• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design-a-bag: Get a bag! by Physical Flight

Which bag "ideas" would you like to see in a bag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In all seriousness, did people not understand the idea behind my...conecpt? Was there something flawed about it the idea that I didn't think of?
And again...I thought this was supposed to be for ideas to be incorporated into a design of they're making. Whatever.

No, I don't think there was anything wrong with yours. There were a few "modular" entries. I think the inherent problem with a modular design is stability. Our bags take a lot of use and abuse, and if there are "parts" or "sections" that start to become less secure, wobble, or begin to not fasten correctly...that becomes a quality issue for the company making them. Our bags are essentially cubes of material and framework. They may be shaped differently, have different pockets, etc. But in the end it's a simple concept. If you start getting complicated, it adds just as many variables for failure as it does for success.

Something that a bag company might look at someday is adding "accessories" to a bag. Like the speaker pocket that guy on YouTube made that snaps onto his Grip rainfly buttons. Now THAT would be a cool way to let everyone create a unique set-up and continue gaining revenue on an already-purchased bag.

I love the idea behind the Howitzer and its organization strategy. The deal breaker for me is that it appears to much of the weight would be carried very far from your body, making the bag seem far heavier than it truly is. If it was downsized to hold less, it may be more functional. I'd see 2 discs in the side pockets, 2 in front pocket, and 8 max stacked along the main compartment coming away from your back, maxing out at 12 discs. Any more discs would get to far away from your center mass to feel comfortable IMO. Still love the concept though, just a bit too large for it.

The discddwn design has solid, functional design, but there are many bags that already fill this function along similar designs. Even if this is a better design, it doesn't stand out from the larger pack of bags to make it special.

The capsule design feels fresher, more realistic function. The top design of getting drink holder into the bag rather than tacked on the outside is great. This bag would fill a nice niche between starter bags and large tourney bags.

Think of it like this. It's like asking why a lightsaber doesn't win a "design the next cool invention" contest. Sure, it SHOULD win. But it's currently just not a viable option. :D

The capsule design feels fresher, more realistic function. The top design of getting drink holder into the bag rather than tacked on the outside is great. This bag would fill a nice niche between starter bags and large tourney bags.

I'm glad that at least one person sees what I was trying to do :thmbup:

no need to apologize. I was under the impression that he was looking for new ideas and concepts. Not "Take which features in what bags do you like best, and assemble them into your own arrangement."

In all seriousness, did people not understand the idea behind my...conecpt? Was there something flawed about it the idea that I didn't think of?
And again...I thought this was supposed to be for ideas to be incorporated into a design of they're making. Whatever.

LoPan, I actuallly really liked your idea.
If it was executed well it would be a great bag option, i like that with your concept the golfer has the ability to build their own bag.

And if it was to be done the company could give you a certain set of panels but could also sell the other panels seperately to give even more creativity and control to the golfer.

Also, the company could come up with more panel ideas after production of the original bag.

Like I said, I actually reallyyyy liked it, but the execution of it could be the most difficult part of it

I love the idea behind the Howitzer and its organization strategy. The deal breaker for me is that it appears to much of the weight would be carried very far from your body, making the bag seem far heavier than it truly is. If it was downsized to hold less, it may be more functional. I'd see 2 discs in the side pockets, 2 in front pocket, and 8 max stacked along the main compartment coming away from your back, maxing out at 12 discs. Any more discs would get to far away from your center mass to feel comfortable IMO. Still love the concept though, just a bit too large for it.

The discddwn design has solid, functional design, but there are many bags that already fill this function along similar designs. Even if this is a better design, it doesn't stand out from the larger pack of bags to make it special.

I agree with you, lol. The scale-tipper in your assessment is the bottle holders. With both bottle holders empty, the Howitzer may feel a little heavier with putters and discs in the front. And the Capsule may organize things more practically. But with one or both of the bottle holders full, the weight starts focusing against your back with the Howitzer. With the Capsule, I'd be worried about it's stability standing on a hill or other less-than-flat surface without it being top-heavy and tipping.

If you don't tend to lug 2 big Nalgenes or what-have-you, then I'm with ya.

Better

If I really wanted to, I could design a bag that would totally be better at blowing these bags out of the water than any other bag could possibly be. I grew up playing with Legos.

Winning! Vote for me! If I win I want a purple one:D

Last edited:
Only the top two vote getters will then have a chance to be picked by physical flight and one of those ideas will be used in production of one of our bags this year. I will contact and post the winner Wednesday

That's how I read it. I hope I didn't make an ass of myself wooing for 2nd.

Looks like the top two are dscdwn and
Howitzer.

I have to talk to the guys and a decision will be made tomorrow.

Winner chosen by us is..........howitzer. The concept of the bag fits in a place in the market where it could possibly be successful with its size. A smaller backpack at a good price point is what a lot of people would want. We will take some of the ideas of the bag an incorporate into a bag later this year. Thanks for the responses. Stay tuned for more from physical flight because we are going thru some good changes.

Winner chosen by us is..........howitzer. The concept of the bag fits in a place in the market where it could possibly be successful with its size. A smaller backpack at a good price point is what a lot of people would want. We will take some of the ideas of the bag an incorporate into a bag later this year. Thanks for the responses. Stay tuned for more from physical flight because we are going thru some good changes.

from a business perspective, this is the most important aspect of the winning entry. Right now you have a number of beginner bags, and then a number of full-on tourney-size carry around your closet type bag. There aren't very many well designed, affordable bags available in the middle for those of us who would want carry 10-14 discs and not spend a fortune on a bag thats overkill. As the sport grows and more people are playing weekend tournaments, this niche has the opportunity to sell the most bags so tapping into this would be what a business wants to do, imo.

here's hoping this thing ends up $60-75.

Latest posts