• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

My memory, and that of others, was that it was the former.

The problem is, it may be unprovable. It may even be wrong.

People have screenshotted a bunch of incriminating statements, for posterity and to use if the authors delete them, which is usually the case. But it's doubtful anyone saved webpages, especially for things that people didn't imagine ever being an issue. Like the format of the rounds.

yeah, I tried using the wayback machine and it only had two archives, Nov '15 and yesterday. didn't have anything discussing who would be featured.

Take this as step further, how does showing a bunch of 900 rated players on ESPN3 grow anything?

I can go to my local park and see that all day. Hell i could just film myself and watch that nonsense.

The argument isn't that they should have shown the Ams, from an entertainment or marketing perspective.

It is that the Ams were lured there by promises of being shown, paying large entry fees and, in most cases, traveling halfway across the country.

Now, I don't know if that's true. But some of the Ams certainly seem to think it is.

That, and it fits a pattern---whether they actually made the promise, or merely misled the Ams with vague wording.

And, yes, I won't dispute that those Ams swallowed a bit of koolaid there.

Salient has no issue with lying, but they use it as a last resort. Rather, they are experts at providing just enough information to trick people but not enough to be legally held liable.

There will never be a "smoking gun" because Salient knew what they were doing the whole time.

You give them far too much credit.

Numerous times they have made statements that would meet the burden of proof required by a small claims court; that what you are claiming is more believable than what they are claiming.

All they are doing is banking on the fact that no one in the disc golf community will invest time and money to sue them over a few hundred dollars. Also, on jurisdictional grounds, a successful outcome could only be enforced by a South Carolina court since that is the only state they directly vend from.

Someone who played the event on the AM side needs to clarify if they announced the changes or not at the player's meeting.

Were we fair last night on the podcast to them? Or was it overly harsh?
I thought that you were more than fair. The lack of review of the leaderboard before the beginning of the play or after each hole was the most egregious error in their telecast. I watched three holes and had zero clue as to who was leading, where they were throwing and it they had made good shots. What is the point of showing a tournament if you don't know the scores or who is winning? And then showing off a drone but not having video or graphics representing the holes, really weak.

Yeah, I forgot about the leaderboard issue while we were talking about it last night. But you are right, it needed to be up there more frequently.

there is so much gold buried in this thread

attachment.php

I'm gonna agree with the sentiment that the Ams on ESPN is silly. Until an Am comes on here and says he specifically travelled to this event to be on ESPN, it isn't worth much. Even more, as has been pointed out, I can put my parrot playing dead on ESPN3 if I want to cough up the money. It doesn't mean much. BTB - is there an eyeball count?

On the otherhand, the vitriol this guys dump out, and their mistreatment of the community (bad for business) online, and their lack of regard for the PDGA are all legitimate issues.

There have been a few Amateurs on Facebook whk have specifically stated they came to the event just at a shot at being on ESPN. Two of them have also stated they are members of the Salient Squad (well...were, since they spoke out Im sure they are not blocked and banned) but honestly their interpertation doesn't matter in the long run. They are obviously the minority as at least twice as many ams have posted on Facebook that they believed the exact opposite

Social media is good in this instance because it's getting the word out on Salient's many scams,but also bad because it allows people to quickly post emotion-driven statements that Salient easily turns around either by posting their stance or simply dismissing the complaintants as fools or trolls.

Nobody really addressed the issue of live scoring. As there was never any live or even updated scoring until the tee times came out on a linked pdf file. Ten years ago this would have been cool. But now, at a "major" event you couldn't do this? Maybe cutting out the PDGA and its easy to use live scoring system might have been a bad decision, in the long run.

There have been a few Amateurs on Facebook whk have specifically stated they came to the event just at a shot at being on ESPN. Two of them have also stated they are members of the Salient Squad (well...were, since they spoke out Im sure they are not blocked and banned) but honestly their interpertation doesn't matter in the long run. They are obviously the minority as at least twice as many ams have posted on Facebook that they believed the exact opposite

Social media is good in this instance because it's getting the word out on Salient's many scams,but also bad because it allows people to quickly post emotion-driven statements that Salient easily turns around either by posting their stance or simply dismissing the complaintants as fools or trolls.

Thanks Andy.

Nobody really addressed the issue of live scoring. As there was never any live or even updated scoring until the tee times came out on a linked pdf file. Ten years ago this would have been cool. But now, at a "major" event you couldn't do this? Maybe cutting out the PDGA and its easy to use live scoring system might have been a bad decision, in the long run.

The Smashboxx guys did, and their take was really good. They pretty much hit everything that needed to be hit, by my measure, and they did their best to keep it to the broadcast.

One of the things the Smashboxx guys commented on was the learning curve. They admit to having to go through it too.

I have a staff, and I learned a long time ago that my staff knows everything I don't know. That brings me to one of my business mantras, "trust your people and empower them to do their jobs." This whole thing smacks of not trusting other people, their thoughts, and their ideas. It's a we know better, and we can do it while you can't kind of attitude. There are roads to disaster everywhere you might look, paved with that intention.

Were we fair last night on the podcast to them? Or was it overly harsh?

I thought you were skeptical, but fair. Terry was a little too defensive when be belabored the wired vs wireless issue, but that didn't impact fairness per se.

I do wish you had explored the implications of Brian Graham's on site presence.