• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design-a-bag: Get a bag! by Physical Flight

Which bag "ideas" would you like to see in a bag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ScreenShot2013-01-17at115351AM_zps3be8a280.png

My bag design keeps the same feel of a comfortable Grip bag but moves a majority of the storage to the inside of the actual bag instead of simply putting pockets on the outside. There is also a seat that unfolds easily when needed and is supported by rods running through the inside of the bag. Two putter pockets on either side have a unique shape that allows easy removal and insertion of discs but makes it difficult for them to simply fall out. I'm thinking a zipper would work as a way to close these internal pockets easily and quickly. Please notice the compartment that rests against the wearer's back as well, this would be an ideal spot to store a sweatshirt or any other equipment that may be needed.

I failed to go into much more detail with the bag but I'd hope that grommets, key rings, and other attachments would be added to allow for more customization by the user.

Lastly, there could be a jetpack attachment that allowed users to fly all over the course and get discs down from trees. (Please note that this technology is not accessible at this time) :D

ScreenShot2013-01-17at115351AM_zps3be8a280.png

My bag design keeps the same feel of a comfortable Grip bag but moves a majority of the storage to the inside of the actual bag instead of simply putting pockets on the outside. There is also a seat that unfolds easily when needed and is supported by rods running through the inside of the bag. Two putter pockets on either side have a unique shape that allows easy removal and insertion of discs but makes it difficult for them to simply fall out. I'm thinking a zipper would work as a way to close these internal pockets easily and quickly. Please notice the compartment that rests against the wearer's back as well, this would be an ideal spot to store a sweatshirt or any other equipment that may be needed.

I failed to go into much more detail with the bag but I'd hope that grommets, key rings, and other attachments would be added to allow for more customization by the user.

Lastly, there could be a jetpack attachment that allowed users to fly all over the course and get discs down from trees. (Please note that this technology is not accessible at this time) :D

Nice design! If the seat stuck out far enough it could be a canopy for the discs to stay dry in the rain!

Whatever the design, the bag neeeeds to have adjustable shoulder straps. Like right by the shoulders, a place to shorten or lengthen the straps . cant find a pic. sorry

Start with the Challenger. The bottom center section will be squeezed in so that it will hold ~12 discs. The section will have two elastic bands from front to back to divide the section into thirds and help keep discs from flopping around when carry fewer discs. Lower the top of this section and lower the putter pocket (still able to hold two putters), making the top section bigger. The bigger top section now allows for a thin insulated pocket between the compartment and the back padding. This new pocket would be for a water bladder, with access to this pocket being a zipper on top of the bag. Add a small hole for the tubing on each side of the zipper for right/left hand, and add clips on each of the straps to secure the water tubing.

The sides of the bag will be all new. For starters, when looking at the bag compared to the Challenger the sides will stick out further. This is to accommodate a new and unique feature. The side will have a zipper on the front side starting at the bottom and running to the top-back of the bag, unzipping from bottom to top and allowing the outside to swing completely open (like a book). When the side swings open a section of discs, stacked vertically, swings out and is secured in the opening. Each vertical section can hold ~12 discs, giving you ~38 total disc capacity.

One side of the bag will have a large mesh pocket towards the bottom and a mini pocket about halfway up. The other side will have two mesh pockets; one of which is the perfect size to fit a golden retriever securely, and about half up the side will be score card and pencil holder/pocket. Also on the sides, almost at the top of the bag above the bottle holders will be straps. You can place an umbrella or stool in the cup holder and use the straps to secure one or both to the bag since you can use the water bladder in place of water bottles.

All these features make this bag a perfect option for tournament and casual rounds alike. For tournament rounds, the ~38 disc capacity should be plenty for your main disc and plenty of backups, without losing precious space for spare clothes, rain gear, snacks, etc. For casual rounds, unload the two vertical sections (making the bag that much lighter) and just utilize the bottom center section for your discs and still have the top free for whatever you need.

Attachments

• CAM00050.jpg
    CAM00050.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 92
Modular by design ....

Wish I'd have seen this post before this morning ... dammit man. Anyway, how about a completely modular based frame that will allow any kind of setup based on whatever your planned activity would be .... disc golf only being one of those things. If the frame system caught on then third party vendors could create add ons and actually add value to the system ... so my idea isn't as much a bag but a frame system which you could plug modules on and off of.

Best I could do since I should really have been creating a quote this morning but it's monday and to tell the truth I didnt feel like working anyway.

If someone patents this thing and becomes a millionaire hook a brother up will ya ?

Attachments

• golfpack.jpg
    golfpack.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 80
Capsule Bag Concept

There are some nice looking designs in this thread so far :thmbup:

It looks like many of you are creating bags to compete with many of the established large bags (Grip, Mahal, Dual Pack, etc) and are missing a great opportunity: I think there is a need for a bag for a player moving up from their starter bag to an affordable, versatile option.

