• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Course in Texas

lake lewisville.....i personally favor lewisville as it used to be my home course, but it will always have a place in my tops...maybe not #1 or even 10 but man, what a great course, with some very unique settings.

i havnt played many courses in texas, but have played a lot in dfw so here are my picks

IN THE TOP TEN(no particular order)
zboaz
lester lorch(both)
veterans(according to me, and many others)

HONORABLE MENTION
veterans(according to donovan lol)
lake lewisville
pioneer park

i know im being redundant bc ive allready said all of this, this was mainly done for donovan :)

Donovan are you serious?!?!?!?!?! your killin me man, veterans has to be in the top ten. its got EVERYTHING, elevation, long, short, tight, and open holes...whats wrong with that? :) not saying your wrong, im open to others opinions, i just wanna know WHY you dont think its in the top ten, i guess im just missing somethin

btw when are you playing again?

I feel that the back tracking from pin to tee in the dessert holes, the open field holes, and the lack of good walking trains to get to the pins in the dessert holes, seems to hold this one down for me. It does have everything a course should have, I just wish it was a bit more easy to trek. Maybe I am wrong and a bit criical, but if we were going to big the top ten, it should have it all. Then again the lack of signs at Z-Boaz does not help it much.

I too love Lake Lewisville and Towne Lake!

My favorite course in Texas (so far) is Old Settler's Park in Round Rock.

Sure it's windy out there, and not very technical, but I really enjoy throwing long drives, and this course is so much longer than other courses I've played. Playing this course has really taught me how to drive and how to throw in the wind. If you have a big arm, you must play this course at least once!

true on the desert holes...that parts ridiculous and always seems to piss me off...and talk about a hike, i feel beat after everytime i play 5,6,and 7, i think its just because of the "flow" that makes it seem sooooo long.
i agree with you on zboaz, thats the only problem i had with that course.
never played towne lake, but ive hear a lot of good things about it

true on the desert holes...that parts ridiculous and always seems to piss me off...and talk about a hike, i feel beat after everytime i play 5,6,and 7, i think its just because of the "flow" that makes it seem sooooo long.

Towne Lake is pretty good, and that creek is a monster, but it felt a little repetitious on the front nine to me. There are a lot of courses I have previously mentioned on this thread that I believe are better than Towne Lake. However, it is a very polished and professional looking course.

I feel that the back tracking from pin to tee in the dessert holes, the open field holes, and the lack of good walking trains to get to the pins in the dessert holes, seems to hold this one down for me.

ummm... Dessert holes....uuuuuuuuhhhhhh! (My best attempt at a Homer Simpson sound)

Donovan are you serious?!?!?!?!?! your killin me man, veterans has to be in the top ten. its got EVERYTHING, elevation, long, short, tight, and open holes...whats wrong with that? :) not saying your wrong, im open to others opinions, i just wanna know WHY you dont think its in the top ten, i guess im just missing somethin

btw when are you playing again?
I have to say I am also not a fan of Veterans. my brother and I don't even go there anymore. When I come out there this summer we will probably play 10 or more courses and it won't be one of them. Just personal preference.

The top 20 courses in order as rated on this site are as follows, and the good news is that most of these courses are talked about in this thread.

Lester Lorch Park - Coyote - 4.5 (15 Reviews) (DFW Area)
Circle R - Rolling Meadows - 4.5 (10 Reviews) (Austin Area)
Circle R - Circ Hill - 4.46 (12 Reviews) (Austin Area)
East Metro Park - 4.46 (14 Reviews) (Austin Area)
Cameron Park East - 4.42 (6 Reviews)
Lester Lorch Park - Beaver - 4.39 (14 Reviews) (DFW Area)
Mackenzie Park - 4.3 (5 Reviews)
*Harry Myers - 4.29 (17 Reviews) (DFW Area)
Gonzales DGC - 4.25 (2 Reviews)
Riverside Park - 4.17 (3 Reviews)
*Shawshank - 4.13 (4 Reviews)
Veteran's Park - 4.09 (22 Reviews) (DFW Area)
*Oak Meadows Park - 4.08 (6 Reviews) (Houston Area)
Z-Boaz Park - 4.07 (15 Reviews) (DFW Area)
Williamson County DGC - 4.07 (15 Reviews) (Austin Area)
Lake Lewisville Park - 4.02 (21 Reviews) (DFW Area)
*The LINKS at Quail Valley - 4.0 (4 Reviews) (Houston Area)
*Pease Park - 4.0 (20 Reviews) (Austin Area)
Moody's DGC - 4.0 (1 Reviews) (Austin Area) - Grain of salt here!
*Snow Farm - 4.0 (3 Reviews)

