• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Banzai

Traded for a couple of these at a swap meet. Pretty interesting, very forgiving. If you throw it on a bit of an anny it will kind of anhyzer flip to flat and if you throw it on a slight hyzer it will hyzerflip a little bit to flat. Less overstable than a * thunderbird, about equivalent distance for me.

I'll toss one in my bag from time to time for fun, but I don't think it will kick out my normal disc in that slot -- a starfire, just because of the added distance the starfire gets.

Someone described these as a 1.1 SOLF. I picked one up and agree. Really nice disc, gonna knock my SOLF outta the bag for sure (1.1's are too hard to replace).

My Proline is nicely marbled and they have them available in a lot of weights. If you like the lesser stable SOLF's these things are a must try. Didn't get a sparkle so not sure how those compare to Proline.

The Banzai is a very underrated workhorse fairway.

I never would have thought that my Eagle-X's would have been supplanted as my workhorse fairway but due to a recent tournament and feeling like they were a little sluggish, I opted to try out the Banzai more. I initially bought a labeled 167-169 (Proline) Banzai a while back to try out and liked it. While I didn't bag it I did keep it on the back-burner just in case.

Yesterday I did some field work and was crushing the Banzai. I honestly don't feel I had a bad throw with it. I was getting more distance with them than with my Eagles. I don't know why I did put them in the bag earlier. Maybe I thought it would be better to ride out with the Eagles.

I'm going to put the Banzai through some rounds to see if they will truly supplant my Eagles. I'm curious to find out.

The Banzai is a very underrated workhorse fairway.

I never would have thought that my Eagle-X's would have been supplanted as my workhorse fairway but due to a recent tournament and feeling like they were a little sluggish, I opted to try out the Banzai more. I initially bought a labeled 167-169 (Proline) Banzai a while back to try out and liked it. While I didn't bag it I did keep it on the back-burner just in case.

Yesterday I did some field work and was crushing the Banzai. I honestly don't feel I had a bad throw with it. I was getting more distance with them than with my Eagles. I don't know why I did put them in the bag earlier. Maybe I thought it would be better to ride out with the Eagles.

I'm going to put the Banzai through some rounds to see if they will truly supplant my Eagles. I'm curious to find out.

I'm in the same boat as you. I got a Banzai to try for a longer Eagle and I think it is just that, without looking for OOP 1.1 SOLF's. Also prefer it to my 1.1 although I only have one of them.

After having it in the bag a few weeks I am about ready to get rid of my Eagles, I like to have a smaller bag and don't want another mold for a longer shot. Scored my personal best at my favorite course with the Banzai bringing me up from a crappy first 9 holes (mostly putter mid shots).

Definitely picking up a few more of these.

Someone described these as a 1.1 SOLF. I picked one up and agree. Really nice disc, gonna knock my SOLF outta the bag for sure (1.1's are too hard to replace).

My Proline is nicely marbled and they have them available in a lot of weights. If you like the lesser stable SOLF's these things are a must try. Didn't get a sparkle so not sure how those compare to Proline.

My dilemma is not knowing whether to bag the Bandai or OLF. There is a sight difference between the two but it is very little.

Aside from what you said, are there any other differences and similarities between the two for you?

My dilemma is not knowing whether to bag the Bandai or OLF. There is a sight difference between the two but it is very little.

Aside from what you said, are there any other differences and similarities between the two for you?

I am throwing Banzai because they are a better choice than Eagle and OLF together, for me at least. I don't let chosing between Eagle/OLF get in my head anymore. They throw very similar lines for me to the OLF but aren't so speed dependent I think.

My favorite course has all the long holes I normally use OLF's for at the last 7 or 8 holes. If I get tired by then my OLF's only go as far as if I threw an Eagle (even if I was tired with the Eagle shot).

I throw Eagles on holes from 300' to 330' and OLF's were my distance driver, good to about 350' on a good day for me. Banzai throws the same as my 1.1 OLF as far as turn/fade/distance but when I threw those holes I am normally getting fatigued on they were still getting further out than a throw with an Eagle.

How close would you all say the Banzai is to the Vulture? I've read where the Vulture is more OS but I've heard someone say that the Banzai is a little more OS.

The reason I ask is that I like the Banzai flight but I want more plastic options. If the Vulture is similar, then I might try that out.

I just got an SP Banzai (they still have some at SunkingDiscs). It is a little more stable than the Proline. I really like it. I am auditioning these against the FD2 right now. FD2 feels better in the hands but I get 20-30ft more distance with the Banzai with the same control. The Banzai is a really good disc, but like crd 81, I am concerned about future availability and plastic options. I may end up bagging it anyway.

