• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Scoot_er

* Ace Member *
anyone else on here keep the Comet in the bag as a staple? Over at DGR there are like 50 pages devoted to the disc with plenty of loyals and I want to see if we can get some new converts.

I 1st had experience with this "Vomit" when I was 12 watching a local Discraft Pro Jim Davidson throwing a Ron Russel Comet on pretty much every drive under 330ft with a very smooth flight and copious amount of glide. At the time I was an avid Innova player being from TX and being new to the sport (hadn't realized I was a zombie yet) so my dad I I proceeded to heckle him and his "Discrap Vomit".

It wasn't until a little over 2 years ago when I began throwing all Discraft that I finally committed to trying the disc out to see what it could do. Anyway i put in a orange X in the bag an since then have had more aces than with any other disc and that was just in the 1st year. I also had one of my longest throws at the time (on accident) when I used it on a 370ft anhyzer hole with a big tailwind, threw it high, and it flew like a kite across a creek that should never come into play 150ft past the basket.

Anyway that disc is the only Comet I have had in the bag and now it is paper plate flippy but just as useful as ever considering I do not have a natural RHFH and a RHBh toss with my Comet will pretty much mimic the late right turn.

I'm pretty sure its time to try a new one out and hoping maybe a few other will give this disc a try since I can almost promise that if you have solid form you will love this disc and if your form is off it will help you fix it.

It's a nice disc but it didn't click with me, I had an X as well. My little hands aren't big fans of beads and large diameter mids for some reason.

I don't throw a Comet for one reason only - The ESP Buzzz.
The Z Buzzz is "perfectly stable". The ESP Buzzz is definitely less stable.

It seems to carry a very similar line to the Comet.

I have been brain washed into believing you need to reduce your molds. So would you agree that swapping the ESP Buzzz for the Comet would be a bad move? When I see guys that carry both I question the overlap a bit.

Just curious, do you carry a Buzzz?

Last edited:
Got a 168 z in a misprint package. I was amazed at the glide but I think it was too light. I was thinking of a nebula comet mix come spring.
Plastic recommendation? I heard x plastic in general is going oop but I can still get plenty. I aslo have a couple of never thrown tourney pros. How's the z compare?

Dave McCormack suggested the Comet to me. He was a big Discraft pusher before he started GDS and you used to see a lot of Discraft in St. Louis because of him. I couldn't really get a handle on the Comet at the time, but I went back to it when the Ontario Roc went away in '97. It took some adjustment because you really have to be smooth with it, but I converted to Comets and threw them as my only mid range for several years.

When I moved to the Chicago area in 2000 I ended up getting tired of throwing Comets in the wind. I played a lot at Fairfield with the wide open holes and all I knew to do into the wind was throw harder, which actually made the Comet flip worse. I converted to the Rancho Roc (the disc that made me switch to Comets in the first place) because I could torque monkey it into the wind and get away with it.

Last year I had a bad case of OAT and it was killing my putter shots. I started messing around with the Comet because I knew you had to throw it smoothly to keep it from flipping. I figured it was a good "OAT detector" so it would be a good disc to work with. I ended up swapping the Rocs for Comets in the fall expecting to go back to Rocs in the spring, but I had a lot of success with the Comet and it stayed in the bag this season. Right now I have a combination of 170ish g Z Comets and 177ish g X Comets that cover the majority of my mid range shots (I keep a Sentinel for low-line hyzer shots.) Throwing them makes me pay more attention to my form, which for me is a good thing.

I don't throw a Comet for one reason only - The ESP Buzzz.
The Z Buzzz is "perfectly stable". The ESP Buzzz is definitely less stable.

It seems to carry a very similar line to the Comet.

I have been brain washed into believing you need to reduce your molds. So would you agree that swapping the ESP Buzzz for the Comet would be a bad move? When I see guys that carry both I question the overlap a bit.

Just curious, do you carry a Buzzz?

I carry a Z Drone, Z Wasp, Halloween Buzz, Storm, and Comet so I would have to say my mids are anything but minimalist. My Buzzz is slightly overstable but it is still what I use for soft turnovers along with the Storm. The Comet is more of a Hyzerflip to Anhyzer now.

I carry a Z Drone, Z Wasp, Halloween Buzz, Storm, and Comet so I would have to say my mids are anything but minimalist. My Buzzz is slightly overstable but it is still what I use for soft turnovers along with the Storm. The Comet is more of a Hyzerflip to Anhyzer now.

Groovy. Thanx!

I got a very heavy Comet this past year in a misprint deal. Instant love. But towards the end of the fall I developed some bad OAT habits and the Comet hates OAT. Unfortunately I had to take it out of the bag because I was getting very frustrated. Come spring I will get more practice in and I plan on working with that Comet to greatly reduce if not eliminate my technique flaws. Hopefully the Comet can find it's way back into the bag. But since I've gotten and Impact I'm not so sure I'll need that Comet any more.

It's a nice disc but it didn't click with me, I had an X as well. My little hands aren't big fans of beads and large diameter mids for some reason.

I dont have small hands, but I am not a big fan of big beads. Only reason I havent messed with a Comet yet.

Used to love my comet when i was a beginner. got a 178 Z. but now i can't get to to hold any line whatsoever. too flippy. if i drive with it it anhyzers itself straight into the ground about 100 feet away! too much high speed turn for me.

I used to be a big Comet fan, but when I got better distance, I couldn't throw it without flipping it.
I have gone to throwing Rocs for their stability, and decreasing the molds. I use a Rancho, San Marino and Ontario for most of my mid-range throws.
After reading this thread, I probably need to take out that Comet and see if it's worth revisiting

I wanted to like the Comet because it seemed like a great disc for me on paper...I use a light touch and so on. But I couldn't get used to it (I have a Z). It feels like a big floppy domey piece of crap to me. Every once in awhile I pull it out and try it again. So I stick with my Buzzz and Meteor.

I love me some comet. Right now I've got a TP and an X comet in the bag to compliment my rocs and I've been throwing the comet more than the rocs lately.

Frank, what weights? I've only my tp's are heavy. Are you using a light x to compliment? What's the difference in their roles?

I did watch a DGM episode last night that had Michael Johanson (not sure on spelling) doing some pretty cool **** with a Comet. Made me wonder if I should pull it out of the mothballs again. I was pretty impressed that that guy did so well and seemed to throw 3-4 discs for the vast majority of his shots.

I wanted to like the Comet because it seemed like a great disc for me on paper...I use a light touch and so on. But I couldn't get used to it (I have a Z). It feels like a big floppy domey piece of crap to me.

Agreed. Thought the Comet would be great, but it is too flippy for me. I prefer the Buzzz.

^Same here, I was kinda glad I didnt like it just cause it was so oversized it was a pain to take it in/out of my bag.

Used to love my comet when i was a beginner. got a 178 Z. but now i can't get to to hold any line whatsoever. too flippy. if i drive with it it anhyzers itself straight into the ground about 100 feet away! too much high speed turn for me.

Sounds like its you more than the disc... go out and use either a putter or Comet only to get your form back in check. I know plenty of power throwers who use this disc without any problems.

Latest posts