• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Detroit to Charleston South Carolina

slickwheels

Birdie Member
Considering a trip from Detroit to Charleston South Carolina.
Does anybody have any course suggestions that are not more than a couple of hours out of the way that I should try to play in my travels?
Any courses that stand out as exceptional?

Well, you're passing through Charlotte, take your pick.

From there on, hold out until you get to Charleston and play Trophy Lakes. Just bring extra discs.

Trophy Lakes for sure. You gotta pay to play but it's well worth it. Lots of water.

Well, you're passing through Charlotte, take your pick.

From there on, hold out until you get to Charleston and play Trophy Lakes. Just bring extra discs.

What they said!

Trophy Lakes ...and we're not exaggerating when we say "Bring Discs you don't care to lose". I lost two the day I played. Still worth it! ;)

If you are looking to just add another DG course notch in the belt. Johns Island is just down the road from trophy lakes, and can be played in about 15 to 20 minutes. You may only need one or two discs.

I'm not sure how you would come down, but if you are going through Asheville, Hit Richmond Hill and a stop in Columbia at Earlwood would also be a worthwhile stop

If you have looked at Charleston, don't waste your time trying to hit the two small private courses. Ones a military base the other is Charleston Southern. Both don't look favorably on people that aren't authorized to play there. Just an FYI.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the route is I-77 almost all the way. If the route is further west, there are a LOT of options at the Southern end.

Otherwise, between Charlotte & Charleston the best couse is Earlewood, a very fun short course, and not too terribly far off I-77. But unless you're trying to notch a lot of courses on the trek, I'd linger in Charlotte and then make the push to Charleston.

There's a couple decent courses here in Columbus, I assume you'll be coming right through, in Brent Hambrick, Alum Creek, and Pickerington. If I'm in town I can show you around any of them.

Oh and if you are heading down 23 through Ohio you will drive right past Gordon Holton. Both Gordon Holton and Alum Creek were part of the AM Worlds last year.

Last edited:
Trophy Lakes is Great and Park Circle has a nice course

Holes 10,11,and 12 at trophy lake look to be very interesting. Are these the holes where discs are lost?

I think the key to your trip is making sure you pack all your stuff, and forgetting about heading north again once you're in Charleston. Detroit does not need you back. Get out while you can.

Not sure what route you will be taking, but try to hit at least one cool mountain course in NC. Probably Richmond Hill. Try to squeeze in as many Charlotte courses as you can. It's probably 30 minutes out of your way or so, but Crooked Creek in Chapin, SC is pretty nice. Earlewood in Columbia is decent too.

im here in Clemson, SC (Upstate) but we have prob 5-7 good lil courses that you can reach in an hour or less drive so if you get up this way hit me up and we will get a few rounds in brotha :)

I think the key to your trip is making sure you pack all your stuff, and forgetting about heading north again once you're in Charleston. Detroit does not need you back. Get out while you can.

Not sure what route you will be taking, but try to hit at least one cool mountain course in NC. Probably Richmond Hill. Try to squeeze in as many Charlotte courses as you can. It's probably 30 minutes out of your way or so, but Crooked Creek in Chapin, SC is pretty nice. Earlewood in Columbia is decent too.

I agree completely. Except I did that about four years ago. I lived in Charleston for 2 years and then my job disappeared and I had to come back. Not much going on here except snow removal. lol

Holes 10,11,and 12 at trophy lake look to be very interesting. Are these the holes where discs are lost?

.....and 3, 6, 7, 15, 18.....

It's actually not as bad as all that. If you throw with reasonable control, of your disc and ego, there's no reason to lose any discs. But there is the opportunity. I once shot a dreadful 787-rated tournament round without losing any. I've played from the long trees with my puny 270-foot arm and not lost any.

When you have water that starts 200' from the tee end ends 350', you can lay up and then over with little problem. Or you can man up and clear the water. Or almost clear the water. And of course it's usually windy.

#6, from the long tee taking the shortest route to the basket, is probably 260' to the far shore. You can bail out left, which makes the hole harder, or play the short tee, of course.

Several baskets are very close to water, as well, so your midranges & putters are also in danger.

But just pack extras---this course is worth it.

Latest posts