• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Banzai

Isn't it OOP? I'm looking for a disc to replace my S-PD since those are way too hard to find for a production disc.

OOP yes but there are still some good ones out there. The midnight glow ones are supposed to be pretty great, as long as you're not super paranoid about falling in love with a disc that might be hard to replace.

On Infinite

There are some SPs available as well. They're quite a bit more beefy.

Last edited:
I will give this disc as a try, with time....if nothing more, just for the name.

I was interested in this disc to maybe replace my beat in Ti Ace Race Mantis. A local is moving and has his extras up for sale. I picked up 2 unthrown Ace Race Manti for replacements from him.

I am still interested in how similar they fly to Ace Race Manti.

Have you had the chance to test this yet? I'm looking for a more OS version of the Mantis.

Have you had the chance to test this yet? I'm looking for a more OS version of the Mantis.

No, the Ace Race version is plenty OS. Look for them at your local PIAS.

I am in the process of backing up my core bag with plenty of extras. Every disc I like either goes OOP, retooled or the plastic goes to some crap soft blend....

Figure I need at least 5 of everything before I look at anything new

I've only found one Ace Race Mantis at my local PIAS, and I think it is a 150 class. I've order a Banzai, and actually picked up a couple of discounted Fly-Dye Trackers (1.8, not 3.0). Might be similar.

I am in the process of backing up my core bag with plenty of extras. Every disc I like either goes OOP, retooled or the plastic goes to some crap soft blend....

Figure I need at least 5 of everything before I look at anything new

I know what you mean, I have had 1 Discraft mold in the plastic it was made go oop in the plastic type. Had to get a Discraft disc that is similar. Also had my Magnet putter change from hard and stiff to hard, now I use Jawbreaker but still have the old hard stiff Magnet, warped the softer hard Magnet on a tree August 2017, got Jawbreaker to use as the plastic type felt like what I wanted. I tried too late a Putt'r because by the time the Soft X came out, they stopped making the Pro D plastic for the Putt'r. The Putt'r did not work for me and I tried to force the disc for me at the time, I won it at a tournament that is why.

I got a Banzai in my players pack for NCDGC and finally got a chance to throw it yesterday. This thing is sick, its kind off a weird slot, but it flies so nice. I was getting really nice forehands with it and it feels really good in the hand. I'm glad I traded for another because I think it's gonna be a great addition to my bag.

I got a Banzai in my players pack for NCDGC and finally got a chance to throw it yesterday. This thing is sick, its kind off a weird slot, but it flies so nice. I was getting really nice forehands with it and it feels really good in the hand. I'm glad I traded for another because I think it's gonna be a great addition to my bag.

That's good to hear. I have bagged a Predator in the past, but as I'm trying to learn forehand, I have hated how it feels in my hand with my forehand grip. I think the Machete is too much disc for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how this Banzai flies. I like the Tracker, but yeah, OOP by the time I discovered it, so that means I'll fall in love with it. :)

so how is the Banzai handling wind?

if you throw into a stiff headwind is it turning over or fighting through?

so how is the Banzai handling wind?

if you throw into a stiff headwind is it turning over or fighting through?

It fights wind well. Slight turn but it won't turn over. With a little hyzer, it'll stay straight.

I'm liking it more with each throw. Really liking it for FH

I got a few rounds in with this disc. It is a slightly slower thunderbird or a stable teebird/rival. I don't believe that it has a 1.9 rim. I'd rate it 8/5/0/2. Nice disc, just wish it was slightly faster and more OS. Overall solid release

What size rim could it be? Larger or smaller rim?

just ordered two. with the midnight flyer stamp could not resist.. just total nostalgia.

unique to have this old school stamp on a modern driver.

the flight of the banzai reminds me of the discraft x2. It has a very different rim then the x2 but the flight is similar. it is a good stable to slightly over stable fairway with a solid fade at the end. i would put it around speed 8. good glide not great little to no turn with a solid fade but not meat hooky. good compliment to a mantis.

Smaller. I think it's the same as the Pipeline, 1.8, but I haven't confirmed with a precise measurement

Definitely would like to find out, if possible. I might be interested in trying it out if the rim is smaller.

Definitely would like to find out, if possible. I might be interested in trying it out if the rim is smaller.

Calipers (with metric readings) would offer a more precise measurement, but all I have is a tape measure:

Pipeline and Banzai measure out at 11/16"
Tsunami measures at 25/32"

So almost 1/8" difference between 2 molds (Banzai and Tsunami) with tech standard chart rim thickness measurements of 1.9cm (Pipeline is 1.8cm on the chart).

Calipers (with metric readings) would offer a more precise measurement, but all I have is a tape measure:

Pipeline and Banzai measure out at 11/16"
Tsunami measures at 25/32"

So almost 1/8" difference between 2 molds (Banzai and Tsunami) with tech standard chart rim thickness measurements of 1.9cm (Pipeline is 1.8cm on the chart).

It's interesting to note even without measuring them with a caliper. Your measurements, at the very least, show a discrepency between the molds. The Banzai seems to be closer to the Pipeline (especially if it is just a Pipeline with a microbead) than a Tsunami.

I wonder why the PDGA's measurements have been off with the Vulture and Banzai? New/different person? Lack of oversight? I don't know. I've heard similar complaints with other discs (Axiom fairways). I wonder what other discs have been measured incorrectly.

It's interesting to note even without measuring them with a caliper. Your measurements, at the very least, show a discrepency between the molds. The Banzai seems to be closer to the Pipeline (especially if it is just a Pipeline with a microbead) than a Tsunami.

I wonder why the PDGA's measurements have been off with the Vulture and Banzai? New/different person? Lack of oversight? I don't know. I've heard similar complaints with other discs (Axiom fairways). I wonder what other discs have been measured incorrectly.
They list the RDG Gila as a small diameter, not looking it up right now, but it's easily the largest disc in the bag.