• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Just a quick question for all the die hard comet throwers. Do you guys keep something like a fresh Z Comet for more stable comet shots, do you just pair it with another more stable mid mold, or both? If both would you say your more stable Comet get used the least? On average, how long do your Zs stay fresh?

I recieved a max weight Z Comet from a friend that I wanted to make more comfy in the hand. I'm thinking about removing some of the excess flashing, but I'm unsure if I want to potentially sacrafice the more stable flight by doing so. Thanks.

My Z Comet (174g) has been a complete workhorse for a couple years now. Been smashing it into trees since I got it and it has not changed in flight at all. I love how it doesn't shoot off when it hits a tree....it always just settles nearby. I keep a 178g ESP Comet in the bag for more stable Comet shots. The ESP doesn't have the large dome that my Z has and it does produce a more stable flight. This pairing has really worked out well for me and I suggest a heavy ESP to go with your Z.

Just get one. You'll either love it or hate it. For most it seems there is no in between.For me the cryztal is a great mix of stability and glide.

1. Do you guys keep something like a fresh Z Comet for more stable comet shots?
2. would you say your more stable Comet get used the least?
3. On average, how long do your Zs stay fresh?

1. Yes, I would keep a fresh Z for any shot that need something stable to very slightly over stable. I would also carry a true over stable mid range disc such as a fresh KC Pro Roc, Hornet, Drone, Gator, whatever. A fresh Z Comet will not replace these discs. Actually, depending on the specific disc, a Comet *might* be able to replace a fresh KC Pro Roc

2. Absolutely… But only because I play mostly wooded courses. If I play open courses then it is used a lot more. My beat ESPs and X Comets rarely ever get used in the open

3. I don't have a good answer; a long time. I don't have a Z that is actually broken in, that's how little I use it in the woods. The open courses I play won't break in a disc. Best guess? At least a full season. For me, years.

Disclaimer… I am very much a finesse player. I do not throw hard but I can throw far. My style is very similar to Michael Johansen except he can throw further is a much better player!

Last edited:
I think of it the other way around -- I'm a Roc thrower. But I carry a Comet (Ti) to complement my Rocs for long turnovers, glidey lasers that finish dead straight, and carving up the woods.

1. Do you guys keep something like a fresh Z Comet for more stable comet shots, do you just pair it with another more stable mid mold, or both?

2. If both would you say your more stable Comet get used the least?

3. On average, how long do your Zs stay fresh?
1. Both. Comets need some height so I keep a couple Q Sentinels that can run a low line. If I have room up high I'll stick with a heavy, fresh Comet.

2. 100%. I can usually just put some hyzer on a Z Comet and not worry about it. Between that and the Sentinel shots, the heavy Z sits in the bag a lot.

3. When did the Z get reissued? Winter of '08-'09? I bought two when they came back out; the heavys were gone so I got a green 173 and a red 171. The red one is still in a stack waiting for it's turn in the bag. The green 173 is still the go-to. It's just now getting a little flippy on me; I've been putting a lot of hyzer on it the last few weeks but it's been really windy as well so it might just be the usual user error. So...6-7 years, give or take?

Stopped by Delta Disc Golf today since I was nearby.
I couldn't leave without this domey little sweetheart. She's now my inspiration for physical therapy. I will throw her next year when I get this shoulder rebuilt.

Attachments

• 20151017_220015.jpg
    20151017_220015.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 45
Stopped by Delta Disc Golf today since I was nearby.
I couldn't leave without this domey little sweetheart. She's now my inspiration for physical therapy. I will throw her next year when I get this shoulder rebuilt.

Beautiful. :thmbup:

You know, I never thought about it like that but I think you're onto something. Comets are one of those discs that forces you to throw smoothly so they are good discs for people with injuries or people who are fragile for some reason

Good thinking! And good luck…

Thanks. It was an X Comet in my hand when I dislocated my shoulder again this time, so I figure it's fitting that I throw Comets again when I am rehabbing from this surgery now.
Well, that's the hope anyway.

Just get one. You'll either love it or hate it. For most it seems there is no in between.For me the cryztal is a great mix of stability and glide.

I already got one, thanks.

Thanks for the info everyone else. I've studied up on the mold a lot , but I'm afraid I have much less field experience with it than I'd like. Your input is invaluable.

1. Both. Comets need some height so I keep a couple Q Sentinels that can run a low line. If I have room up high I'll stick with a heavy, fresh Comet.

2. 100%. I can usually just put some hyzer on a Z Comet and not worry about it. Between that and the Sentinel shots, the heavy Z sits in the bag a lot.

3. When did the Z get reissued? Winter of '08-'09? I bought two when they came back out; the heavys were gone so I got a green 173 and a red 171. The red one is still in a stack waiting for it's turn in the bag. The green 173 is still the go-to. It's just now getting a little flippy on me; I've been putting a lot of hyzer on it the last few weeks but it's been really windy as well so it might just be the usual user error. So...6-7 years, give or take?

I was hoping to rile up a 3P response :) . Are you saying Zs typically have the most stability of the Comet molds?

I don't have stacks of Comets to compare but, my Big-Z is the most stable one I own, it's 177gr and domey.

So does Big Z have a little more stability out of the box? Is it a touch more overstable than Z or is it just the right amount?

So does Big Z have a little more stability out of the box? Is it a touch more overstable than Z or is it just the right amount?

Read through the thread, there is a lot of good information in it. Some have had flat topped Big-z's that were flippy. Going to depend on the PLH and the dome.

If it's your first Comet, buy an "X" to start, they are pretty sweet.

Read through the thread, there is a lot of good information in it. Some have had flat topped Big-z's that were flippy. Going to depend on the PLH and the dome.

If it's your first Comet, buy an "X" to start, they are pretty sweet.

I've got a couple in Z, but I think X is probably what I am looking for. Beat in nice and have some turn. Chained out with my Z one earlier this year. Great disc, and I probably should have used the search function.

I think of it the other way around -- I'm a Roc thrower. But I carry a Comet (Ti) to complement my Rocs for long turnovers, glidey lasers that finish dead straight, and carving up the woods.

I do this. Z Wasp for OS Roc shots, a couple KC and DX Ranchos for the heart of the mid lineup and then an X Comet for the long turnovers and tailwind shots that a beat Roc can't quite make.

OK, so... that pink disc? It's one of these:

picture.php

Not Big Z w/retro stamp. Not Elite Z. Not Elite X. Not Pro D. Your correct answer is Tournament Pro; the stamp wasn't retro when they made that disc. It's going to date from someplace between 1995 and 2001.

Sweet! Thanks for the info guys. I had a feeling... it just has that "old plastic" kinda waxy weird feeling and since I still own several original Sanny discs that are getting on 20 yrs old, I know what that feels like in your hand. It definitely had "that feeling" when I picked it up.

It's on the wall. I can't bring myself to throw it!

Just a quick question for all the die hard comet throwers. Do you guys keep something like a fresh Z Comet for more stable comet shots, do you just pair it with another more stable mid mold, or both? If both would you say your more stable Comet get used the least? On average, how long do your Zs stay fresh?

I pair mine with Rocs. I've tried going without a slightly more overstable compliment but I like throwing mids off the tee too much to not have a bit more versatility.

The z comet I carry is still pretty straight stable and I've had it in my bag for 6 or so years. It's my most frequently thrown disc (outside of putters)

Here's my Mids and why
Z comet- (used) turnover/hyzer flip
Z comet- (fresh) straight, flare hyzers, long annys
Z Buzzz- (used) straight with low ceiling or low annys
Z wasp- (used) annys and straight to slight fade
Z wasp- (fresh) hyzers, forced s curves
Lucid verdict- FH only

For reference, I get the wasps to 300-315' consistently on big hyzers and comets to 325-350' on open straight floaty shots, although I never really use the comet for open shots, mainly tunnels and accurate 250-300' shots.