• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Resistance is futile

ANNNND a few days before the start of the season, DGPT increases prices and sets up a 'tiered' membership.

Big news for the 2024 season! Disc Golf Network will offer THREE subscription plans for 2024. Each plan will offer upgraded live DVR (pause, rewind), 60fps streaming, and instant playback after each round.
Read more about the new subscription options and the full 2024 live media plan here:
https://www.dgpt.com/announcements/2024-live-media-plan/

ANNNND a few days before the start of the season, DGPT increases prices and sets up a 'tiered' membership.

Big news for the 2024 season! Disc Golf Network will offer THREE subscription plans for 2024. Each plan will offer upgraded live DVR (pause, rewind), 60fps streaming, and instant playback after each round.
Read more about the new subscription options and the full 2024 live media plan here:
https://www.dgpt.com/announcements/2024-live-media-plan/
Lol.....pass. I'll go play, pull out a lawn chair, a couple frosty beverages and watch 18 groups of AMs play the 18th hole. More entertaining than pros throwing golf course hyzers....of course, I cannot rewind or pause.

For the increase in price, you'd hope they'd add search back to the Apple TV app. Oh, and stop logging me out when I leave the app. The really dumb thing was that the app was fine until they did the re-write

Isn't the "standard" option basically what we have had in the past but with more flexibility (rewind, etc), ad free Jomez, and no EO or USDGC? I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what I paid before.

Not sure how much free YouTubby you're actually getting this year -

first round of all DGPT events (DGPT, DGPT+, and Playoffs) and select PDGA Pro Majors for free on the DGPT's YouTube channel. Tournament Central's FPO pre-round show and the "half-time" (FPO recap/MPO preview) show will also be available for free on YouTube for the first round of each event.

Not sure how much free YouTubby you're actually getting this year -

first round of all DGPT events (DGPT, DGPT+, and Playoffs) and select PDGA Pro Majors for free on the DGPT's YouTube channel. Tournament Central's FPO pre-round show and the "half-time" (FPO recap/MPO preview) show will also be available for free on YouTube for the first round of each event.
any word on if they plan to show the "highlights"

i dont really watch full tournies anymoar except for wooded play and worlds

This seems like venture capital behavior but not even good vc because they missed their outgroup audience momentum by years.

What is their end goal here? Reduce viewership and profit as much as possible off what's left?

How would someone who doesn't disc golf even find this weird pay per view niche sport broadcasting? What's the path to increase paying viewers?

Imagine 5 yrs ago if we would have been told we could watch all the Pros play LIVE disc golf each week with multiple cameras and commentary on MPO and FPO. We would have been thrilled! I think we forget how early on in the sport we still are and there will still be more changes down the road.
That is a good question to how will the DGPT increase viewership? I believe they have done a lot to grow the availability of tournaments and media but what is going to grow it to 100k - 500k up to 1-2 mil live viewers?

This seems like venture capital behavior but not even good vc because they missed their outgroup audience momentum by years.

What is their end goal here? Reduce viewership and profit as much as possible off what's left?

How would someone who doesn't disc golf even find this weird pay per view niche sport broadcasting? What's the path to increase paying viewers?
This has always been my take on the DGPT debacle. Every move they have made seems to make it more difficult to find new eyes and easier for current viewership to walk away. I guess, once the sport is grown, they will make millions then.

Disc golfers are the biggest group of winers and crybabies I've ever seen. 5 years ago I paid way more for MLBs streaming service. It worked great in the preseason, but when regular season it was way more pixelated that any woods golf I've seen on dgn. One bad baseball contract for an over the hill player is way more than DGN's budget. Over the last 4 years of Pujols' career he made 27, 28, 29 and 30 million. DGN is by no means perfect, but they are improving as they go along.

Last edited:
Disc golfers are the biggest group of winers and crybabies I've ever seen. 5 years ago I paid way more for MLBs streaming service. It worked great in the preseason, but when regular season it was way more pixelated that any woods golf I've seen on dgn. One bad baseball contract for an over the hill player is way more than DGN's budget. Over the last 4 years of Pujols' career he made 27, 28, 29 and 30 million. DGN is by no means perfect, but they are improving as they go along.
Did you really just compare MLB and disc golf?

Did you really just compare MLB and disc golf?
I did. I was way more mad at MLB for a pixelated screen. At least disc golf can blame lack of money and cell towers.

I also forgot that since I was in market I couldn't watch the game until it was over. Jomez is free and has a clear picture.

If you stick around long enough I'll compare myself to Channing Tatum.

I certainly am not going to be shocked when the DGPT announces that we will have to join and pay for live scoring. Seems in tune with their current strategies and dumping UDisc.

I certainly am not going to be shocked when the DGPT announces that we will have to join and pay for live scoring. Seems in tune with their current strategies and dumping UDisc.
I'm trying to imagine why someone would pay for live scoring but I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely since PDGA now completely oversees live scoring with StatMando needing to create enhanced scoring displays to rival UDisc Live plus the Basic streaming plan is free for PDGA members.

I think the DGPT Brass have realized that they are never going to sell live or even post-produced disc golf to the masses in the U.S.

Disc golfers barely watch live and our post-produced numbers aren't that impressive.

Perhaps they'll have better luck in the Euro/Nordic market.

A dozen years ago when I was first introduced to disc golf, I was attracted by the community and the innocence. The locals who prepared the courses and volunteered to help with the event were doing it simply for the love of the game. Now that the DGPT is trying to control and monetize every part of the experience, I'm quickly losing interest as a viewer. It's become just another sport competing for my time and money, and there are more entertaining and economical options. Every aspect of the game has turned into a cash grab. I certainly wouldn't volunteer my time and effort so the DGPT could blow into town and make a quick buck. I'd feel like a sap.

Last edited:
There was a time when I watched as much DG content as I could. That it was free and fairly easily found was a big plus. As DGPT has grown, the pros have experienced fairly significant financial gain. I'm happy for them. However, the cost to watch has driven many of us away from consuming the content. It's to the point where I no longer recognize the names of pros and I don't really care. I'm not whining about the cost. PPV is the world we live in. I choose to not pay to watch any sports. My choice. So it goes. Cheers to anyone who pays and feels like it's worth it. I don't.

Latest posts