• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Church DG Courses on the rise - Any takers?

milow369

Birdie Member
I've noticed lots of church courses, or courses on church property popping up. Most of these are paid for by church members and much of the work to put these courses up is done by volunteers from these churches - usually with some help from local, unaffiliated DG clubs . I suppose the rationale is to provide a place to youth where they can have good clean fun, get exercise, etc. I also suppose, from the Church's perspective, that there's an outside chance of growing the flock.

I'm wondering if there are any people out there that weren't previously church-goers but after playing regularly at a neighborhood church course(s) have decided to give up their Sunday AM round for a little of the Lord's word? Or even decided to change their lifestyle as a result.

Anyone? Just curious.

There's been a recent uptick in the number of Houston courses over the last year or so, mostly due to new church courses.

quite the opposite for me. Since joining my local club I have been going to the weekly doubles on Sunday mornings now that it gets dark early instead of going to church with my wife. It's not a church course and it's not like I have changed my lifestyle at all. Plus, I like to think of it as experiencing God creation. :rolleyes:

It doesn't make me go more, but it makes me grateful that the Houston churches with a lot of land are making excellent use of it. One problem though is most a nine holes and fairly mediocre. However a mediocre course is always better than no course.

There are only two courses within the Portland city limits; one is at a church. Interestingly, it's one of the few anywhere in the metro area that allows beer. (City parks, in any city, generally ban alcohol.)

We are putting one in on our church grounds, but not to try to grow the church!
Our desire is to be good stewards of all this land that we have, and it hardly gets used at all. We hope that opening a DG course just gets people using the land!

(plus, this preacher will get to go out and practice any time I want!)

There are only two courses within the Portland city limits; one is at a church. Interestingly, it's one of the few anywhere in the metro area that allows beer. (City parks, in any city, generally ban alcohol.)

I'd feel weird drinking beer on a Church course...a jug of wine on the other hand...

Most church courses I've seen aren't all that great in terms of challenge or amenities. Some churches though do have retreat camps tucked away in the boonies with some better courses.

Something for youth/families to do is exactly what these courses are built for. If they help get some people introduced to the game, and bring a more diverse group of players to our public courses who can do without some of the seedier aspects of our sport, they're doing a valuable service for the game.

My brother's working with a church to put in a course that could be a pretty good 9-holer, due to tremendous elevation and a beautiful hardwood forest.

I doubt any church expects someone to be converted just by playing disc golf. It's never that easy. Many see part of their ministry as doing good works in the community, and this is one way they can use available land.

It can also provide healthy and wholesome activity for church families.

I'd feel weird drinking beer on a Church course...a jug of wine on the other hand...

I am Catholic, Irish and German. Its good to pay respect to God and my ancestors all at the same time.

I played a lot at a church course I lived by last year. It was mostly a pitch n putt course, but was only a mile from me, so I could leave my house, play 36 holes, get home, all in less than an hour. The church didn't put it in to convert anyone, they were looking for a cool activity for their youth groups and families, and thought it would be a great way to have people doing positive things on their property rather than it being a place for random people to hang out in the corner of the parking lot as it was before the course.

Hey guys and gals,
I'm a student pastor at our church and love DG. we are about to put in a championship course on 75 acres we just bought. I can tell you why we are doing it. It gets people on our property that might not be there otherwise and we want show God's love to those people. We want to earn the right to minister to people who play DG. We are planning on hosting tourney's and giving away great player packs, amazing prizes, and hosting a free breakfast, lunch, and making drinks (water, powerade, etc) available every couple of holes for free. This is in the Memphis, Tn area and should be done in the next year. Hope to see you soon.

I love all of the church courses, the more the merrier I say! It seems like every person I have met who is a member of the church and plays disc golf are some of the nicest and most welcoming people I have ever met, and if you build a course on church land I will be out there. I probably am not going to become a member of their church but it makes me respect them for serving the community even more then they already do, keep put em in!

so if an atheist plays on a church DG course, will they lose more discs and knock more trees than a churchgoer? :p

There are 4 courses here in town, the church course is the most well kept, and the least frustrating. It's not a huge challenge, but it's nice to get out in a park where people are friendly and play a round

Latest posts