• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best all around disc

I disagree with this. They fly so differently, they can't really be considered as the same type of disc. I, myself, wasn't able to be as successful with any plastic axis as I am with any plastic comet.

Different strokes for different folks.

Let's put things in a different perspective. A Nuke OS and a beat Aviar fly very differently. A stable midrange is a stable midrange. There may be some adjusting involved, but any one of the stable midranges mentioned in this thread could work. You prefer a Comet over the Axis and others prefer Roc over Buzzz or Ibex over Core....etc....etc.

None of these discs are identical to each other and each one handles certain lines just slightly differently. But the difference is so small that it can be overcome and adjusted to.

But in the end, it seems that stable midranges have the strongest opinions attached to them. All of us have our personall preferences. Like you said...different strokes for different folks.

But in the end, it seems that stable midranges have the strongest opinions attached to them. All of us have our personall preferences. Like you said...different strokes for different folks.

^Truth. Putting putter and workhorse mids are the most personal disc choices.

Let's put things in a different perspective. A Nuke OS and a beat Aviar fly very differently. A stable midrange is a stable midrange. There may be some adjusting involved, but any one of the stable midranges mentioned in this thread could work. You prefer a Comet over the Axis and others prefer Roc over Buzzz or Ibex over Core....etc....etc.

None of these discs are identical to each other and each one handles certain lines just slightly differently. But the difference is so small that it can be overcome and adjusted to.

A Comet and an Axis are about as similar as a VP and an Aero.

Sure, the comet and axis are both stable midranges, but they are from different eras of golf, and they really do require different types of skillsets to be able to throw them well. Do some of those skillsets overlap? Yes, but overall, I think you're missing the point I was trying to make.

My personal preference and skill set has nothing to do with the dissimilarity between the two discs in question...

A Comet and an Axis are about as similar as a VP and an Aero.

That's a stretch.

The X Comet is definitely a bit more understable than the N Axis. I have not thrown a Z Comet, but I'm willing to bet that most players would find the flight of the Z Comet, and N Axis very similar.

I like this comparison analogy game. The Comet and Axis are like an Aero and an xd...They have a similar stability yet are still very different to throw. This is the comparison. Exactly. Xd is flat and a line drive disc(though has decent glide in dx), Aero is a slower touch disc with big glide. Their range is almost identical, but once again how they get there is different enough for even someone who doesn't play disc golf to see.

I like this comparison analogy game. The Comet and Axis are like an Aero and an xd...They have a similar stability yet are still very different to throw. This is the comparison. Exactly. Xd is flat and a line drive disc(though has decent glide in dx), Aero is a slower touch disc with big glide. Their range is almost identical, but once again how they get there is different enough for even someone who doesn't play disc golf to see.

This comparison is much more logical than Axis / Comet = VP / Aero.

Comparing the disc's flight patterns and characterstics is interesting.

But, the answer to the OP stays the same: Stable midrange.

I actually had to play with just one disc for the second round of a non-PDGA tourney, and I chose my SS Wizard. I sacrificed a little distance on the longer holes, but more than made up for it with putting. I've also played a one disc round for fun with a E Element. Wasn't too bad, but slid by several baskets with putts outside the circle. SS Wizard gets my vote.

I would be confident playing a one disc round with any of the following:

Opto Pure
QMS
Ibex
Obex
VP

All in all, the Ibex or a nice gummy QMS would probably be the best for "all around" disc.

I'd want to say a roc but a beat dx gator would be nice, I have trouble putting with the larger diameter.