• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Part of making this thread was so I could see how many people don't like it because it is too flippy............because those guys would benefit the most from learning the disc.

Anyway I am not a big fan of the Z since some were a little soft.....I have seen some blue ones that were nice and stiff and I will try to get some more in my next order and see if it makes it into the bag.

I can see someone not liking the plastic but if it is too flippy for you its probably in your best interest to find a way to throw it straight as it will eventually add distance to pretty much every throw and even more importantly give you a smoother release in general.

I did watch a DGM episode last night that had Michael Johanson (not sure on spelling) doing some pretty cool **** with a Comet. Made me wonder if I should pull it out of the mothballs again. I was pretty impressed that that guy did so well and seemed to throw 3-4 discs for the vast majority of his shots.

Yeah he was actually one guy i had in mind who rocks this disc and he also came over to Discraft from another company and fell in love with the disc. He is also from NC where a Comet would see more use than most other areas due to the wooded fairways.

Also Ron Russel won the world championships in 99' with a Cyclone, Comet, and Magnet as his only discs.

Got my first tourney ace with a Z-Comet on #6 at MacGregor Park. :D

Anyway I am not a big fan of the Z since some were a little soft.....I have seen some blue ones that were nice and stiff and I will try to get some more in my next order and see if it makes it into the bag.

The Yellow ones I just got seem pretty stiff, but I guess it's what you're used to.

I can see someone not liking the plastic but if it is too flippy for you its probably in your best interest to find a way to throw it straight as it will eventually add distance to pretty much every throw and even more importantly give you a smoother release in general.
learnalot.gif

That right there is the main reason I forced myself to start throwing one.

comet

I like the comet for what used to be my short RHFH shot. It turns faster than alot of my putters so it has its uses. I think if your throwing it and it finds the ground too fast you should try hyzer flipping it. Doing so it will give you a dead straight line out to 100 than start to turn right. I like to do this with alot of putters also it all depends on what my arm is doing and my confidence not the actual disc limitations

Part of making this thread was so I could see how many people don't like it because it is too flippy............because those guys would benefit the most from learning the disc.
Exactly.

The Comet has a bad rap as a turnover disc. You CAN turn it over, but you can also throw a big sweeping hyzer with one as well and pretty much anything in-between. It's pretty much neutral stable, you can do just about anything you want with it. If you can't get it to do anything but flip it's the archer, not the arrow.

Anything without such a bead that would acomplish this?

Beads = Stabilizers which is pretty much why most of the best discs have beads. The bead prevents the disc from flipping early and allows a more direct flight pattern.

Anyway the bead is the reason a Teebird is still a great wind disc even though it isn't "Overstable" and will outperform Destroyers and even most Xcals in consistency in the wind.

List of great beaded discs: Teebird, Roc, Gazelle, Viper, Firebird, Eagle, X2, Cyclone, X-clone, Talon, Comet, MRV, MRX, and Wasp.

Actually I may need to start another thread asking for the best non-beaded discs since retty much every staple disc has a bead.

Beads = Stabilizers which is pretty much why most of the best discs have beads. The bead prevents the disc from flipping early and allows a more direct flight pattern.

Anyway the bead is the reason a Teebird is still a great wind disc even though it isn't "Overstable" and will outperform Destroyers and even most Xcals in consistency in the wind.

List of great beaded discs: Teebird, Roc, Gazelle, Viper, Firebird, Eagle, X2, Cyclone, X-clone, Talon, Comet, MRV, MRX, and Wasp.

Actually I may need to start another thread asking for the best non-beaded discs since retty much every staple disc has a bead.

Well, when you say Teebird bead, I like the Teebird and dont notice the bead as much. Same for Firebird.

Maybe its not a bead in general but more so on the mids and shorter discs I am not a fan of.

the Teebird seems to have more of a lip than an actual round bead (like the Roc or Comet). The bead seems to be a factor in stability, but not the end all, be all. Comet has a bead and is understable.

Beadless discs that are overstable: Drone, Gator, Whippet, Predator all come to mind. And I know that's not all of them.

Blaine Kinkle is another Comet thrower who has a pretty big arm, but pushes a comet out way over 300'+ on throws. I put a LE comet in my bag about 4 months ago and have finally gotten rid of all my rocks. Drone-Buzzz-Comet. Best all coverage combo for mids. That's right i said it. You can still find LE (ESP) comets floating around, but I have tapped out most of Houston's supply. I also have an older sparkle stamp Z Comet, but it's not the same feel as my ESP's, so it's stayed at the house.

I will have to revisit my Comet after all this talk about them. I have been pretty much just playing with a putter and my Buzz up here in MI with all the snow. Seem to be easier to find because they don't bury themselves in the snow so much.

Frank, what weights? I've only my tp's are heavy. Are you using a light x to compliment? What's the difference in their roles?

The TP is 179 and and X is 169. I use the TP for straight with a hyzer finish shot or pure hyzer shots. The X comet is good for straight shots with no fade or anhyzer shots. They compliment each other quite well. I've got a few TP comet backups but when they run out I'll probably just use a heavy ESP or Z comet to compliment the X.

i threw an entire round today using only comets (177 elite z, 178 elite x), was able to push them out over 300 feet easily, got them to hold hyzers and anhyzers, and fell in love with them. Plus this thread needed a bump...

This thread brings a tear to my eye in the remembrance of my departed Comet which met its maker when slamming into a tree this winter. I first met him when swimming in the swamp at Ox Bow and saved him from the muck. He was an old oop plastic that held up awesome. Now I don't know what type plastic to get and replace him. Any insight? His remains still hang from a tree at Moser's #4 long tee. If you want to pay your respects.

Latest posts