* - Courses I've had the pleasure to play. Looks like an Austin trip is in order!
I've even shamelessly linked the courses I've reviewed in case you'd like to help my case for Gold! :eek:

Note: Technically some of these courses aren't in Austin/ DFW/Houston exactly, but if it was relatively close I just marked it as such.

Totals:
DFW - 6
Austin - 6
Houston - 2
Other - 6

I think with McDade's new layout, concrete tee-boxes, and increased difficulty it is cementing itself as one of the top three Houston area courses. I just love that the community of Conroe gives a damn. They didn't need to change the course they chose to and that gives them brownie points in my book. I haven't played Jack Brooks 1 or 2 yet but the more I hear about it the more I'm excited about giving it a shot.

Note: Technically some of these courses aren't in Austin/ DFW/Houston exactly, but if it was relatively close I just marked it as such.

Totals:
DFW - 6
Austin - 6
Houston - 2
Other - 6

All of the courses you listed as DFW ARE in DFW...and I think we should get to count Cam East since it is closer to us. :)
Thanks for taking the time to do that btw...very cool.

I have to say I am also not a fan of Veterans. my brother and I don't even go there anymore. When I come out there this summer we will probably play 10 or more courses and it won't be one of them. Just personal preference.

I don't get it. Veteran's is a great course! I wish it was a little closer so I could play it more.

C'mon guys. That just means it's time to hit the gym. Ever heard of a treadmill? :)

All of the courses you listed as DFW ARE in DFW...and I think we should get to count Cam East since it is closer to us. :)
Thanks for taking the time to do that btw...very cool.

If you get Cameron in Waco, that means I'm giving us (Houston) Snow Farm in Round Top and Shawshank in Hunstville! :D

I don't want to be a stickler but..... I think Cam East might technically be closer to Austin.... depending, of course, on what you consider DFW's southern boundary to be. I call Round Rock as being part of Austin since yall get Dallas AND Fort Worth :p

No, but seriously, most of my family lives in ft. worth... I REALLY need to take the time and finally play Cameron on my way up next time... I'm sure once I do I'll be hooked & be showin' up consistenly later than usual.... :D

C'mon guys. That just means it's time to hit the gym. Ever heard of a treadmill? :)

why walk in place when you can walk a course....i guess i just play bear creek wayyyy to much and im just getting lazy...what can i say, its a short walk, mostly in the shade, and FLAT...lol.....kinda boring, but really relaxing:D

My nominations in no particular order

Harry Myers (yes it has a few filler holes but they are still better than some at other courses)
Towne Lake (someone said the front is repetitive, only from short tee to A pin)
Circle R Meadow (the hill is sick also)
Wilco (flat but still a very fun course)
Lester Lorch Beaver (I must be the only one that likes it over the Coyote)
Oak Ridge (shouldn't count because it is invite only, but deserves its props)
Cameron Park, the Beast

I haven't played Moody's, shawshank, east metro, circle c and have only played the mighty Z a few times. I need a couple more rounds in to appreciate it.

I'm not a fan of Veterans, It is a beating to play. I feel the same way about Bi-Centennial in Crowley. They are good courses, just not my favorites.
Gateway is only good because it is stupid hard and that is about all it has going for it. I'll go play it again in a few years.

Wile not the best by any means I love the Alex Clark, Lewisville Lake and Fritz. Very fun courses.

Awww...no mention of little Bear?

nope, I've got no love for that course. Between the cluster-f that was the 06 poison ivy open. The cops that hide in the woods. The neighborhood that doesn't like disc golfers. It isn't high on my list. It is by no means a bad course but for the aforementioned reasons I don't get the same "warm fuzzys" I get at other parks.