• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cam Todd-forgotten great?

I don't think there were any situations that really needed a forehand on those courses.

Obviously he didn't need a forehand for the GBO - he won the tournament.

There were some holes and shots that would have favored it, but were perfectly doable with a backhand anny.

I think that any course that demands all the different disc golf shots, techniques and conditions in at least some occasions, is a truer test of golf than one that doesn't.

He was probably just much more comfortable with his backhand.

Maybe they were incorrect but Terry & Dixon said on the broadcast that he just doesn't throw a FH.

As for all of the stories about Cam Todd's outrageous behavior on the course, I have absolutely no first hand knowledge of that but from what I saw from the final round at GBO, he barely made a peep. If he consciously tried to tone down his behavior, it looks like it worked to great effect. Good for him. It also helps being north of 40 too. Just not as much venom in your stinger.

The suspension that was handed down WAS for a year, but was negotiated down to 1 year probation in exchange for donating his USDGC winnings to the Leukemia Society; otherwise, he would have been ineligible to compete.

No, the initial suspension was for four months with a couple years of probation after that. He secured the services of Mark Ellis (a lawyer and teammate at Discraft) and appealed/negotiated down to shorter probation and the USDGC donation. The thread chronicling it all is still up at PDGA.com.

And to the topic of signature discs, one of the reasons Cam jumped to Discraft from Innova (in addition to Innova pressuring him to cut the crap behavior-wise) is that they promised and delivered a signature disc, the Cam Todd Challenger.

If he keeps playing like he did he will be I bet. I just hope he can keep that kind of play going all year. Gives us middle age dudes so hope and someone to root for.
Gives hope to anyone that was a world championship contender by his mid-20s that they can return to form?

You don't remember correctly.

Cam was with Innova when he won the world championship, and when he was touring with Leslie and Worm (Mike Young). He jumped to Discraft following the 2003 USDGC, after Innova declined to retain his services for 2004, owing to the mounting number of on-course incidents.

So he never played with an Express, or for Discraft? Hmmmm.

On the other hand, thanks for the clarification on where he was when.

And to the topic of signature discs, one of the reasons Cam jumped to Discraft from Innova (in addition to Innova pressuring him to cut the crap behavior-wise) is that they promised and delivered a signature disc, the Cam Todd Challenger.

Wasn't the wasp basically made for him as well?

No, the initial suspension was for four months with a couple years of probation after that. He secured the services of Mark Ellis (a lawyer and teammate at Discraft) and appealed/negotiated down to shorter probation and the USDGC donation. The thread chronicling it all is still up at PDGA.com.

I just clicked on that link for S&Gs, but it mentions that the TD that was involved in the incident that led to his suspension was Jay Svitko. Is this the same guy now involved in the brouhaha at Lemon Lake?

Good recollection, you brought up a bunch of memories! This situation actually raised a number of issues, some felt that the negotiation was unfair and political. That is, that the PDGA was simply playing it on a wing. The consequence was that the PDGA developed a formal protocol for the disciplinary committee with standards for violations, and documentation. The PDGA could see every possible sanction becoming a debate and a negotiation and wanted a straightforward and fair process. I think it was Brian H. who started that, but it could have been the Board, I just don't fully recall.

I just clicked on that link for S&Gs, but it mentions that the TD that was involved in the incident that led to his suspension was Jay Svitko. Is this the same guy now involved in the brouhaha at Lemon Lake?

The TD was Dan Busick.

There was a PDGA marshal involved named Jay. Don't recall seeing anything that mentioned his last name.

Gives hope to anyone that was a world championship contender by his mid-20s that they can return to form?

Meaning even newer players in there early to mid 30's can be professionally competitive if they really focus on their game.

Sad to see people bringing up events from so long ago that have no relation to the GBO win.
Let stuff go, especially if its noya.

Cam is a good guy and it was awesome to see him take down a huge win.

I think the only discs I saw him throw during the GBO was Destroyer, KC Roc, Outlaw, and whatever he is putting these days

On the Texas States vids, they look like Legacy somethings.

Meaning even newer players in there early to mid 30's can be professionally competitive if they really focus on their game.
I don't think he fits in with that demo. Haha.

Not that I disagree that you can start in your 30s and be incredibly killer as a player. Just laughing at the comparison - locals in my area made the same one. Now you want a current player guys like that can really feel encouraged by: Pat Brown. As far as I know he started it up in his 30s, yes?

Sad to see people bringing up events from so long ago that have no relation to the GBO win.
Let stuff go, especially if its noya.

Cam is a good guy and it was awesome to see him take down a huge win.
I don't think ANYONE is trying to put down his win. The conversation was more along the lines of the newer guys asking what happened that caused him to disappear. I think everyone here has been overwhelmingly positive about all of the things brought up. He made mistakes, we all do - he just happened to be a potential face-of-the-sport at the time, the mid-late `00s were to my eyes a rough transition period from Climo to the current generational multitude of stars - lots of titles up for grabs among a pretty diverse group. He could have won a LOT of NTs with his talent. It makes sense for the new people to ask "What happened? This guy is awesome" just as it makes sense to bring up "Well, this happened... and look how awesome he is now!"

I don't think he fits in with that demo. Haha.

Not that I disagree that you can start in your 30s and be incredibly killer as a player. Just laughing at the comparison - locals in my area made the same one. Now you want a current player guys like that can really feel encouraged by: Pat Brown. As far as I know he started it up in his 30s, yes?

Yeah, Patrick started tournament play in 2004 in Intermediate, and moved from Open to Masters in 2009, so he was around 34-ish when he played his first PDGA event. I think he began playing maybe a year or two before that in Berkeley, but probably no younger than 31-32 when he took up the sport.

talked to cam todd at GCC while buying one of his paintings, he was chasing his PGA tour card playing professional golf in the southeast I believe. very difficult to do if your not rich or have sponsors which I don't think mr. todd had claim to. he's back though, so look out...... wooohoo.

I have chatted with both Cam and his wife. Everyone around the area that knows Cam will all agree that he is a Great guy. Everyone has there ups and downs in life. I wish him the best of luck.

On a side note..... Holy cow of all people to take the beast down. Cam Todd!!!!!

end rant

Latest posts