• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best disk for overhand distance Drive Tomahawk throws?

the Epic was designed for the overhand throw, and only the overhand throw. it works amazing...until it hits anything the first time. The plastic is so crappy it gets beat in almost instantly. If it were made in a durable plastic, it might be a useful disc.

the Epic was designed for the overhand throw, and only the overhand throw. it works amazing...until it hits anything the first time. The plastic is so crappy it gets beat in almost instantly. If it were made in a durable plastic, it might be a useful disc.

Interesting that you say this. I thought the Epic was a disc you were supposed to be able to tune to the stability you want even after doing things like nailing trees. Have you tried tuning it?

XxX is the best for max distance. I also like the trident and drone for shorter shots, and a striker if I need it to flip faster or less side to side movement.

Any super under stable disc can fly the same lines as an epic. I haven't played with it much since its still an inconsistent shot, but i can get my most beat in opto vision to do a full barrel roll just like the epic.

Interesting that you say this. I thought the Epic was a disc you were supposed to be able to tune to the stability you want even after doing things like nailing trees. Have you tried tuning it?

I've tried 'tuning' mine with a hammer after some tree hits and it never would go back close to it's original flight characteristics.

Te plastic is not good, something like Pro or Elite X would be better. Tunable but able to take some abuse.

I've tried 'tuning' mine with a hammer after some tree hits and it never would go back close to it's original flight characteristics.

Te plastic is not good, something like Pro or Elite X would be better. Tunable but able to take some abuse.

Ok, thanks for the info. I just got a used one, it still seems pretty OS at this point. I'll try to keep it away from trees.

From all the posts so far, it seems the best discs to throw are typically Overstable. I really only have my Firebird as my truly meat hook in the bag. I carry 2 Gators, but they're for short to medium type shots.

I know most people on here(including myself) rag on the epic, but if you can get it to do that weird barrel roll and flatten out, they go a long way. One of the local guys uses a DD2 for his monster thumbers.
I agree with brutalbrutus. I have a love/hate relationship with the epic. I use the epic for my thumbers and tomahawks only. Yes, they are very unpredictable but if the wind cooperates I can throw it 500'-600' and it makes everyone jealous. There aren't many courses that have 600' holes but it's fun watching it fly. They also take a good beating so you may want to buy 2 or 3.

We have a local guy who throws an epic 500'+ and it's pretty epic to watch. I use a TI nuke that is VERY OS but I can only hit around 350' max.

I have an old tyedie z flick. Its really beat in, but still stable. I thumber and tomahawk that thing 400 feet. Its my only overhand disc that I've ever owned. I don't think its going to come out til it literally breaks.

For most overhand shots I will use my Flick, but I will say my longest distance overhand is definitely with the Epic. I have gotten that disc out to about 550' when the wind cooperates, but as others have said, the fisher price plastic they use is absolute garbage. I wish that an actual disc golf company could remake a similar design in better plastic, but the PDGA won't allow anyone else to make anything like it. Oh yeah, and I'm the only person that I know of that has an "Epic Ace"!!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the old discraft xtreme. I can definitely thumber that farther than a FAF firebird.

I know it is probably weird, but I have a lot of success throwing my lightweight axiom crave overhand.

Been using my star Wraith for years. wouldn't switch it for anything (save maybe an Outlaw)

Latest posts