• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] A stay fresh Sword?

Inbounds is just plain wrong about the Giant. My VIP giant flips a little bit on a big rip, while my TP Giant stays dead straight. WAY more fade than a sword, but it is an absolutely amazing disc. Into a 20-25mph headwind today my TP Giant flipped a little bit, tracked right ten feet, and then crashed back left and landed about 360-380' out.

The Giant is not a more stable Sword, but it is an absolutely awesome disc.

In Innova flight numbers I'd say
TP Giant: 13 4 0 4
VIP Giant: 13 4 -.5 4

My result with the Giant has been opposite from your's unfortunately. Not to add to the confusion (or be a prick) but I have a few Tp Giants; 1-169, 2-175 and 2-175 VIP Giants. The VIP have been more OS in every instance versus my Tp's. The VIPs handle the wind and arm speed/power more and the Tp will roll over and "S" more easily. I would compare the Giant to the DC/DGA Force and Hurricane. VIP is to Force as Tp is to Hurricane.

Last edited:
I have had many swords with a mix in stability between tp and vip. To answer the op you might want to try a Trespass.

I don't think so, VIP sword is more overstable then TP.

I have heard the opposite from other people, and I only have one of each so I won't claim this as a universal law. However, in my case it is definitely true. My TP has a slightly higher plh than my VIP.

BrotherDave (as usual) is right. All other things equal, VIP (e.g. Opto, Champion, Z, etc.) will be more overstable than TP. The key thing here is the all other things being equal. If your TP has a higher PLH, that will have an additional impact on the stability that will compensate for the fact that your disc is TP and may result in a more overstable disc than your VIP. Also, are both discs the same weight and the same state of wear?

Looking like my leading candidates are: new VIP Sword with high PLH, C-D1, Boatman, and Giant (this one looks like it's way more OS than I want if Inbounds is to be trusted).

I still say Boatman isn't close to a sword. Its a lot more HSS and doesn't have the glide of a "longer teebird". I'd call it more of a slightly 'longer Xcal' and it aint ever gonna beat into a stable new sword IMO. I used them for an OS compliment to my Orcs for controlled distances around 350' where my Orcs are 10% longer. At 350' power with a vip sword, I'd think you could hit 300' given enough flex.

BrotherDave (as usual) is right. All other things equal, VIP (e.g. Opto, Champion, Z, etc.) will be more overstable than TP. The key thing here is the all other things being equal. If your TP has a higher PLH, that will have an additional impact on the stability that will compensate for the fact that your disc is TP and may result in a more overstable disc than your VIP. Also, are both discs the same weight and the same state of wear?

Yes, I got both of them at the same time. They are both 168, and relatively new. My TP is actually a little more used than my VIP.

I completely agree though. I've found almost every other Westside or Latitude disc to be more stable in VIP vs. TP. I think in this case it is only that the TP has a slightly higher plh. Anyway, sorry for the derail!

I am in a similar situation as the OP. Wondering if a Star Destroyer would fit the bill? I bought a pair of domey Avery Destroyers recently with new dual color stamps and they are so beefy not sure if they will ever beat in to fly like a new sword. Only thrown them like 20 times each and still beefcakes though.

My max weight VIP Swords fly awesome new but get enough HSS turn that I don't trust them as much after a few months of heavy use. Would like to find something as well that can beat in and end up like that new sword flight. Throwing the Swords 400-450.

Last edited:
I've thrown ~50 VIP Swords, and the 167(ish) day glow green, are consistently the most stable. I've now had one in the bag for 6months and it's only slightly less stable then when I originally bagged it.

Interesting! The 167s are the most overstable when new even compared to max weight ones?

I've always felt like the VIP Giants are more OS than the TP but I know I have a pretty beefed out VIP Giant. Without looking at inbounds I can tell you it's off if it says a Riot has a lot of lateral movement. I would say the Riot is just a tick less OS than a VIP Giant in Opto plastic. They handle a headwind quite nicely and I don't notice a big slant on the rim. Not like a Halo at least. I hate the feel of the Halo.

Seasoned champ destroyer I would think would fit your description.

Interesting! The 167s are the most overstable when new even compared to max weight ones?

I can tell you that my 165 Chartreuse VIP was pretty stout when it was new, definitely beefier than the red 169 VIP super cool forum goer Um... gave me (but that one wasn't brand new). Haven't contrasted their PLHs either. Ideally I think I'd just hunt a high PLH new Sword for this but I'm pretty limited to buying these online so... might have to settle for Destroyer or something.

I still say Boatman isn't close to a sword. Its a lot more HSS and doesn't have the glide of a "longer teebird". I'd call it more of a slightly 'longer Xcal' and it aint ever gonna beat into a stable new sword IMO. I used them for an OS compliment to my Orcs for controlled distances around 350' where my Orcs are 10% longer. At 350' power with a vip sword, I'd think you could hit 300' given enough flex.

Totally agree with this

I find that TP starts slightly more OS then VIP, then after it wears a bit it mellows. Vip stays pretty true until you beat the ever loving crap out of it… then it develops a slight turn. This is a generalization across the trilogy plastic that I have noticed, and like.

I have a purple GL Riot that is getting to be fliptastic greatness, and an yellow opto one I have had for twice as long that is the same as the day I got it. Out of the box the purple one was slightly beefier, but after a month or so it straightened out.

I have found this pattern pretty true for all of my trilogy discs that I throw multiples of (Stag, XXX, Suspect, Truth, Mace, Escape, other Riots).

If I were in your shoes I would get a VIP Sword closer to max weight and try to find a sparkle one, then buy at least 3 in the same color. As they beat in trade them out.

If you want a disc to stay fresh, you have to try it in the tupperware plastic.

I think BD might be onto something with just taking the time to find a high plh version or two.

Funny that my lightest pink 171 vip started off the most overstable. The most understable one I
have owned is actually a 175 yellow sparkle. The 2 TPs I had were both more understable than that yellow vip.

Sounds like there is a little stability variance out there that is typical of many of the wider rimmed drivers. Swords are awesome discs and I just probably need to chill on the torque monkey mode.

Yes, in my experience. In my original post I said "most stable" when I should've said "most overstable", but I think we're on the same page :hfive:

I've thrown ~50 VIP Swords, and the 167(ish) day glow green, are consistently the most stable. I've now had one in the bag for 6months and it's only slightly less stable then when I originally bagged it.

Not to derail the thread or anything but what swords are consistently the most understable? I have a nice stable one, would like a pretty understable one to compliment it.

I am assuming TP just curious if certain colors or weights end up with lower PLH. I normally throw mid 160g's.

Latest posts