• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Course in Texas

Live oak gold in ingleside

This is definately in the top 10 courses in Texas, probably the hardest course in Texas. Another gem designed by Mike Olse, 18 hole par 65. Too bad you have to play the red course during tourneys down there.

lindsey park, 3 courses in one park. long and short concrete tees. and dont let the dogwood course scare you!

In no particular order...

Shawshank
Circle C
East Metro
Snow Farm
Lester Lorch (both)
Moody's
ZBoaz

I am surprised at the number of people naming Harry Myers, I thought it was overrated.

In DFW my favorites are Z-Boaz, Lester Lorch and Veterans.

In Austin it's Pease (RIP) and East Metro.

I say Lester Lorch.. it's hard to beat two great courses in one park, but that might change once I play Harry Myers.

I am surprised at the number of people naming Harry Myers, I thought it was overrated.

In DFW my favorites are Z-Boaz, Lester Lorch and Veterans.

Of those 4, I consider Harry Myers to be the most well developed in terms of having stairways and bridges, etc. It seems to be the most navigable, well-marked, and basically civilized, while still offerring a very high level of challenge and variety. I'd say it is the course most ready for prime time tv.

The other three courses have some great holes, but are more treacherous to navigate, especially z-boaz. At lorch, beaver is in good shape, but coyote is poorly marked, tougher to navigate, and it is easy to put your eye out on low sharp branches trying to play your lie. And between beaver and harry myers, I'd take harry myers.

But the number one factor, and it is an extremely important factor, is that harry myers has permanent, well stocked, clean restrooms with running water. Lorch just has the one porta potty, but it does seem to be well stocked and clean. Veterans and z boaz don't even have porta potties.

My favorite hands down is East Metro in Manor, TX. Beautiful, challenging, and usually not busy. If you have never played East Metro you are missing out on some fine golf!

Others that fall close behind in no particular order are:
Circle C - Austin, TX
Pease Park - Austin, TX (RIP :( )
Lester Lorch (both courses) - DFW
Circle R - Wimberly, TX
Twin Parks Country Club (both courses) - Dripping Springs, TX

Really need to make a trip up to the DFW area and play some of the good courses up there, I've only played Lester Lorch. I really want to play Shawshank in Houston as well.

Reviving an old thread to highlight a best of list for disc golf in TX apparently produced by a beer label. It's a decent list, but the use of the term "frolfers" in some of the descriptions (even if in jest) is off putting. I was happy to see Fritz Park in DFW on the list.

Reviving an old thread to highlight a best of list for disc golf in TX apparently produced by a beer label. It's a decent list, but the use of the term "frolfers" in some of the descriptions (even if in jest) is off putting. I was happy to see Fritz Park in DFW on the list.

Lolwut. I mean, they really missed the cream filling with that bite.

In regards to the Houston area list.. don't get me wrong, Taylor Lake Village was a decent 18er back in the day and also one of my hometown courses that I first started throwing discs at but the new 9 hole layout is definitely not a destination course..

And how the hell is the two Jack Brooks courses in Hitchcock not on there??

Yes, this "article" raises a lot of questions, such as: "Why?" and also, "Huh?"

I especially enjoyed the last-minute, no proof-reading, 7th grade essay quality of the grammar, spelling, and overall content.

I clicked on the article out of curiosity.
such a weird mix of courses to highlight for Austin. a novice cupcake course and a pro level beat down course somehow made the same list for this clueless frolfing writer. I would agree with Roy G and also Flat Creek, even though i haven't played that one. I suppose Zilker could be argued as the article doesnt state "best course", but rather "best spot." Zilker is a pretty awesome park in the heart of downtown. Wells Branch DGC is included in the list? I assure everyone that if I wrote this, I wouldn't include this course. none of my friends in Austin talk about the live oak brewery course. i doubt its anything special.

pizzagod is probably best qualified to write a Texas list.
i'd be curious to know what's in his top ten for Texas.

Latest posts