• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charging people to give their disc back?

Jtrain

Par Member
Do you think its right to charge someone to give them their disc back? because I got a call from someone saying hey I got your disc and it will cost you $5 to get it back. what should I do?

Depends on how much you want the disc back. Personally, I think its a dick move to charge someone to get their disc back as long as the other person doesn't make any demands on getting it back. Even if the other person made demands on when and where I drop the disc off, I wouldn't charge them but they would also pick the disc up where I choose to deliver it at.

Depends on how much you want the disc back. Personally, I think its a dick move to charge someone to get their disc back as long as the other person doesn't make any demands on getting it back. Even if the other person made demands on when and where I drop the disc off, I wouldn't charge them but they would also pick the disc up where I choose to deliver it at.

I agree with this. I feel like if you are going to be a douche and make someone pay to get their disc back, you are just digging yourself a karma hole and eventually your favorite disc will turn over into a river or construction site never to be seen again.

I can see paying a guy who fishes a lake out a couple bucks for their effort but anymore than that is just plain theft IMO. If there is a name and number on a disc I always make an effort to get it back to them and don't charge, it's the right thing to do.

I wouldn't charge anyone anything to give them their disc back unless I had to drive really far to meet up with them or something like that. Other than something like that I wouldn't ask for anything because if I lost a disc and someone wanted money for it I would probably tell them to just keep it if that's how it is.

I had a kid do this to me. I figured he was around 12-13. I told him I had his name and number and that I was going to call his mother about the extortion he was committing. He started crying and hung up. All in all, I did not get my disc back but I had a large smile on my face (yeah I get kicks out of making little kids cry).

I would love for somebody to try n charge me for my own stuff. You'd have to have balls to try somethin like that :\

If you have a disc you'd actually like returned, consider putting a reward on it. Lots of the people who return discs out of kindness will deny the compensation and a few others who might not otherwise call may be more inclined.

As for the actual question in the OP...I think it's pretty lame, but if you look at it as being given the opportunity to buy a disc where you already know exactly how it flies it seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

I had a kid do this to me. I figured he was around 12-13. I told him I had his name and number and that I was going to call his mother about the extortion he was committing. He started crying and hung up. All in all, I did not get my disc back but I had a large smile on my face (yeah I get kicks out of making little kids cry).

:clap: awesome! This kid will never pull that one again.

If you have a disc you'd actually like returned, consider putting a reward on it. Lots of the people who return discs out of kindness will deny the compensation and a few others who might not otherwise call may be more inclined.

Great Idea! I've offered $5 after the guy gave it back, but I've never thought to put in on the disc as incentive to call.

I would beat him up but I am 18. Trying to find something saying it is illegal to sell it to me or something so he would have to give to me. or something. because this kid was so rude about it. I am like if were going to do it your time, why should I have to pay when your mother probably drived you here? Because I think it is illegal to sell something for cash in my state in your under 18

Maybe I shouldt do this but I usually give a disc to someone who calls and returns one of mine.(usually a junker disc0 I hope that by doing this it will encourage the person to keep calling found discs. A friend of mine called a pro wraith he found and the guy gave him a $20 giftcard. Which is more than it would have cost to replace it

Okay, so it's a really stupid, improper thing to charge $5 to return your disc, but there are discs that I have lost that I would gladly pay $5, $10 or $20 to get back.
If it's worth it to you, meet him and get the disc back and give him a lecture for charging you.
If you don't want the disc back let him keep it. Simple.

- it's rude to not offer something in return for someone returning your disc (especially if it is being shipped back to you).

- it's also rude to demand payment for returning a disc unless there is a special circumstance. (i.e. you are returning 20 discs and could not possibly pay shipping on them all)

once again, just common knowledge on good etiquette.

It's a total dbag move. Return discs because it's the right thing to do, not for profit. I do agree that if you're driving a good distance (more than 15 minutes out of your way) to return it then it's perfectly acceptable to ask for gas money or have them do the driving.

i say agree to pay and meet him, then just take the disc and dont pay, whats he gonna do? he cant really call the police.

- it's rude to not offer something in return for someone returning your disc (especially if it is being shipped back to you).

- it's also rude to demand payment for returning a disc unless there is a special circumstance. (i.e. you are returning 20 discs and could not possibly pay shipping on them all)

once again, just common knowledge on good etiquette.

It's a total dbag move. Return discs because it's the right thing to do, not for profit. I do agree that if you're driving a good distance (more than 15 minutes out of your way) to return it then it's perfectly acceptable to ask for gas money or have them do the driving.

This is the way I see it too. I've only found and returned 1 (rest had no name no #) The one I returned required me to ship it to the guy halfway across PA. No big deal the postage was like $3. I didn't expect anything in return. Then a few days later a 2010 ice bowl stamped dx roc showed up in the mail and I was pumped.

I think that's the right way to handle it right there. So if I lose any plastic I'm always willing to either give it to the person who found it or give them something for their trouble if they have to drive to meet me or mail the disc to me or something.

i say agree to pay and meet him, then just take the disc and dont pay, whats he gonna do? he cant really call the police.

Be careful pulling a stunt like this. The guy who found your disc might be bigger than you and have friends with him.