• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

^^ It's interesting how different everyone's tactile sensations are. I found the Big Z to be slicker than I liked and regular Z seems mostly fine. *shrug*
I also didn't like how the flatter Big Z turned out of the box. I want stable Comets, at least initially, and manipulate the angles and such myself. So I look for the domey Z and X now.
Just interesting how preferences are different.

yeah, at one time I had 6 comets (in three different plastics) and its where I finally figured out what my Comet preferences are...

my favorite are the simple cheaper elite X. they have noticeably less low speed fade compared to their ESP/Z counterparts and arguably more glide.

I have two seasoned elite X comets that I warm up with before and during lunch break during tournaments to tune in my throw (this is for backhand AND sidearm).

Another vote for 170 Elite X Comet; it is the truest flying disc in the bag. :thmbup:
Pairs well with a heavy Z/ESP as long as they are domey.
Flat Comets are not the way to go. :gross:

Domey elite x are all I will throw for comets, ever . Not gonna go back to premium comets. Just the way comets are meant to be thrown means they won't really have to worry about getting tacoed.

Domey elite x are all I will throw for comets, ever . Not gonna go back to premium comets. Just the way comets are meant to be thrown means they won't really have to worry about getting tacoed.

100% agree. Especially lighter ones. I throw beat X Buzzz for the same lines as premium Comets.

The new Z I picked up was stickered 173/174 I think, and had a pretty pronounced dome. Honestly, it flew almost exactly like my heavier X did right out of the box. I think I might like the X slightly better, but the difference in these two seemed virtually negligible. Plus, I mean, hot pink and durable? Come on. :)
I get it though... I really do like the X.

X Comets are tip-top. Especially domey/high shouldered neutral/stable ones.
Some ESP Comets are just as good and last longer. I have one that can't be topped.
TI Comets are exceptional. Really nice plastic, high shouldered and neutral/stable. A little pricier, but they are REALLY nice Comets.

Domey comets are the bee's knees.

I'm not real big on comets,but I like what they do.

I carry just one Elite X Comet that is very old. It has 3 uses. Hyzerflip to slow turnovers,big turnovers and very long approach shots.

Plus i like how they feel like a Roc in a way so when I go from a Roc to my Comet there is not a big change in feel.

I'm not real big on comets,but I like what they do.

I carry just one Elite X Comet that is very old. It has 3 uses. Hyzerflip to slow turnovers,big turnovers and very long approach shots.

Plus i like how they feel like a Roc in a way so when I go from a Roc to my Comet there is not a big change in feel.

I also use mine for really touchy standstill upshots where I can use all have no room to move and can just "wrist" the shot.

so... been out of the Comet game for a bit but started chucking my old z again .. so how do these big z and ti comets compare to production Z or ESP?

Limited sample size, but the Big Z seem to be flatter, at least all the ones I fondled at GGGT. The one I ended up grabbing was understable fresh off the shelf. My domier X and Z are just stable and that is definitely my preference. I'm not sure there was a huge difference in glide really, but also the Big Z seemed slicker to me. I really didn't care for it.

well, bought a reg z comet tonight for kicks, just to see how much more stable it is than an x comet. the x comet just hasn't been cutting it on full power rips that might need a little forgiveness. i am going to do a complete 180, about face and apologize for hating on the z comet. i've had some bad ones in the past. this is awesome.

parked this hole at kaposia and it was the simplest shot ever. just tossed it up high and hard (the ceiling is gone; the pic is old) and watched it just barely drift to the right. thought i was going to ace for a second. usually this hole gives me fits and i started simply throwing gazelles flat and hard to keep them straight the hole way. this was way better.

so count me in for more comet love. finally a comet i can throw flat as hard as i can.

9c6cf45d.jpg

IMAG0492_zpst0fnb6k5.jpg

I read here that Comets can help fix form issues. I've been having a lot of form issues since my leg has gotten better since I've been able to get more power behind my discs. I've used comets for turnovers but never knew they could fix form issues.

Gonna do some Comet rounds to see if it will help me see what I'm doing wrong.

I read here that Comets can help fix form issues. I've been having a lot of form issues since my leg has gotten better since I've been able to get more power behind my discs. I've used comets for turnovers but never knew they could fix form issues.

Gonna do some Comet rounds to see if it will help me see what I'm doing wrong.

Do it! I've found that rounds with a light X Comet are even better for form diagnosis and practice than putter-only rounds. My Comets are less forgiving of poor form than my Judges and when thrown with good form can go farther and cover more lines so not only is it better practice but I actually have more options off the tee with just one disc.

man i cant believe i took the Comet out of my bag for the last 2 years or so .. put ol trusty in maybe two weeks ago and have been carving up some tight woods shots.. just love this damn mold!!

Latest posts