• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I lost my seasoned KC Pro Roc for dead straight shots. Right now I have fresh 175 KC Pro Roc and a really seasoned 171 X Comet in the bag. Is there a comet I can get that would bridge the gap between these two? Weight and plastic suggestions welcomed. I plan to start beating in a DX Roc when it arrives in the mail.

Last edited:
I lost my seasoned KC Pro Roc for dead straight shots. Right now I have fresh 175 KC Pro Roc and a really seasoned 171 X Comet in the bag. Is there a comet I can get that would bridge the gap between these two? Weight and plastic suggestions welcomed. I plan to start beating in a DX Roc when it arrives in the mail.

A "Z", ESP or big-Z will all work. For what you're looking for, just make sure it's not a flat one. If you like the "X", you could just get a max weight new one.

You could call the online shop and ask about flat vs domey Comets they have in stock.

The Z's I've seen on the shelf haven't been too domey. These are the regular circle stamped Z's though.

I've never emailed DGC, but have called them a few times. They're pretty good at answering questions. Check out Infinite Discs...you can see the exact disc you're getting. And there's always eBay, where often the description will state flat or domey.

Don't know about ESP's. Hardly ever see them at stores here. Always seems to be Z's, and maybe a few X's. ESP would probably have better glide and less stability than Z. I've only thrown Z and X, btw. X's are domey.

I have two ESP's, one flat and one domey and love them both. The flat one is a great finesse discs and is my favorite forehand approach disc, goes where ever I point it. The domey one does just what domey Comets are supposed to do.

I'm bagging a slightly pearly big-z Comet with the meatball stamp. It's pretty flat, the shoulder rises up quite a bit tho, but it's flat after that. I'd say about 50% of the disc is flat. It flies understable for me, I'm definitely getting some turn and a tiny bit of fade back when I throw it fast but clean. When I'm throwing it with a tiny bit of oat it does of course turn and burn hard. It's awesome for field work and in the woods. FWIW I got a noodle arm, this big-z Comet would probably be pretty understable for a big arm

A word on the Ledgestone Ti. I've been playing around with mine. It's max weight. I love how it feels and flies, but it actually has lots of overlap with my more used Buzzz. In other words, not as much turn as my Z and ESP. Still seems to be good in the glide department. I imagine it would be very big-arm-friendly, and probably will wear in nicely so that turnovers become more feasible for my middle-of-the-road power.

Big Z in my experience are some of the flatter comets. I actually like them for shots I used to throw an X comet for. ESP or regular Z are a better bet if you are looking for a straight comet you don't have to finesse as much.

I have a max weight ESP and a 177g Ti Comet and I love both of them, even if the max weight is a flat-top.
I have found a 164g Z Comet and I am wondering how it should fly compared to the my other 2.

I am looking for a disc that I can throw flat and it flip into a gentle turn to the finish. I figure it is this or a similar weight Opto Fuse.

As for my power, I throw my ESP Comet a bit over 300' but my max distance with a driver is about 360'. I have good form but not a lot of power.

Thanks

I use a 166 g Z as a flip mid; thrown flat it will turn and not come back. It's a bit touchier in that it will turn and burn easier than a heavier Comet, so I have to pay attention to what I'm doing and make sure my form is smooth before I throw it.

Thanks Three Putt. I think I will pull the trigger on that and also get a 173g Z for some extra distance throws.

Oh, and one correction to my above post, my form is smooth; I am not so sure about good. Better than most rec players at least.

Does anybody have any info on this disc? I know that it is one of the old Elite X stamps. I have one that I bought a few years ago right before the stamp was changed to the boring one that currently graces the X Comet. I saw this one in what definitely seems to be older Elite Z plastic for a reasonable price and had to pick it up. Any ideas if this was a pretty common stamp in this plastic or when they might have been run? This and the Saturn comet are two of my favorite disc golf stamps of all time.

Attachments

• IMG_20161109_195323080[1].jpg
    IMG_20161109_195323080[1].jpg
    106 KB · Views: 84
I don't remember that being a common stamp at all, at least not since 2004. I have several just because I thought they looked different. They act just how you would expect a Z Comet to act.
Mine are yellow, too. I wonder if they were all yellow?

Latest posts