Here is my idea:

The Capsule Bag by Physical Flight
bagconcept_zps8f98468d-1_zps1d151338.jpg

Features:
  • Compact, streamlined look
  • $100 price tag
  • 2 top loading water bottle holders
  • Zippered Top storage area
  • 2 side Putter Pockets
  • Disc Storage- 2 putters (outside), 12-15 in the main compartment and more space above
  • 4 slim side pockets (for scorecards, minis, wallets etc)
  • Multi-use snaps around the bag and the top storage area (also used to close off the disc compartment)
  • Cushioned, adjustable backpack straps

Customizable Storage
The bag is designed to fit comfortably, whether carrying a full load or a smaller set of discs. If you want a water bottle or two, there is space for it, but if you prefer not to carry water, there isn't an unsightly cloth flap just hanging off the side. The same goes for carrying an umbrella or other accessories - if you need them, simply snap them on when you need them.

The top storage area can hold 2 nalgene sized bottles as well as an extra layer of clothing. If you need less water, the compartment will offer more space for whatever else you would need- even a hydration blatter.

TL;DR Summary
This bag would be a less expensive, multi featured bag for the normal golfer - someone who wants more than a starter bag, but doesn't want the bulk or expense of a $200+ bag

Last edited:
Here is my idea, think of how you uaed to store CD's on the sun visor of your car. Now make it so there are multiple, the largest towards the front and possibly one or two behind that. I usually stick with about a 8-10 disc system with 5 to 8 specialty discs that i carry also. This would allow you to store your specialty discs behind your "goto" discs.you would just need to incorporate a hinge on the outer most file compartment to allow access to the compartent behind it.

2013-01-18_14-19-17_805.jpg

i would love a bag that i can keep discs in and bike with.

I'm thinking of something like a camelback spot in it too. holding around 12 discs, bike tools spare tire, and loops on the outside so i can roll up a jacket and also it should be waterproof!

needs to stand on it own...the bags that tip over drive me crazy..even the nutsack is more frustrating than anything because it rolls on you!

so
- biker friendly
- waterproof
- camelback insert area
- 12 discs
- outside slots to hold jackets/shirts
- side pockets for keys, wallet, bike tools, rain fly
- clear phone pocket that is waterproof. phone on silent but i can still see if i get a message/call.

Why I had designed the Howitzer as a medium sized backpack was in part because I tried to see where Physical Flight's bag offerings would benefit. I like a lot of the designs on here, but so many of them are larger tour backpacks. Which they already offer a good option for. I don't see the need to R&D another 20 disc backpack option. Medium-sized is the way to go, and is also a rarely offered option at this point. Making a tour sized bag just adds another to the dozen in the market. Other than Gateway and Upper Park, I don't think anyone else offers a smaller backpack option at a price point below that $200 line. Just my .02/final plea for selection.

Waterproof phone pocket is one of the key components being repeated. That would be great in case you get caught in the rain during a round.

Why I had designed the Howitzer as a medium sized backpack was in part because I tried to see where Physical Flight's bag offerings would benefit. I like a lot of the designs on here, but so many of them are larger tour backpacks. Which they already offer a good option for. I don't see the need to R&D another 20 disc backpack option. Medium-sized is the way to go, and is also a rarely offered option at this point. Making a tour sized bag just adds another to the dozen in the market. Other than Gateway and Upper Park, I don't think anyone else offers a smaller backpack option at a price point below that $200 line. Just my .02/final plea for selection.

I agree completely - there are plenty of options with huge storage around $200.

We need a ~$100 backpack that is put-together and useful

Waterproof phone pocket is one of the key components being repeated. That would be great in case you get caught in the rain during a round.

Snap one on to my design :)

The Hydrator (please, god, change this name)

This design was inspired by three items, and has been kicking around in my head for well over a year now. These three items are my tiny Camelbak, the tiny hiking backpack I use as a Sunday bag, and the CD sleeve on my visor (apologies to Snailpowered, who got his design up before I did, and to Upper Park Designs, for this similarity). Central to this design's strength is something that no disc golf manufacturer has attempted (to my knowledge): a backpack whose use isn't restricted to golf. It would be light, shallow, and would make an absolutely perfect dayhiking pack, as well as being useful for both folks who carry only a couple discs, or those who carry a pretty big amount, depending on how tight you want to cram it.

