• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

So,after being recommended the comet by numerous people I finally added one to my MST cart along with some other midranges I want to test out. As always I gravitated towards the most expensive version. MJ esp glo. After browsing this thread a bit it seems like that may not be the best option for a first time comet? They have some pretty sweet looking regular swirl esp comets and some nice X plastic comets as well.

I haven't thrown those MJ's. But I don't think you'll go wrong, fresh Comets seem to be from -1/0 to 0/1 in stability from what I've seen. X Comets can start out pretty stable and wear in slow, don't be afraid of that plastic it's good. And a Comet with turn can be even longer and get you great flights once you trust it.

If you like throwing putters you'll enjoy the Comet, on the same throw it will get you much more distance and just as straight.

Which is a long way to say I don't really think the plastic is a huge dealio with Comets. Whatever plastic you tend to like to throw should be fine.

absolutely. if one is discless borrowing discs, comet a supreme 'naked' thrower. plus the classic true manta of workable glider wide diameter approach-driver og disc. cheap as chips to get 2, 3 or more to work it

Last edited:
One of the cool things about Comets is that Comets fly like Comets. We talk about degrees of stability in Comets because we notice subtle differences,
Which is a long way to say I don't really think the plastic is a huge dealio with Comets. Whatever plastic you tend to like to throw should be fine.

You have a valid point. Comets fly like Comets...except for a beat in Glo Swirl MJ. It beats in more stable and hurts my head trying to figure out why.

Yeah, just get what feels the best.

***Shocker***
ThreePutt is right.
I own a ridiculous amount of Comets. The dome determines the stability more than the plastic. IMO, the only thing that can beat a domey Comet is a beat-in domey Comet. If you spend the time breaking it in the honest way (no asphalt slides or intentional tree strikes) then predicting the flight path needed for a tricky wooded hole will be second nature to you. Several people have called them cheater discs. Those people are usually losing by a few strokes LOL!

Dr. Marm's prescription:
Buy a domey ASAP and begin breaking 'er in!

If you aren't throwing your midranges further than 225' or so then a flatter or less-domey Comet might be a better fit.

I own a ridiculous amount of Comets. The dome determines the stability more than the plastic. IMO, the only thing that can beat a domey Comet is a beat-in domey Comet. If you spend the time breaking it in the honest way (no asphalt slides or intentional tree strikes) then predicting the flight path needed for a tricky wooded hole will be second nature to you. Several people have called them cheater discs. Those people are usually losing by a few strokes LOL!
I remember I quit throwing Comets in the '00's. I got stuck up in the Chicago 'burbs throwing on wide-open windy courses and the Roc was my mid. I had pretty much forgotten all about Comets when I started reading DGR and you and SkaBob started talking up Comets. Mine had been on the shelf for a good six or seven years by then, but you got me to break them back out. My sincere gratitude, sir.

I've got a Z that's been in and out of the bag since 2013 and it has a good amount of dome and I'll echo that the seasoned, domey ones are just the best fliers.

Picked up a domey x comet 176g today. Not a huge fan of the plastic but for $8 I couldn't pass it up. I threw it at the field a bit tonight and didn't notice anything too magical or unique yet. It had some pretty bad flashing and I knocked that down tonight so we will see how that effects the flight. Probably going to pick up another in different plastic and this one will be a hazard/field disc.

Picked up a domey x comet 176g today. Not a huge fan of the plastic but for $8 I couldn't pass it up. I threw it at the field a bit tonight and didn't notice anything too magical or unique yet. It had some pretty bad flashing and I knocked that down tonight so we will see how that effects the flight. Probably going to pick up another in different plastic and this one will be a hazard/field disc.

Let it beat in and scuff up a bit...I didn't like fresh X plastic feel either, kind of "thuddy" in sound or something. But it gets a bit grippier and like other discs in feel.

If it seems pretty straight/normal, then if you add a Comet with a bit less shoulder/dome you should have a turnover one to pair it with. And eventually the X will hold a slow turnover too, but I like the dead straight flight once I trusted it.

Downhill shots and tailwinds are where the magic comes in with a straight Comet for me. With the turnover ones, they are really fun to watch fly all the time I think.

...kind of "thuddy" in sound or something. ....

Immediately niced for thuddy sounds. Couldn't put my finger on why I didn't like X comets at first, but they do seem to improve with age.

I lost my most worn X comet the other day, pretty bummed have to say. They are very straight out of the box, it's almost too bad that even the most stable comets I've found tend to be simply very, very "stable" in the sense that they go straight as all heck. Forces me to bookend with an OS mold.

Generally when I lose a seasoned disc it turns me off of the mold for a while, which it has done in this case. Dejected, I took a stack of US mids out to the field the other day to see which one could best do an impression of beat-in comet or absolutely thrashed rancho roc...

