• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

anyone use the Phenix Core Bag?

colodiscgolfer

Eagle Member
Sometime in the near future I will need to replace my DG bag, as it is 14 years old and beginning to come apart at some of the seams, especially around the putter pocket. I've started looking at some of the new bags on the market, and want something that carries roughly 20 discs, and that will last a VERY long time. I really like that you can get the optional 'truck-bed' lining on the bottom, and that some thought has gone into how the bag is actually carried (with the angled strap connection points, center pocket, and such...). I know it is a bit pricier than some of the other bags on the market, and I don't know anyone that owns one, so it's difficult for me to make a good decision about this bag. I just need to figure out which bag I will be 'oh-so-subtly' hinting at my wife to get me for our anniversary.

I have talked to Kyle from Phenix about this bag. This is the bag that I would buy if I had the money. He tells me that Climo carries the bag so you know it has to be good. I would stand behind anything that Phenix has made. I have a lot of respect for their products. They are great to work with. I have some Quads from them that are superior. Being that is is a Colorado company gives you one more reason to support them.

WOOOO!! 700!

I took a good look at this bag the other day down at their store in Arvada, and was extremely impressed with the quality just about every aspect of this bag. The only things I would think could be better would be if it had a zip top for travel, and a little more open storage space (possibly bigger side pockets) for those days when you need to bring extra beer along. The back padding, and the way it sits on your body was incredible... so much better than my current bag (manufacturer unknown). Unless something else really incredible comes along in the next month or so, this is going to be the bag I'm going with. I will be sure to post a review of this bag after I get it.

Im more or less curious to see how bigt hat middle pocket is. I have no problem shelling out some money for a bada$$ bag but for the price it better be better than my gf

Mine is in Maize and Blue! I love it. The truck lining makes the bottom look wrinkled but there are no signs of wear. Lots of storage! It comes with the Phenix straps, so being $40 more you don't have to buy the straps. I made a mistake by not putting the rain fly on in a hail/rainstorm and my cell phone in the cell phone pocket got damaged. That was my fault and not the bags. I have carried it on airlines in that dinky (can't remember the letters) XXX-700 and it fit in the little overhead compartment. It feels cramped when I have my normal tournament load of discs and a rain coat in the middle compartment. But lessen the discs and it is fine. I just have to force the discs in when I got the raincoat in there. Probably just need a lighter raincoat. The side pockets are too small for my Golden retriever, so it has to be stored in the main pocket, but it fits there no problem. It is a great bag! Lots of us in Colorado use them... but I haven't seen many in other states.

Mine is in Maize and Blue! I love it.

You a Michigan transplant out to CO too? Thanks for the review. Did it travel well with just the little clips and velcro for the lid/rainfly? It felt to me like if it got turned over that all the discs might just spill out.

We're picking up my new Phenix Core bag tomorrow! The wife insisted that we get me the anniversary present early so there's some of the season left to use it... what a woman! I will be sure to post a review of the bag.

Wow! I just played a round with my new phenix core bag, and love it. It sits so much more comfortably on my back that the old bag, things don't slosh around so much, and the bag was well balanced even with a full water bottle on just one side of it. Everything seems real burly and over-built on this bag, which is great IMO. I'm going to play a few more rounds before I write up a formal review because right now I'm just too happy with my new bag to see any of the shortcomings.

Came out to $145 with the hardcore lining, but if it lasts as long as my old bag (and it should because it is a lot beefier), that works out to less than $10 / year. Pics of the pockets to come shortly...

8 pics to post for you, let me know if you'd like any different shots of them:

pic 1) main center pocket, little zip pocket inside on left, and key/tag ring on right
I would estimate this main pocket to be able to hold 4-5 beers comfortably
IMG_1407.jpg

Latest posts