• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: MVP Open at Maple Hill Aug 30-Sept 1

Are you referring to GG? Seemed he was 100% fine with taking solo 2nd place. One thing puzzles me about Paul lately. He seems so subdued when he wins. I'd like to see a bit more interaction with the fans, maybe give a few high fives, etc. Maybe he's just trying to mirror other pros in larger sports and trying to maintain that larger than life mystique, etc. I enjoy seeing Paul dominate, but I found myself rooting for GG/Simon the entire round. Still...it was a great show. :clap:

I don't disagree with you but I think Paul might be doing the "act like you've been there before" attitude. (Spoiler: he has ;) )

I don't know him or his wife but when he won the Worlds I thought she over reacted. But like I said, I don't know her.

I did enjoy the suspense of the final round, some really good golf.

I don't disagree with you but I think Paul might be doing the "act like you've been there before" attitude. (Spoiler: he has ;) )

I don't know him or his wife but when he won the Worlds I thought she over reacted. But like I said, I don't know her.

Well, to put things into perspective, the last time Paul won Worlds, he was dating Jennifer Allen. And now he and Hannah have been married for over a year. This is her first time seeing her man crowned world champ. I'd say she had reason to be emotional.

Well, to put things into perspective, the last time Paul won Worlds, he was dating Jennifer Allen. And now he and Hannah have been married for over a year. This is her first time seeing her man crowned world champ. I'd say she had reason to be emotional.

And there were some who said Hannah was the reason Paul couldn't get his 5th. That could account for the release of some pent up emotion.

Paul said in one of his interviews before (?) Worlds that Hannah is a driving force to get him out to play and practice.
I believe his words were something like 'she wants to get out and play more than me', but not sure of the exact wording he used.
Anyways, I personally don't see anything strange with her reaction or with his (lack of?) reaction.
Bear Bryant told his players to act like they've been there before.

To bad Henna and Eveliina could not stay a week longer in the US and played in the MVP open, i have a feeling that this course would have suited their game quite well

Man, what a finish. Pulling for GG to get the win...man his putting and woods game have come a long way since he started touring again and he's definitely much more than just a big distance guy.

I applaud Gurthie's non-self destructive decision on 18.

Going for it on 17 was the more interesting question. Nate called out on the broadcast that he shouldn't, but given the strengths of his game it did represent a path to tying or even taking the lead if McBeth failed to get up and down. I think it was the probably the right call.

I agree. Going for it on 17 was a huge risk and I think he was wise to lay up. It was a reasonable calculation to assure himself of the par and force McBeth to make a difficult putt to extend his lead. My guess is that GG's chances of making the putt for birdie were about the same as McBeth missing his...that's probably the difference in the strengths of their putting games. So GG making and McBeth missing was probably the least likely outcome.

As for the money thing...there are maybe five guys on tour for which a few hundred dollars isn't make or break. Sure, losing out on a few hundred probably doesn't prevent a player from getting to the next tournament, but it could be the difference in being able to stay on tour three months down the road.

Solo second place at MVP represents the second biggest payday of GG's career (Masters Cup being #1). I can't blame him at all for locking that in versus risking dropping to a tie (a loss of ~$500) or even out of second into fourth (a loss of ~$1000).

McBeth is just so impossible.

Dead on accurate.

Did GG really go Wraith -> Sonic on hole 1 ?!? 835ft with a Wraith and Sonic upshot

Everyone on that card throw FAR. . and GG outdrive them with a 11 speed driver :confused:

Did GG really go Wraith -> Sonic on hole 1 ?!? 835ft with a Wraith and Sonic upshot

Everyone on that card throw FAR. . and GG outdrive them with a 11 speed driver :confused:
Once you get to a certain place, whether it is an 11, 12, etc. doesn't matter as much for this kind of distance. It makes a difference when they go out to a distance competiton, but for something like this - a downhill 600+ ft drive - they're going to choose the disc based on the shape of its flight more than anything. If they connect with the right speed, spin, and angle of release - each of the very high end guys is going to get or not get that distance based more on how perfect they throw their individual shot, regardless of disc speed as long as the discs are somewhat comparable.

But still. .you don´t see many players going up to the tee on a 835ft hole with a 11-speed driver

But still. .you don´t see many players going up to the tee on a 835ft hole with a 11-speed driver

Few can throw as far as Garrett. He's been playing long enough that he probably latched on to the Wraith when it was new to the market and never bothered to "upgrade" since whatever he might gain in speed with a Destroyer or Boss or whatever is lost by the change in flight paths and release angles required to execute similar shots.

I intend to step to that same tee this weekend and throw a putter, if you're looking for the rare player that's going waaaay low speed there. I don't have the arm to get over that pond with the fastest disc in the world, so I'll be laying up and trying to land somewhere near where GG landed with my second shot (though realistically I'll probably be closer to where Barsby landed).

GG

I agree. Going for it on 17 was a huge risk and I think he was wise to lay up. It was a reasonable calculation to assure himself of the par and force McBeth to make a difficult putt to extend his lead. My guess is that GG's chances of making the putt for birdie were about the same as McBeth missing his...that's probably the difference in the strengths of their putting games. So GG making and McBeth missing was probably the least likely outcome.

As for the money thing...there are maybe five guys on tour for which a few hundred dollars isn't make or break. Sure, losing out on a few hundred probably doesn't prevent a player from getting to the next tournament, but it could be the difference in being able to stay on tour three months down the road.

Solo second place at MVP represents the second biggest payday of GG's career (Masters Cup being #1). I can't blame him at all for locking that in versus risking dropping to a tie (a loss of ~$500) or even out of second into fourth (a loss of ~$1000).

Dead on accurate.

PDGA Garrett Gurthie #13864

Santa Cruz Masters Cup: $5000

Jonesboro Open: $2325

Maple Hill (MVP) Open: $2319 :thmbup:

I intend to step to that same tee this weekend and throw a putter, if you're looking for the rare player that's going waaaay low speed there. I don't have the arm to get over that pond with the fastest disc in the world, so I'll be laying up and trying to land somewhere near where GG landed with my second shot (though realistically I'll probably be closer to where Barsby landed).

Isn't there some dry, bailout area to the left of the pond? Ever since I've seen #1 at Maple Hill, I'm thinking "how would I play that hole"? I know I can't carry the pond, so throwing something that would fade left of the pond looks like a good bet.

In the distance contest, Simon hit the stone wall with his driver. He also threw a putter over the pond.

Isn't there some dry, bailout area to the left of the pond? Ever since I've seen #1 at Maple Hill, I'm thinking "how would I play that hole"? I know I can't carry the pond, so throwing something that would fade left of the pond looks like a good bet.

There's bailout left of the pond and short/right of the pond. The downside of the bailout left is it is in a bit of a depression and there are more trees to throw over/around to get to the cart road, making the second shot more difficult. Bailing out short/right leaves a shorter version of the women's tee shot from the white tee.

As a lefty, that area short and right is much more enticing to me. Plenty of righties prefer to go left though.

Few can throw as far as Garrett. He's been playing long enough that he probably latched on to the Wraith when it was new to the market and never bothered to "upgrade" since whatever he might gain in speed with a Destroyer or Boss or whatever is lost by the change in flight paths and release angles required to execute similar shots.

He was throwing a Katana on the longer holes at last year's BHMO.