Mirage, Tursas, and Vertex are all as close as it gets off the shelf, I think. Mirage is a little shorter, but still very, very long for a "putter"... it's clearly a mini mid. I'd probably bag this and call it good if I wasn't bagging a Spin for turnover approaches.

Tursas is a super long mid. The thing flies fast and glidey without being one of those obnoxious "slow driver" style molds like an archer or the like, which basically looks like a squashed leopard or sting. Turns over from flat and consistently shows fade... actually very un-comet like, as it requires a good 80%+ to get that true left-to-right flight path. The problem with this is that I'm not going to be throwing this shot in a field typically, but rather want something I can rely on to hyzer flip around trees etc. with finesse.

The Vertex is what I've landed on at this point - not as long as the Tursas but that's not saying much. Seems almost like a longer Spin or Magic, and if you check out the profile you'll see there's a good reason for this - basically a stretched version of the Magic. What I am looking for is something without massive glide and really about a 4-speed, as I need HST to activate on a more finessed toss for hyzer flips in the woods as I mentioned. The faster, more speed sensitive stuff A. is likely to get me in trouble on an errant throw, B. overlaps with slow US fairways and C. flies too much like 5/5/0/2 on a powered down shot. On the other hand, I need fast enough for there to be separation between this slot and the Spin as mentioned... I will bag the Spin for the foreseeable future until a throwing Dagger beats in sufficiently to cover that truly flippy-to-neutral upshot slot.

Anyway, that's the deal. I still own a fresh X comet which I may continue to bag in a wasp/Zcomet/Xcomet/vertex configuration, or I might just skip the X comet and call it good, even with 3-4 mid molds (if I decide to toss in a mortar or justice or something) as a filthy mold maximalist.

Post edit window, worth mentioning that all of the above are around 175g, which is what I shoot for when in doubt. People seem to like a lighter weight Tursas for what I'm looking for... would not mind trying one, but Westside plastic seems tougher to track down in the 160s. Also, lower weight would probably not help the controllability aspect.

^Really good post, your experience with the X Comet and also the Tursas is exactly what I've seen. Tursas handled more power than I expected to get that turnover, and did have that fade/flex back more than expected, really nice shot in the open but I agree it would be a hyzer flip to straight if powered down rather than always turn.

That profile of the Vertex does look so much like a Magic. I'll have to give one a throw if I ever see somebody bag it, looks fun especially with how I find slower gyro molds really handle power well.

Hey totally support the Vertex love it is a longer Spin / magic.. I find it flies like a better Meteor for me, turns a little later than the Spin but same shot just longer. I get sweet turnovers and straight hyzer flips.

If your Tursas is fresh if you tune / file off the bottom flashing it will turn much easier especially a TP one. Flies like a broken in ESP Comet on the front end fades like a fresh Z Comet. I love it but bag a glow Z Comet and N Tangent... but any one of those discs or two are my midrange staples.

Is the comet ideal for shorter distance turnover shots?

What is shorter distance for you?

I'd say no, use an understable putter. Comet is ideal for shorter distance floaty shots, whereas a putter is smaller diameter so it drops more.

You still need a bit of velocity for it to turn, so if you're wanting to do that under say 200' then flippy putter, even with a beat Comet.

Comets will hold an anny at short ranges though and with more float than a putter.

Immediately niced for thuddy sounds. Couldn't put my finger on why I didn't like X comets at first, but they do seem to improve with age.

I lost my most worn X comet the other day, pretty bummed have to say. They are very straight out of the box, it's almost too bad that even the most stable comets I've found tend to be simply very, very "stable" in the sense that they go straight as all heck. Forces me to bookend with an OS mold.

Generally when I lose a seasoned disc it turns me off of the mold for a while, which it has done in this case. Dejected, I took a stack of US mids out to the field the other day to see which one could best do an impression of beat-in comet or absolutely thrashed rancho roc...

I can sooo relate to this ^^^^^

I lost my beautifully seasoned X-Comet last year and to say I was bummed would be a mild understatement. So I went to my backup X-Comets, but they were still pretty new and didn't have that nice feel, so I ended up dropping the Comet for a while and have since been using beat DX Rocs.

I pretty much hate new plastic, my hands are so dry that unless some discs are scuffed up a bit, I can't grip them properly. Elite-X always feels good in the store, but on the course it's pretty slick for me when new. So every once in a while when I need a change of pace, I take two of my X-Comets out and play dubs with myself just trying to get that magic back.

Magics and APXs are the Comets of putters!
I have heard FDs are the Comets of drivers but I haven't really spent too much time with them.

I'd say FD is more the Buzzz of drivers. Little wiggle right and left, neutral-straight, holds any line, can be powered up or down.

Comet is more the putter of mids to me, you can throw it straight/flat and overtop of shorter trees and let it nestle down rather than really fade even at height. Whereas Buzzz style mids and FD for example you want to line drive under the branches.

Latest posts