• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cliffs (Uphill)

John Rock

Double Eagle Member
A lot of golfers have done it: You get to a downhill hole and you empty your bag trying to see just how far you can get one to go. Most of us have a story about hucking a disc off a huge cliff. What I want to hear is the opposite: What is the biggest cliff you've had to throw up or over? The steepest uphill hole you've ever played?

#6 @ Slippery Rock

5f7f4411.jpg

#3 at Finnon Reservoir in Placerville CA. Its about 400' up a fire break, Then when you think your at the top you get to the basket which is on top of a mound of dirt 20' high thats shaped like a volcano.

there are a few at Holler in the Hills that are treacherous uphill treks

There's at least one hole at the Crowley, TX course where you have to huck it up at a pretty steep degree.

Quick rehash of the OP for all you non-readers :p

A lot of golfers have done it: You get to a downhill hole and you empty your bag trying to see just how far you can get one to go. Most of us have a story about hucking a disc off a huge cliff. What I want to hear is the opposite: What is the biggest cliff you've had to throw up or over? The steepest uphill hole you've ever played?

Sugaree has a basket about 15' away from a 35' vertical cliff. Naturally, my overconfident putt sailed right over the edge.

Imagine standing 1' from the base of a 3 or 4 story building, trying to put a disc on the roof.

Gran Canyon had a green on a ledge, defined by a 20-25' vertical cliff which you approached along the canyon bottom and had to toss up to. (It was a wide ledge, maybe 25' x 40' (?), with the cliff continuining up behind it another dozen feet or so).

Sugaree has a basket about 15' away from a 35' vertical cliff. Naturally, my overconfident putt sailed right over the edge.

Imagine standing 1' from the base of a 3 or 4 story building, trying to put a disc on the roof.

Gran Canyon had a green on a ledge, defined by a 20-25' vertical cliff which you approached along the canyon bottom and had to toss up to. (It was a wide ledge, maybe 25' x 40' (?), with the cliff continuining up behind it another dozen feet or so).

This is what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about a hole for a new design I'm working on where the player tees at the base of a steep/vertical to overhanging cliff and throws to the top. Probably 40-50 feet up then back away from the cliff at least 40 feet. Then the player has to walk around to a trail that leads up to the top. The basket would be out-of-sight from the tee. Any one interested?

250' straight down at Toney's Mountain Golf. You do not want to run up on this tee or you risk falling off the cliff to your death. A narrow gap cut through the trees, and a hike down a fire road to get to the bottom. One pin position has you shooting back up the hill to the right, and the other is just a bit forward and left.

Hole #27 at warriors path state park. The picture on the page has it as hole #24 because there are holes now that weren't there when the picture was taken.

This is what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about a hole for a new design I'm working on where the player tees at the base of a steep/vertical to overhanging cliff and throws to the top. Probably 40-50 feet up then back away from the cliff at least 40 feet. Then the player has to walk around to a trail that leads up to the top. The basket would be out-of-sight from the tee. Any one interested?

When you say "thinking about...", do you mean you're contemplating installing a hole like this? Or just thinking in hypotheticals?

A hole that's very vertical off the tee is teetering between "challenging" and "not all that much fun". A cliff further down the fairway is much more interesting, as there's a big reward difference between hitting the top, and almost hitting the top.

Of course, anything involving cliffs has a danger factor, too, if discs land near the edge, or stick to the side of the cliff somehow.

Gran Canyon also had a "cross canyon" shot, from one clifftop to another. If you screwed it up and landed in the bottom, you had about a 40' vertical cliff to throw back up.

#26 at Delaveaga is pretty steep and hard to get drives to stick. I think Iron Hill is supposed to have som brutal ones.

Latest posts