• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Got sent a dyed Z by a guy I cut a deal with on some discs. Flat top and it os the perfect flip up from hyzer to dead straight disc. Like my Elite-X was before I beat it in further. Honestly think I can retire that Elite-X now, though it would be nice to ace with it first, since it's drawn so much metal. Time will tell, though I may play a few more rounds than normal on the shorter 9s around here, hoping to draw that elusive ace.

Edit: Just realized that was my 2k post. Of course it would come in a Comet thread.

Any feedback on the 2021 MJ Comets???
Most people don't have them yet. Mine are in the hands of the post office; God help me. :(

I'm not really expecting anything Earth-shattering. Comets in my experience have a relatively small range in terms of performance i.e. they fly just a tick off from each other. I've noticed that flatter Comets tend to be less predictable for me and seem to be short of magic glide. The Sparkle Ledgestones from a few years ago basically fly the same lines as a Z Comet for me, it just doesn't have magic glide. Those are examples of Comets I wasn't all that happy with, but they aren't junk. You can throw them and they basically do the Comet-ish "hold the line you put it on" thing most of the time. In the end the differences are a lot more subtle than you see in a lot of discs.

Which is good because $25 was a lot to spend on a golf discs and I had to be pretty confident that it was going to fly like a Comet before I pulled the trigger on it.

After regular Z Comets went into full production I had a chance at some RR Comets, but they were $40 and I thought "Why? They fly basically like the ones I have." :| I'm not sure where my cut off for that is, but it's a lot less than $40. $25 might be it.

I haven't purchased any of the new $25 MJ comets (or Discraft anything) yet, and don't know if I will. Sort of feeling that my money limit for massed produced discs is around $21 right now.

My response to this year's wave of hyper dollar Discraft runs has been to unbox a few more ordinary x and z Comets.

I had a 2020 MJ in the bag basically all winter as my "stable" Comet, and it had been doing that wonderfully. Except just the past couple weeks it went from being able to be thrown flat and have it's own S flight to (at least) hyzerflip or full turnover. Kind of interesting how fast that transition was.

I had a 2020 MJ in the bag basically all winter as my "stable" Comet, and it had been doing that wonderfully. Except just the past couple weeks it went from being able to be thrown flat and have it's own S flight to (at least) hyzerflip or full turnover. Kind of interesting how fast that transition was.

The one I'm throwing was given to me used and has a sweet small turn to it. I have a new max weight that has a nice fade. I only carry the used one right now but it will be interesting to see the other break in that fast, if it does for me.

I haven't purchased any of the new $25 MJ comets (or Discraft anything) yet, and don't know if I will. Sort of feeling that my money limit for massed produced discs is around $21 right now.

My response to this year's wave of hyper dollar Discraft runs has been to unbox a few more ordinary x and z Comets.
I think ultimately they are going to run off people like me that already has a stack of Comets. I'm 50, I'm not going to play forever and I can probably coast with the stash I have. People like me with the institutional memory of buying 14 golf discs with $100 and getting change back are going to fall out of this market and they know that. They want the younger audience who has no institutional memory of cheap disc golf, and if they get that it's not really going to matter that they lose you and me along the way.

That's kinda weird.. All my Comets have transitioned fairly slowly. Especially the Z ones.

Any radical warm up in temperature there?

Any less flashing on the bottom?

That's kinda weird.. All my Comets have transitioned fairly slowly. Especially the Z ones.

Any radical warm up in temperature there?

Any less flashing on the bottom?

Not a ton of flashing on this run. I could just be oating it some here recently, but my go-to flippy comet isn't any flippier...

It has warmed up some recently, but I was throwing it like last october when it was still fairly warm.

Yeah I wouldn't expect Z to really break like that, but it's not awful. My flippy cryZtal one I bought on here is still my money disc.

I think ultimately they are going to run off people like me that already has a stack of Comets. I'm 50, I'm not going to play forever and I can probably coast with the stash I have. People like me with the institutional memory of buying 14 golf discs with $100 and getting change back are going to fall out of this market and they know that. They want the younger audience who has no institutional memory of cheap disc golf, and if they get that it's not really going to matter that they lose you and me along the way.

Supply and demand. A lot more golfers these days! Also, it's great to support your favourite players.
I'd also say that the newer run comets fly quite a bit more stable than a lot of the older runs I've thrown, which allows more diversity in stability (and also last longer).

I like to get one to support MJ, but I might not be snagging one this year. I have enough Comets and not really throwing mids right now anyway.

I found some 177+ 2021 MJs at a small club house on a super old course about an hour north of me. It cost $22.99. The grey/clear one online, no choice in color, 175-176, 25.99. The course is actually still one of the oldest in the country.
All wooded course, so mostly straight throws. It didn't have any turn for me at 250-300ft throws. Out in a field near the course, a little wind and just a slow turn that stabled up right at the end.

Profile feels about the same as the 2019 MJs( I didn't get any 2020s). Not as domey as 3rd run ESPs, but not as flat as 2nd run ESPs. Compared to a couple of glows that I own and felt about the same in the hand, except for the bottom of the flight plate feels more slippery. Only matters to me because I throw comets with a fan grip.

Bonus pics. I will from now on be giving that course a call before I look online. Keeping it local. Found a number of discs that I couldn't find on line.
picture.php

picture.php

Also found a couple of Star TL3's, but couldn't find the picture.

I found some 177+ 2021 MJs at a small club house on a super old course about an hour north of me. It cost $22.99. The grey/clear one online, no choice in color, 175-176, 25.99. The course is actually still one of the oldest in the country.
All wooded course, so mostly straight throws. It didn't have any turn for me at 250-300ft throws. Out in a field near the course, a little wind and just a slow turn that stabled up right at the end.

Profile feels about the same as the 2019 MJs( I didn't get any 2020s). Not as domey as 3rd run ESPs, but not as flat as 2nd run ESPs. Compared to a couple of glows that I own and felt about the same in the hand, except for the bottom of the flight plate feels more slippery. Only matters to me because I throw comets with a fan grip.

Bonus pics. I will from now on be giving that course a call before I look online. Keeping it local. Found a number of discs that I couldn't find on line.
picture.php

picture.php

Wonder if they expect people to actually throw the clear ones.

picture.php

picture.php

I dig that Big Z Luna art.

I took a 2021 out and threw it up against my current bagged Comets: 2017 MJ Z, and a flat older run of ESP. I'll try and grab some profile pics tomorrow, but from my initial review it seems to match up with the 2017 nicely. Same shoulder/dome it seems - both of which are a little flatter in the center vs the 2020 MJ. I'm going to take a fresh 2017 out and compare it to the fresh 2021 and see how it goes.

Snagged a 2021 MJ series this morning on my local online retailer. Can't wait to throw it! Tried to grab a Big Z Luna, but they were gone in seconds (I even made sure to put it in my cart the second the product was available). Super annoying, but oh well, I prefer my Rekos, but was curious about the Luna in Big Z.
Picked up a slick red Comet. The color looks SO rich. Anyone know how the plastics differs from regular Z?