• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc for wife who just wants to have fun

So many mentions of a leopard, I just added a 150 pink leopard to the order.

That was what I bought my wife, and she hated the way it felt in her hand. She's throwing and loving a 153 Relay and a 15? DX Gazelle. I also tracked down a 150ish Buzzz which she does OK with, and she's switching back and forth between the Whale and the Roach for her putter. I'm noticing that with her smaller hands anything much beyond a 6 speed is uncomfortable for her, and shallow putters seem to be her favorite. Trying to get her to use the "right" disc for any given situation is a waste of time. The more I leave her alone and just let her throw, the more she wants to come play.

That was what I bought my wife, and she hated the way it felt in her hand. She's throwing and loving a 153 Relay and a 15? DX Gazelle. I also tracked down a 150ish Buzzz which she does OK with, and she's switching back and forth between the Whale and the Roach for her putter. I'm noticing that with her smaller hands anything much beyond a 6 speed is uncomfortable for her, and shallow putters seem to be her favorite. Trying to get her to use the "right" disc for any given situation is a waste of time. The more I leave her alone and just let her throw, the more she wants to come play.

Sounds like she might like the Colt, Stud, Mirage class of discs.

At those distances I would get her a Super Class disc (SuperHero, Zephyr, Pulsar). Those are all easier to throw than anything else already mentioned.

I just don't understand how anyone could hate the feel of a Leo and love a Gazelle. I must have poor nerve endings.

That was what I bought my wife, and she hated the way it felt in her hand. ... Trying to get her to use the "right" disc for any given situation is a waste of time. The more I leave her alone and just let her throw, the more she wants to come play.

Good points. My wife tried a lot of discs (since I was trying to get her to try them) but eventually she found she liked a beat-up DX Leopard. I'm not sure of the weight. Point is, she should like how it feels and how it flies for her. Then leave well enough alone. She's super happy playing a one-disc round, and putts with the leopard more than with her putter.

I obviously enjoy the "disc-choice" game way more than she does, as well as the "get and try new plastic" game...

My girlfriend is like this too, and I just bought her her first two discs, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. The discs I got her are working out well:

150's MVP atom for putting (she is nailing putts with this thing so nonchalantly...its great)
150's dx stingray for approaches (she doesn't even wanna throw tee-shots yet)

Make sure they're pink, too. :D I almost got her a Lightning rubber putter or upshot because they come in cool pink/purple swirly colors.

Trying to get her to use the "right" disc for any given situation is a waste of time....
Yeah, I've mostly given up on that...mostly. :wall: It is hard to completely give up--my wife is more athletically gifted than I am. If she would really pay attention to that stuff, put in the time, take it seriously, etc., she could easily be better than me and, I believe, be quite competitive in tournaments.

She took the Opto Diamond that I wasn't using--whatever possessed me to buy a dark purple sparkle? :doh: --and has done very well with it. She also took my Blowfly and an extra Blowfly II, and bags a Rubber Putter. I replaced the Blowfly and got an easier to see Diamond...and she took the new Diamond, bagging and using both Diamonds. <sigh>

so many, just keep it light. start her off with a mid as well. too much error with a sharp rimmed driver.

Try and see if you can find some ultra light discs. I have some 125g Buzzzes that are perfect for my daughter and wife who never play, except on occasion for fun.

Pearl is great. Also lat makes them in the retro plastic. MUCH better than the opto.

Mine girl has an opto pearl and a retro pearl. for her arm, the retro is awesome. She gets a real S and on a good toss almost 200ft. The opto is a like a gator for her. no

I can control both disc fine. They are very flippy.

Dx type plastic is just so good for beginners.

She also really liked a 150 leopard before I lost it.

Sounds like you got it covered with what's in the mail.... just wanted to toss in 150 Wedge as one of the ultimate beginner discs.. I bought one for the kid and it's a lot of fun to throw, I'd consider bagging one if I wasn't on the MVP train.

Honestly, I wouldn't even give her a distance driver or fairway driver. Get her a midrange like a Buzzz or Prodigy M3 or M4, something that doesn't require a lot of arm speed is going to be the biggest benefit for now.

Latest posts