I just got an SP Banzai (they still have some at SunkingDiscs). It is a little more stable than the Proline. I really like it. I am auditioning these against the FD2 right now. FD2 feels better in the hands but I get 20-30ft more distance with the Banzai with the same control. The Banzai is a really good disc, but like crd 81, I am concerned about future availability and plastic options. I may end up bagging it anyway.

To ensure future viability, we have to keep buying them. :D

I'm glad you got a SP. I've been eyeballing the same ones. I need to get one.

Here's the responses I got from the Vulture thread about the comparisons between the two:

jjmiller:
Never thrown a Banzai. Shop has one in the used bin. Rim measured ~.710", or same as the Undertaker/Tracker. Vultures come in around .735", same as Predator/Raptor. Doesn't say much except a Banzai theoretically isn't as "fast" and may be more likely to have more turn and/or less fade.

NotHarambe:
The Banzai feels slower with a harder finish than a Culture (comparing Proline to ESP). You might get a more similar flight out of some of the more stable plastics for the Vulture like BigZ or that run of Cryztal that's supposed to be nice and beefy

wolfmandragon:
I have never thrown a Vulture but the Banzai is very MOLF like in its flight. A little harder fade, but later. It's got plenty of fade

Hope this helps out for people who are checking in this thread.

Hope this helps out for people who are checking in this thread.

Appreciate the info. Been considering checking out the Banzai since I used to love throwing Eagles. I think I'm far too invested in undertakers though :\

Appreciate the info. Been considering checking out the Banzai since I used to love throwing Eagles. I think I'm far too invested in undertakers though :\
FWIW, I bag a Proline Banzai and a BigZ Undertaker and don't really find any overlap. The Banzai doesn't have as much distance potential but for headwinds or harder finishes it comes out instead of the Undertaker

FWIW, I bag a Proline Banzai and a BigZ Undertaker and don't really find any overlap. The Banzai doesn't have as much distance potential but for headwinds or harder finishes it comes out instead of the Undertaker

I'm thinking they'd overlap more with my beat predators than undertakers. What you describe is exactly what I use the beat preds for. But in my bag, there's not really any room between preds and 'takers so I'd likely have to make a choice to keep my lineup simple.

While I have never thrown a 1.1 MOLF, I will say that the Banzai probably fits in between an OLF and Eagle in terms of distance. Honestly, I was throwing the Banzai as far as my seasoned OLFs. It has sneaky distance.If I were to make a comparison, I would liken the Banzai to a slightly shorter premium plastic P-PD.

Overall, the Banzai is a versatile disc that flies like a faster fairway when thrown with power.

I picked up a first flight Banzai a few weeks ago. The Banzai is more overstable than I thought it would be. The flight is nice, the fade starts early but it's a long fade. If I put in time with the Banzai I think it would work out but I have a lot of Thunderbirds that I have trust in.
The Banzai wants a little more power than I have.

Last edited:
I picked up a first flight Banzai a few weeks ago. The Banzai is more overstable than I thought it would be. The flight is nice, the fade starts early but it's a long fade. If I put in time with the Banzai I think it would work out but I have a lot of Thunderbirds that I have trust in.
The Banzai wants a little more power than I have.

What weight is your Banzai? I have thrown a lighter weight and it goes straight and far before hyzering out.

What weight is your Banzai? I have thrown a lighter weight and it goes straight and far before hyzering out.

174 on my scale.
It feels like it's really close to having a full flight. Maybe this Banzai needs to be broken in a little for my power or maybe a little lighter in weight.
The two champ thunderbirds I carry are 169 and 170, both seasoned.
The only way I can hit 400' these days is with a big flex shot throwing a high 160's star shryke or a gstar Destroyer.

I've been playing a lot lately on a heavily wooded course. The Banzai is really working for me now. It still has its hss but the fade is kicking in later. The Banzai is pairing well with my titanium and z Undertakers.

Marshalls discgolf guide have the Banzai as very OS in column C ( same columm as the Hellfire ) . . thats more OS than the Predator and Machete ( column D )

Is the Banzai relly THAT OS??

Marshalls discgolf guide have the Banzai as very OS in column C ( same columm as the Hellfire ) . . thats more OS than the Predator and Machete ( column D )

Is the Banzai relly THAT OS??

InBounds flight guide shows the Banzai is closer to a Teebird3 than a Predator