vague thoughts into the internet and expect nothing to happen," I'll make sure to do better next time. :thmbup: