• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 The Preserve Championship July 3-5

What is Nikkos highest ever rated round?

He's definitely in the 1100 club, I believe from the Memorial one year. I think he might actually be 2x alumni for the 1100 club if I'm remembering right.

In addition I'm pretty sure he has a slew of 1080s and 1090s. Today is unofficially rated 1077 so far. Not quite up there but still great shooting.

To adapt from Mitch Hedberg, "Nikko used to shoot really good. He still does, but he used to, too." :D

He's definitely in the 1100 club, I believe from the Memorial one year. I think he might actually be 2x alumni for the 1100 club if I'm remembering right.

In addition I'm pretty sure he has a slew of 1080s and 1090s. Today is unofficially rated 1077 so far. Not quite up there but still great shooting.

To adapt from Mitch Hedberg, "Nikko used to shoot really good. He still does, but he used to, too." :D

King of the one-liner

What is Nikkos highest ever rated round?

The 25th Annual Memorial Championship presented by Discraft NT 27-Feb to 2-Mar-2013 1111

attachment.php

Attachments

• NikkoRR.png
    NikkoRR.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 189
How can the Commentators not know what score the players are putting for?

"Paige is putting for Birdy" . . no she was not
"Paige is putting for Bogey". . .No she´s not

Also Steve, in your mind, should hole 18 at the preserve be a par 4 or 5?

Those are his calculated ratings, not his individual round ratings like Steve used in the graph.

I cut and pasted from the Ratings Detail tab.

We'll see about par on 18 (and all the other holes) after all the rounds are done.

The SSA for 1000 rating came in at 58, 6 below the listed par. A -18 against the listed course par would be 46, rated at 1100 or 1099. Vista del Camino at The Memorial has played about 58 SSA but with more OB penalty padding. Black Bear only averaged 1 OB penalty per player which is low compared to last week with almost 6 per player per round in that wind.

I was kind of surprised when I first looked at the caddy book that they didn't use more OB.

In an interview with Simon, Cale said he only wanted to use natural OB so the players could go all out on many holes. He wanted them to have fun.

In an interview with Simon, Cale said he only wanted to use natural OB so the players could go all out on many holes. He wanted them to have fun.

This was a decision made Day 1. During the opening week, as I crossed paths with him on the course, I asked him if he was going to add OB like sand bunkers or unmowed grass to tighten it up - aside for some mandos, he said that he was not going to manufacture anything.

The course(s) need a few things:

1) Better water supply from the river. Aside for the bigger ponds, almost all of the water on the property has dried up. When it first opened, it was on the tail end of the seasonal flood. There was water in the creeks, the ponds were high, and some of the lowlands nearer the river had smaller puddles. That tightened up the course considerably. The creek is now non-existent, and that removes a lot of the danger on a few of the holes. The shrinkage of the ponds has given more room to land on several of the holes, allowing you to play more dangerously and punished less.

2) Trees - This is not something that can be solved in a year or two without the money to purchase and transplant mature trees. Most of the holes could greatly benefit from a few well-placed trees that would break up the otherwise wide-open fairways. It is no longer a regular golf course, so the land does not need to remain that open.

3) I am not sure how much of the property that he owns, but the right-side perimeter of Lynx is a giant hill that is heavily wooded. Some of the Lynx holes skirt this hill but otherwise do not take advantage of the sudden elevation change. If the property does indeed include this hill, even one hole up it and then a top of the world type hole down would drastically change the complexion of that course.

4) What is already being done but needs to continue - several locals players with money, skill, and influence have been adding their touches to the course. This includes bridges, benches, and landscaping. Without drastic changes as I mentioned above, this course is going to need to depend on aesthetics to keep a lot of people coming back. Clearwater is 45-90 minutes away from the main player base in the Twin Cities, and I do not know how long the shiny new course smell is going to last. It is so easy to lose discs that in reality it does not take much to walk away with a sour taste in your mouth. There is very little scoring separation if you can stay in the fairways and not lose discs - very little opportunities to do something spectacular to make up ground on the card unless you can throw super-far.

5) Get that clubhouse open. I think there was talk about getting the clubhouse near the entrance of the overall property. Right now, the course uses a small shed. It lacks beverage sales (which I really needed the other day because my water supply ran out quickly). If he also has access to the river, he needs to build something up to make kayaking and canoing more accessible. Money, money, money. I know. But having a small restaurant/ grill going in a clubhouse going would be huge. Not only would players likely spend money there, but the home owners who live in this gated community might support it as well. Other activities could draw in even more people.

Latest posts