• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Discraft's Green Mountain Championship Sept. 12-15

Insane that McBeth ( and Conrad ) can shoot a -8 . . 1071 Rated round . . .with 3 missed C1 putts and 2 OBs

Lots of rules. . at one point someone on the card reminded Hailey King that she could re-putt from her lie instead of going down the hill to where her putt rolled OB
A rule often forgotten

Nice to see cardmates stepping up like that too.

Nice to see cardmates stepping up like that too.

Sadly, it's more likely that the entire card would forget about the option available in the rules, or never knew it was there, than that one or more of them know it and say something.

Like I said before, it's good that these things come up on video. Unfortunately, the reality is that such occurrences are the only way that many people will be properly educated about the rules. History shows that most people can't be bothered to actually read the rules.

Insight you say? Oh, I've got LOADS of that. Have a seat, lay back and just relax. You're in a safe space now ru4por!

See, it takes a special brand of insecurity to get offended when encouraged to feel empathy for a girl who is clearly going through some internal struggles.

I am here for you though! I'd be happy to break it down for you if you feel you want help working through those socially crippling egocentric insecurities and the defense mechanisms they clearly trigger for you. That's a sad way to go through life and I feel bad for you, just out there flapping in the breeze, all emotionally tender and angry. Poor thing! Lmk, insight for days my man!

Guessing you took a couple psych classes, or perhaps have read Psychology Today a few times? You come to the forum, do some amateur psychology analysis on one of the leading FPO players, then give Rupor crap for calling you out on it? My suggestions would be to do some amateur psych on yourself.

Odd to her that Paige called a "falling putt" on her self on hole 16 R1. . but no one in the group confirmed the call

I think it was this hole, she went OB and took her shot from the "X" . .she could have moved back to my "O" and got a better angle ?
attachment.php

Several players on my card did this exact thing at Worlds this year. We were surprised when the players on the lead card did not take as much relief as the rules allow.

So at worlds when Paige did go OB into a big bush and had to stretch out max to even get a desent angle. . she could just have walked back in the line of play and played from there?

She could have. But remember that to do so costs a stroke. Assuming she knew the rule and remembered it, she still had to decide if backing up and then throwing one shot (2 strokes) would have been an advantage over throwing from her original lie and then throwing a second shot (2 strokes).

I wasn't there so I don't know the advantages v. disadvantages of the two choices there, but it's something to be taken into consideration by the player. It's part of 'course management', and IMHO that's one of Paige P's (few) weaknesses.

Guessing you took a couple psych classes, or perhaps have read Psychology Today a few times? You come to the forum, do some amateur psychology analysis on one of the leading FPO players, then give Rupor crap for calling you out on it? My suggestions would be to do some amateur psych on yourself.

You should guess less, you aren't very good at it.

She could have. But remember that to do so costs a stroke. Assuming she knew the rule and remembered it, she still had to decide if backing up and then throwing one shot (2 strokes) would have been an advantage over throwing from her original lie and then throwing a second shot (2 strokes).

If she was already OB there is no additional penalty for taking relief on the line of play. You don't have to take two penalty strokes if you go OB, just the one for going OB.

If the previous throw was not OB then yes, you would have to take an extra penalty stroke for taking optional relief.

Caveat: I have not watched this yet so I don't know if the throw went OB.

If she was already OB there is no additional penalty for taking relief on the line of play. You don't have to take two penalty strokes if you go OB, just the one for going OB.

If the previous throw was not OB then yes, you would have to take an extra penalty stroke for taking optional relief.

Caveat: I have not watched this yet so I don't know if the throw went OB.

Not Sure that it was Paige. .BUT quite a few players went OB at that spot and i never saw anyone use the "line of play" rule
But OB at that spot just made them pitch out, so using the rule could have saved a stroke

I can really see this rule to be a big advantage to use in quite a few cases

Not Sure that it was Paige. .BUT quite a few players went OB at that spot and i never saw anyone use the "line of play" rule
But OB at that spot just made them pitch out, so using the rule could have saved a stroke

I can really see this rule to be a big advantage to use in quite a few cases

And this is why I have always preached that a good working knowledge of the rule book is as important to being a good player as having a reliable forehand or turnover or overhand or roller (take your pick). The more well rounded you are, the better player you can be.

Knowing the rules and taking advantage of them when opportunities come up is no different than throwing a forehand through a tight gap when the alternative is a backhanded pitch-out to the fairway. It's available to anyone, it's up to the player to have the skill and execute it. Ignorance of the rules only hurts you as a player.

But we have no idea if she even have social anxiety, we just trying to "excuse" her sometimes odd behavior?

I scored one of her rounds at the Idlewild Open. I've never met her before and had only seen her on Videos up to that point. My experience with her was very good. She was a professional and pleasnt to speak with. She had an OB that was questionable and without going into details, I believe she handled it quite well. That being said, I don't think her coming to the scoring tent is that big of a deal. She had a bad tourney (for her) and she didn't act the way most of you think she should have. Who knows why she acted the way she did. It's none of our business. She didn't break any rules. I love all the armchair Quarterbacks who want to dis her for this. This is how she makes her living. She had a rough day at the office. Get over it.

Others already answered it, but here it is in the rulebook:

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80205
The line of play is the imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through and beyond the center of the marker disc.

Also accessible from the index: https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/appendix-e

My kinda guy. I try to ALWAYS answer rules questions with a link. Even if I paraphrase it first to a simpler format. Leaves zero chance of incorrect second hand information to keep floating around.

"Well, a guy on the interner told me that so and so"

Kind of odd in a way that your rating depends on how the other players are doing, i can think a 62 is a 62
But i do understand why it have to be that way
You have to keep in mind what a rating is. A lot of people misinterpret a rating as a measure of your skill level related to the course. Your rating is produced in part thanks to your skill level relative to the course, but that isn't what the rating is. A rating is a measure of how you play relative to the rest of the golfers on a given day/given conditions. Your rating specifically depends on how other players are doing, and is nothing more or less than that.

Yeah man. Lets say I could redesign my local pitch&putt course to have tons of super punitive OB, get dozens of 1000+ rated players that dont know where the OB is, get a early teetime in pristine conditions whereas a hurricane magically appears for the top dogs... Just maybe, even I could break 1000

You have to keep in mind what a rating is. A lot of people misinterpret a rating as a measure of your skill level related to the course. Your rating is produced in part thanks to your skill level relative to the course, but that isn't what the rating is. A rating is a measure of how you play relative to the rest of the golfers on a given day/given conditions. Your rating specifically depends on how other players are doing, and is nothing more or less than that.

In other words, the best way to get a high rating is to give all your competitors food poisoning. Hamburger anyone? No really, I was happy to cook...

My question would be why is it this way? As an example, if you are 950, McBeth is 1050, and I am 850 and we play same tourney, same tees. We all shoot 54. If that's the best or close to the best score in the round, it'll probably be rated 1050. The next tourney McBeth isn't there, and you're 950 is the highest in the field. Again, we both shoot 54. It'll be about 950. In golf if I shoot 72 on a course rated 70.8, it's going to be a 1 handicap...no matter who else played that day. Aren't we all playing against the course, and not the field????

Latest posts