Aesthetically, I have no attachment to the drawing I'm providing. I can't draw to save my life. Things like the mini/scorecard/pencil placement don't matter to me (they could probably be moved inside the main pocket?). I don't even have a set number of discs in mind, as this would fluctuate with the way the pockets are constructed, and even with the manufacturer's choice of width. Things like the mesh for holding a water bottle could easily be swapped out for a cheaper option to keep the price lower. The important thing would be to include the following innovations:

• Outside sleeve-style pockets to hold between 6 and 10 discs. Sleeves allow both easy access to the most often used discs, and a way to make the entire pack shallower (since they're oriented at an angle).
• Pockets lined with microfiber to dry discs as you slide them into their slots (or not, if this is prohibitively expensive).
• Optional Camelbak (two price points?).
• Waterbottle pocket big enough for Nalgene.
• Waterproof phone/wallet pocket (LOVE my DGA EliteShield protective pocket too, so feel free to find a way to steal that idea?).
• Added vertical storage in main pocket.

I would love a bag that I don't need to remove while putting in casual rounds, and this would be that bag. I even toyed around with the idea of putter slots on the back of the bag so you could reach under your arm to remove your putters, but I decided that it would make the bag too deep.

As for the multi-use requirement, I figure that Physical Flight is uniquely suited to design a pack that would be comfortable both for golf and for hiking. In my mind, this flexibility is rooted in the inclusion of a Camelbak and that the main compartment is simply an open backpack pocket when it's not crammed with discs. With the vertical sleeve storage, it would remain backpack/daypack depth instead of the 10+ inches needed to store discs sideways. It's not as hard to convince your wife/husband that you need a new golf bag when it's also useful for all those hikes you talk about going on. In addition, the most frustrating thing about small/medium/Sunday bags is that I don't have anywhere to jam my sweatshirt when it inevitably comes off, which would be no issue in a pack like this.

I thought about posting pictures of the items that inspired me, but I'll make that a by request thing.

There isn't any bag on the market that does what this bag would do, both as a small/medium backpack style bag and thanks to its versatility. It would have a slot by itself, and that's a useful selling point.

Thank you guys for this opportunity.

20130121_102736_zps99df1225.jpg

Just got back in town, the poll will be open tomorrow and voting will last 24 hrs!! Only the top two vote getters will then have a chance to be picked by physical flight and one of those ideas will be used in production of one of our bags this year. I will contact and post the winner Wednesday.

We will be making a few updates to our current bag lineup this year (only offering 2-3 bags total) including a signature bag to a top pro.

Just got back in town, the poll will be open tomorrow and voting will last 24 hrs!! Only the top two vote getters will then have a chance to be picked by physical flight and one of those ideas will be used in production of one of our bags this year. I will contact and post the winner Wednesday.

We will be making a few updates to our current bag lineup this year (only offering 2-3 bags total) including a signature bag to a top pro.

Excited! Thanks for the opportunity

Poll has been posted. It will last for 1 day til tomorrow night. At that point I will tell you we chose out of the top two ideas. Have a good night

There are some nice looking designs in this thread so far :thmbup:

It looks like many of you are creating bags to compete with many of the established large bags (Grip, Mahal, Dual Pack, etc) and are missing a great opportunity: I think there is a need for a bag for a player moving up from their starter bag to an affordable, versatile option.

Here is my idea:

The Capsule Bag by Physical Flight
bagconcept_zps8f98468d-1_zps1d151338.jpg

Features:
  • Compact, streamlined look
  • $100 price tag
  • 2 top loading water bottle holders
  • Zippered Top storage area
  • 2 side Putter Pockets
  • Disc Storage- 2 putters (outside), 12-15 in the main compartment and more space above
  • 4 slim side pockets (for scorecards, minis, wallets etc)
  • Multi-use snaps around the bag and the top storage area (also used to close off the disc compartment)
  • Cushioned, adjustable backpack straps

Customizable Storage
The bag is designed to fit comfortably, whether carrying a full load or a smaller set of discs. If you want a water bottle or two, there is space for it, but if you prefer not to carry water, there isn't an unsightly cloth flap just hanging off the side. The same goes for carrying an umbrella or other accessories - if you need them, simply snap them on when you need them.

The top storage area can hold 2 nalgene sized bottles as well as an extra layer of clothing. If you need less water, the compartment will offer more space for whatever else you would need- even a hydration blatter.

TL;DR Summary
This bag would be a less expensive, multi featured bag for the normal golfer - someone who wants more than a starter bag, but doesn't want the bulk or expense of a $200+ bag

Vote for the Capsule!

We need a good affordable backpack in the market!

Vote for me! Im not trying to trash talk, but the winning bag is "this part of golf Mahal, this part of Big Hyzer, and this part of a Grip"? Vote for originality! Vote for new! Vote for a need within the current bag offerings! VOTE FOR FREEDOM! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!

Sorry, I got carried away there...

Latest posts