• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beach Sports Network - USDGC

Well considering how more and more manufacturers are popping up - it is interesting to see Innova throwing out a new tagline: "We are disc golf."

Is that totally new? I haven't seen it before, but I haven't been buying DVDs over the last few years.

I thought that this one was much better than the previous episodes.

Just finished this one up. Definitely makes DG look positive and professional to the masses that may see this.

Well considering how more and more manufacturers are popping up - it is interesting to see Innova throwing out a new tagline: "We are disc golf."

Is that totally new? I haven't seen it before, but I haven't been buying DVDs over the last few years.

They've aired that commercial since at least the Vibram, which was in late August.

I thought this video was awesome. Even though I already knew the outcome and with no actual hole by hole play. I was really captivated the whole time. This is a successful DG video for the masses. Great job DGPTV

I couldn't disagree more with everyone who liked the video. The production value was higher that what we ususally get, but without hole by hole coverage the video doesn't really do a great job of showing the skill required to play the game at the level those guys play at. I'd like to see distances, comments on disc selection, etc. This highlight reel just looked like a bunch of dudes tossing frisbees around near water.

I liked this vid, but I do agree with Puckstopper. Maybe next year they will actually be given more time to showcase not just wrapups but entire tournies.

Also, in the YouTube comments, I LOL at the random morons who complain about the blank spaces in the video. Apparently people don't know what a TV spot is.

I couldn't disagree more with everyone who liked the video. The production value was higher that what we ususally get, but without hole by hole coverage the video doesn't really do a great job of showing the skill required to play the game at the level those guys play at. I'd like to see distances, comments on disc selection, etc. This highlight reel just looked like a bunch of dudes tossing frisbees around near water.
To be fair, this video is definitely targeted at people who don't understand (and obsess) over the game like DGCR folks. This is not a bad thing. Highly edited, slick production, multiple storylines, etc. Great for trying to keep the attention of somebody that doesn't care about disc selection, distance and whatnot.

However, it would be VERY nice if the USDGC would take the time to release a relatively 'raw' version for those of us that just want to see the discs flying.

Also, in the YouTube comments, I LOL at the random morons who complain about the blank spaces in the video. Apparently people don't know what a TV spot is.
Its a valid complaint. 2 minutes in an editing program and those black spaces are gone. Very unprofessional to leave them in before uploading to Youtube. Especially when the rest of the product looks so polished.

Last edited:
great vid! I'm stoked to see that finally dg is getting some major exposure on the big sports networks. Its great that the sport is getting some real airtime to introduce it the masses, especially with a vid such a high production quality.

As far as the details about disc selection and hole-by-hole play, it would have been nice to see more; but I have to agree that as far as introducing the game the drama presented during the tourney was enough to keep one interested.

Probably should keep in mind that it's only a half-hour program. Can't really do a hole-by-hole, shot-by-shot detailed show in a half-hour.

As has been said, the show's not targeted at the hardcore disc golfers. It's intended for the masses, both the uninitiated and the casual chucker types...got to make it palatable for them since they're not likely to want to spend 3 hours watching a sport they've either never heard of or know very little about. They need a story to follow. They need a reason to watch. Besides, the truly hardcore "fans" are the ones that have already watched the live online feed or the dozen other highlight videos on Youtube that are available long before this show is going to air.

As an analogy, I stumbled on the US Racquetball Championships on cable the other day (Tennis Channel). I don't know much about racquetball but I stopped and watched for five minutes because, hey, it's a relatively obscure sport that isn't on TV much and I had nothing better to do at the time.

It wasn't a highlight show, it was the full shot-by-shot match (actually it was the first of two semi-finals, to be followed by the championship match). It was what I imagine some folks here would be looking for in a TV broadcast of disc golf. Each point of the match was shown...it felt like a live broadcast even though it was clearly taped and not aired live (it was 8am or something when I watched it).

I lasted about 10 minutes before I gave it up. I was bored, I couldn't really follow the ball, and the announcers (3 of them) were stumbling over each other and failing to finish any of their descriptions because they couldn't get it out fast enough to finish before the next point was contested. Since this was taped and scheduled for a couple hours, I was surprised that it wasn't edited at least a little so the announcers could make cogent points about the match (or show replays) and/or explain what was going on to the unfamiliar (like me).

I imagine that what I was experiencing was what a person unfamiliar with disc golf would experience watching live or pseudo-live coverage of disc golf. Maybe their curiosity is peaked enough to tune in for a couple minutes, and they're mildly impressed by the discs flying (like I was by the speed at which the ball was being rocketed around the court) but I can't imagine they'd be compelled to stick with it for very long.

I think a hardcore racquetball fan, someone who at least are familiar with the players' names if not their games, would have been enjoying the show. As someone who's never played and really only ever seen the game briefly in movies, I didn't.

Its a valid complaint. 2 minutes in an editing program and those black spaces are gone. Very unprofessional to leave them in before uploading to Youtube. Especially when the rest of the product looks so polished.

True. I'm more speaking to the morons who are like "WTF is this blank space, sooooooo unprofessional," and don't even know why they are there in the first place.

True. I'm more speaking to the morons who are like "WTF is this blank space, sooooooo unprofessional," and don't even know why they are there in the first place.

The reason it's there "in the first place" doesn't really hold water when the reason it's there on YouTube is because they were too lazy to take it out. :)

I haven't watched it yet, but it sounds good. DG could use more stuff like this - stuff that appeals or attempts to appeal to the non-DG player.

I still haven't watched the whole thing but I like what I see so far. It makes these disc golfers seem so important, larger than life. Like other athletes. Of course we all know better, but it's funny how the production can change the perception.

Latest posts