• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design-a-bag: Get a bag! by Physical Flight

Which bag "ideas" would you like to see in a bag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It looks like many of you are creating bags to compete with many of the established large bags (Grip, Mahal, Dual Pack, etc) and are missing a great opportunity: I think there is a need for a bag for a player moving up from their starter bag to an affordable, versatile option.

Here is my idea:

The Capsule Bag by Physical Flight
bagconcept_zps8f98468d-1_zps1d151338.jpg

Features:
  • Compact, streamlined look
  • $100 price tag
  • 2 top loading water bottle holders
  • Zippered Top storage area
  • 2 side Putter Pockets
  • Disc Storage- 2 putters (outside), 12-15 in the main compartment and more space above
  • 4 slim side pockets (for scorecards, minis, wallets etc)
  • Multi-use snaps around the bag and the top storage area (also used to close off the disc compartment)
  • Cushioned, adjustable backpack straps

Customizable Storage
The bag is designed to fit comfortably, whether carrying a full load or a smaller set of discs. If you want a water bottle or two, there is space for it, but if you prefer not to carry water, there isn't an unsightly cloth flap just hanging off the side. The same goes for carrying an umbrella or other accessories - if you need them, simply snap them on when you need them.

The top storage area can hold 2 nalgene sized bottles as well as an extra layer of clothing. If you need less water, the compartment will offer more space for whatever else you would need- even a hydration bladder.

TL;DR Summary
This bag would be a less expensive, multi featured bag for the normal golfer - someone who wants more than a starter bag, but doesn't want the bulk or expense of a $200+ bag

Ok here it goes. I think if you took elements from a couple of top bag designs and meshed them together you could make the perfect tourney bag (at least for me)

Take a golf mahals top loading middle section including putter pocket, yoke, rainfly and main disc compartment. Add the grip side pockets and water bottle holders. Reattach the small side pockets from the mahal to those. Finally add the stacked disc design from big hyzer in the dead space above the main disc compartment. I guess you get about 3-4 disc stacked in this area. Bag should hold 18-20 total.

Bag should also have rails on the bottom like the grip to help keep it upright.
Here's a sketch of my idea:
D44C7B3B-B22B-49E3-9728-46B030A5B2C7-6099-00000A82FD0FB61E.jpg

Here ya go:

I call it The Howitzer.
attachment.php

It's a smaller backpack style bag. It fits up to 16 discs. There is a double putter pocket up front and an external disc pocket on both sides towards the middle of the bag for 4 total discs on the outside. Inside the discs go front to back, but are angled so they are more easily accessible. Two movable Velcro dividers allow for your own disc organization, but the cradle fits 12 discs roughly. Towards the top outside on one side is a mini/pencil pocket. On the other side will be a small sleeve for a scorecard/mini clipboard.

The bag itself is framed on both the bottom and back for stability, the frame directly under the disc cradle is connected to the L shape frame formed from the bottom and back plates to solidify the frame and help prevent sagging. External padding on the back, top grip handle, and padded straps with carabiner loops and sternum strap are standard features for a backpack bag. I also placed rails on the bottom of the bag to protect from mud/water/etc. The flap that zippers over the main opening will be able to tuck behind the disc cradle.

One interesting feature in this bag is that there are two insulted drink holders on the inside of the main compartment to keep the weight you are carrying centered. The holders will go right to the bottom of the bag to allow grommets for moisture. Inside the main compartment and in front of the holders is the main storage room. One side will have a mesh pocket, and the other has a zippered pouch for your wallet, keys, phone, etc. That will still leave open room for towels, a sweater, or any miscellaneous things you carry. You could also shove a towel/birdie bag/etc. into an unused bottle holder.

I envisioned a two-tone color scheme, but asthetic design is not my strong suit. Let's make this happen!

Here they are

Last edited:
i have to admit, i feel that ^ aces design was the best, maybe behind discdwns bag, no offense to cyclone because i just feel that the capsule is like a mini cabela's bag. Aces in illinois incorporated a large part of physical flight with the logo. And very importantly, it can be customized, there are at least two spots where you can make a putter pocket, a plasti dipped bottem that is stock :thmbup:, a nice divider, a stool holder, a handle, and lots of pockets. The only complaint i might find is that there is only one drink holder.

This poll blows. You could have at least included a few other of the design/sketches.

He did say right from the beginning only 3 designs of their choosing would get put up for voting. My best guess is they chose whichever ones they felt best fit with the direction they are looking to go. Doesn't necessarily mean there weren't better or viable options offered; just not the right ones for Physical Flight.

i really like the discddwn design. it would be nice if the side pockets were a tiny bit bigger than the grip's to allow extra storage. prodiscus size.

i have to admit, i feel that ^ aces design was the best, maybe behind discdwns bag, no offense to cyclone because i just feel that the capsule is like a mini cabela's bag. Aces in illinois incorporated a large part of physical flight with the logo. And very importantly, it can be customized, there are at least two spots where you can make a putter pocket, a plasti dipped bottem that is stock :thmbup:, a nice divider, a stool holder, a handle, and lots of pockets. The only complaint i might find is that there is only one drink holder.

Thanks man! :thmbup: I would have thought at least 4 or 5 on the poll. Oh well.

I guess I can see that a little bit, although the cabelas bag is bulky and ugly and not designed at all for the game

mmm, cough* Have you ever sat a grip and cabela's bag next to each other. I think the Grip took a few pages out of the Cabela's play book. Correct, the Cabela's bag was not designed for disc golf, but how can the 50 or so people that have been buying them be wrong? Thanks to this thread>>>http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260

mmm, cough* Have you ever sat a grip and cabela's bag next to each other. I think the Grip took a few pages out of the Cabela's play book. Correct, the Cabela's bag was not designed for disc golf, but how can the 50 or so people that have been buying them be wrong? Thanks to this thread>>>http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260

I think people buy Cabelas bags because they're cheap and can be MacGyvered into something that resembles the big bags. Why not have a better designed bag to start with? How about something for the typical player can use without breaking the bank?

Its a mater of opinions - I hope eventually I can find an inexpensive backpack bag that I don't have to kludge together to use.

I think people buy Cabelas bags because they're cheap and can be MacGyvered into something that resembles the big bags. Why not have a better designed bag to start with? How about something for the typical player can use without breaking the bank?

Its a mater of opinions - I hope eventually I can find an inexpensive backpack bag that I don't have to kludge together to use.

I agree, but your design is also reminiscent of said bag. All these other ideas are just add-ons. But like you said, it's a matter of opinions.

Vote for me! Im not trying to trash talk, but the winning bag is "this part of golf Mahal, this part of Big Hyzer, and this part of a Grip"? Vote for originality! Vote for new! Vote for a need within the current bag offerings! VOTE FOR FREEDOM! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!

Sorry, I got carried away there...
no need to apologize. I was under the impression that he was looking for new ideas and concepts. Not "Take which features in what bags do you like best, and assemble them into your own arrangement."

In all seriousness, did people not understand the idea behind my...conecpt? Was there something flawed about it the idea that I didn't think of?
And again...I thought this was supposed to be for ideas to be incorporated into a design of they're making. Whatever.

Last edited:

Latest posts