• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.

The event fee for 2019 was $2,500 and that went towards the DGPT Finale. The DGPT Finale has an approximate $50,000 payout with no entry fees, so the event fees made up about half of that. The rest (I presume) just came from sponsors. But as JVD said, it doesn't really matter how you classify it as its one big pot. But the original intention of the event fee was to boost the DGPT Finale payout.

Steve also lowered the event fee for 2019 based on how many years you have been on the tour. I actually told him to increase the event fee, so he went the other way. He told me at the time that eventually the DGPT should be paying the events something.

Also, as I said somewhere else, it is my 100% goal to have Smashboxxx cover Worlds and be a big part of Worlds. I would be shocked if we didn't make that happen.

Pretty great discussion here on all ends.

It's a chicken/egg argument to say DGPT or Jomez benefited more from each others success. I think it can be both.

I think it's wrong to say Jomez couldn't put on tour events because payouts would limit them. If anyone could drum up sponsor money, I think they could. Also, there's plenty of DGPT events that don't get as big of a turn out where Jomez could get the draw to the A-tier that's already getting more pros because it's more on route to another NT.

I went ahead and unsubscribed from DGPT youtube channel as a way to voice my disapproval, but I really do hope for the best for everyone involved. This seems short sighted by Dodge, though.

I think it's wrong to say Jomez couldn't put on tour events because payouts would limit them. If anyone could drum up sponsor money, I think they could. Also, there's plenty of DGPT events that don't get as big of a turn out where Jomez could get the draw to the A-tier that's already getting more pros because it's more on route to another NT.

I'd bet a commitment from Jomez (or CCDG) would help a TD get more tournament sponsors and create a bigger purse. And both Jomez and a bigger purse mean more top pros.

83f454e6dfaea34dd50a2bbcc967bed5.jpg

Dodge, or whoever is responding on the account, is really trying to make this media switch go smoothly....

It's not like we all don't know how this is gonna play out right? DGPT/Steve are going to low ball offer Jomez/CCDG/Smash and when they rightfully decline his low ball offer he will blame them for not being part of the tour. Steve has already laid the ground work for this BS move with his we made an offer and the ball is in their court now post. DGPT is gonna hire their own video folks and DG coverage will regress 5 years while they attempt to figure it out. It's a shame Steve is being such a rat and and playing this out publicly to paint himself as the victim when this all blows up and fans are upset with not Jomez/CCDG/Smash not involved after all they did to help build up DG coverage.

From my understanding we already know what the offer is from DGPT from Cory Murrell. MPO 3rd card and FPO 2nd card. I doubt there's more than 3 DGPT events those are getting views.

I'm guessing the Live will be free because sponsors pay for that, and Patreon will get first access to post and up to a week later post is free, with the similar ads to Live.

Anybody else have a different guess at the model?

yah, I think it will be free/free. I just don't see Dodge's thinking short term gain like that. I think step 1 is to consolidate the tour/brand into 1 controlling asset/stream/channel, etc, that he has 100% control of. Step 2 is still the mystery....

yah, I think it will be free/free. I just don't see Dodge's thinking short term gain like that. I think step 1 is to consolidate the tour/brand into 1 controlling asset/stream/channel, etc, that he has 100% control of. Step 2 is still the mystery....

Step 2 is piss off all the loyal CCDG/Jomez/Smash fans that love their media outlets/personalities.

How he went about it, after using them to gain credibility, and then gives them such a ****ty offer, just feels dirty.

I'd love to see the players/fans come together in support of the current media, maybe give Dodge a wake up call.

I'm clearly salty.

Step 2 is piss off all the loyal CCDG/Jomez/Smash fans that love their media outlets/personalities.

How he went about it, after using them to gain credibility, and then gives them such a ****ty offer, just feels dirty.

I'd love to see the players/fans come together in support of the current media, maybe give Dodge a wake up call.

I'm clearly salty.
I'm going to support the current media.

Listen... coming from a guy who was just fired from the DGTP...

1. Please give Dodge a chance. None of us know what the 2019 media plan is going to be. He is relying on it quite a bit, so I am expecting big things from it. And from what I have experienced over the past 3 years, don't count Steve Dodge out. He has ways of surprising you.

2. I highly doubt Jomez is in... IF he needs to put the videos on the DGPT page. Obviously anything can change in negotiations. If Jomez can put the footage on his own page, then anything can happen. Even third card of a DGPT event could be better than a large A-tier on the same weekend.

The minimum that the DGPT needs to have is:
-Next day coverage for FPO & MPO1 & 2 cards.
-They will have live coverage of at least the FPO1, MPO1, & MPO2 cards.

I am guessing addition to the above:
-Weekly event review packages
-In depth player bios
-Regular highlight packages

Surprised if it happens:
-Announcement of DGPT coverage on an additional location other than YouTube.

My big head-shaker is that if you didn't have your 2019 plan ready... don't fire SmashBoxx yet, wait 1 week. Have your ducks in a row, and that wasn't the case in this instance.

Pretty great discussion here on all ends.

It's a chicken/egg argument to say DGPT or Jomez benefited more from each others success. I think it can be both.

I went ahead and unsubscribed from DGPT youtube channel as a way to voice my disapproval, but I really do hope for the best for everyone involved. This seems short sighted by Dodge, though.

You're going to boycott DGPT event and coverage? Man, that is pretty intense loyalty, if you don't have a personal investment in the other media coverage organizations or people.

I feel no loyalty, could be a personal shortcoming. I shall not intentionally withhold something I like, from myself. Sounds like the only one coming out on the short end is me, if I do.

I went ahead and unsubscribed from DGPT youtube channel as a way to voice my disapproval, but I really do hope for the best for everyone involved.

Same here. I'm not particularly interested in what Steve Dodge has to offer at this point.

Steve should be looking to get paid by Jomez, ccdg, etc to film DGPT events. Then those guys get paid by advertisers, YouTube, and patreon. Maybe their isn't enough money in advertising to support this currently but I don't think having an in house video team will work out very well. Time will tell.

The biggest problem seems to still stem from the fact that everyone wants to "grow their own channel". I'm guessing getting paid and having a credit in the production "Filmed & Produced by Jomez Pro" wasn't enough, they probably also wanted the content on their channel either at the same time or in the future so they could continue to grow their own channel and a compromise couldn't be made.

There's still some things missing that we'll learn more about later, Dodge has been quoted saying he wants better production which is one of the reasons he's taking it in house. This makes me think he is either considering some kind of ppv model or he is trying to sell a content package to a major distribution channel on cable, etc.

The biggest problem seems to still stem from the fact that everyone wants to "grow their own channel". I'm guessing getting paid and having a credit in the production "Filmed & Produced by Jomez Pro" wasn't enough, they probably also wanted the content on their channel either at the same time or in the future so they could continue to grow their own channel and a compromise couldn't be made.

There's still some things missing that we'll learn more about later, Dodge has been quoted saying he wants better production which is one of the reasons he's taking it in house. This makes me think he is either considering some kind of ppv model or he is trying to sell a content package to a major distribution channel on cable, etc.

They want to grow their brand and channel because it is their only source of income.

If the DGPT pays for production I don't think Jomez or CCDG would mind filming for them under the DGPT banner.

Obviously it would have to be fair compensation not just table scraps.

By the way. Notice that all sports media is completely the opposite of Dodge's new model. Licensed content produced and published by independent channels is the norm.

I don't understand all of the negativity. Seeing Smashboxx grow over the years has been incredible. What Terry and JV have accomplished with a limited budget and equipment has been nothing short of amazing. But there is a hard ceiling on what they can accomplish with their limited time and resources. This was bound to happen at some point... I didn't expect it to happen this early but Smashboxx will probably be better off in the long run having it happen now rather than later when they are even more heavily invested and reliant on the Pro Tour.

Steve does have an offer out to Jomez. Is it possible that Steve will use his film crew, then outsource the production to Jomez for next day turnaround? Regardless, Jomez and CCDG will be fine without the pro tour. There are plenty of other tournaments and projects that will keep them relevant. I would love to see those two companies continue to expand their offerings. Champs vs. Chumps, In the Bag videos, Basket Dash, etc. I don't see a Jomez tour happening, but I could see the possibility of pre-tournament skins matches or distance/accuracy contests being very successful. A Jomez produced distance/accuracy contest between Simon and Eagle would probably get 10 times more views than any tournament round.

This change will be good for the sport in the long run. I am looking forward to seeing what a full-time professional media person can do for the Pro Tour.

Latest posts